OC Wishlist

1. If we’re looking for a true OC, then my home run hire would be Joe Brady. Give him whatever he wants and convince him that we’re giving him the same caliber of WR’s that he had to work with at LSU in 2019 when he dominated college football. 

He can manage the game plan and Hugh Freeze can call plays. Remember - Joe Brady didn’t call plays at LSU, just designed the game plan.

2. If Freeze wants to take full control of the entire offense, then hire a recruiter - Derrick Nix or Dameyune Craig. Kent Austin can continue to coach the QB’s in his off-the-field role. But, we need to hire an elite recruiter to allow Freeze to take full control of the offense.

It doesn’t matter. HF is the HC. He has his offense. Whoever he gets will have to be what HE wants. It’s not a big deal. 

Joe Brady had Joe Burrow. Burrow and those all star receivers made the coaches look good. He wouldn’t replicate that success at Auburn, he’s the OC with the Bills now I doubt he wants to come back to college just to not even call plays 

Edited by Sizzle
  • Like 4

With the idea of an OC who was big into recruiting and game planning, but not game-day play calling, one that I would want to consider is Jake Peetz at LSU. He was an assistant under Saban, has coached with the Carolina Panthers, LA Rams, Washington Redskins, Jacksonville Jaguars and Oakland Raiders. And he was OC at LSU before Kelly arrived with his crew. With that kind of experience, I would hope he could recruit. He certainly has the NFL cred.

Montgomery was really not being paid like OCs at most competitive Power5 universities. 

I'll be the heretic and suggest there's a reason Freeze's offense hasnt looked anything like his typical O since he's been at Auburn. I think he's looking for an OC that can give this young talent an identity other than typical Freezball. Monty was a freezeball disciple without Freeze's instincts.

Just make it Kent Austin.  We don’t need to do the who’s calling plays thing again.  We did that for 8 years with Gus.  Let Hugh run the offense and its success or failure can fall directly on his shoulders.  He’s already shown that he deflects blame when he’s not in control.  Leave no doubt.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Just make it Kent Austin.  We don’t need to do the who’s calling plays thing again.  We did that for 8 years with Gus.  Let Hugh run the offense and its success or failure can fall directly on his shoulders.  He’s already shown that he deflects blame when he’s not in control.  Leave no doubt.

Thank you for this post. Could not agree more. I think the up tempo offenses have been figured out now, by strong defenses. Unfortunately, even with all these hopeful great receivers coming in, I see little reason to be overly confident in next years O either, so I don’t think it will matter who the OC is. 

Freeze has SAID he wants to be more involved in recruiting and less in babysitting the offense. Thats a dern shame IMHO but if accurate, there are NFL OC's that engineered competent Freeze-ish offenses this season for otherwise dreadful teams/HCs.