I don't get all the Purdue love

Just read an article that said they are the best team in the country "by a wide margin". They lack athleticism in the backcourt. Edey is a great scorer and shot blocker, but is slow and struggles from the line at times (saw him Miss like 6 FT in a row early in the year). In addition, they have a history of sh---ing the bed in March, even losing to a 16 last year. Put it this way, if we aren't a #1 seed, I would LOVE for them to be the #1 seed in our region 

Past is not future, but yes, they've under-performed come tournament time. Personally, I think Wisconsin and Illinois are probably better teams in the Big10.

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched #2 Purdue beat #6 Wisconsin on Wisky's home court, 75-69.  They looked pretty athletic to me.  Their 3 guards: Jones, Smith & Loyer scored 20, 19 & 12 points while Edey scored 18.  Edey is one heck of a force around the basket too.  You ain't going to beat him driving to the basket.  Hot shooting from behind the arc, maybe.  

Zach Edey is a problem for opponents. He is always parked down low, easy to hit with a pass, and hard to stop when it happens. No disrespect to Broome and Cardwell but I don't think they'd be able to handle him. They could employ the Hack-A-Shaq strategy although I feel the best strategy is getting him in foul trouble. Auburn guards don't seem to like feeding the post in Auburn's offense.

They're starters play a lot of minutes every game; maybe 2 or 3 players help from the bench but only 1 bench player seems to score well.  I could see foul issues could be an issue for them when they rely on their starters so much.  Also, in the March run you have to be prepared to play a lot of games with only so many days off between matches.  

If they stay a #1 seed, I to hope we are in their bracket too.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2024 at 3:10 PM, AUloggerhead said:

Just watched #2 Purdue beat #6 Wisconsin on Wisky's home court, 75-69.  They looked pretty athletic to me.  Their 3 guards: Jones, Smith & Loyer scored 20, 19 & 12 points while Edey scored 18.  Edey is one heck of a force around the basket too.  You ain't going to beat him driving to the basket.  Hot shooting from behind the arc, maybe.  

Looking at the scoring you just posted, 69 of their 75 points were scored by 4 players.  I like the sound of that as opposed to our scoring distribution.   If you can shut their 4 scorers down, or hold them in check, they have nobody to take up the slack.  We have a number of players who can take up our 2 main scorers slack if they have a bad game.   I like our chances better with our scenario.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2024 at 8:03 AM, arktiger1975 said:

Just read an article that said they are the best team in the country "by a wide margin". They lack athleticism in the backcourt. Edey is a great scorer and shot blocker, but is slow and struggles from the line at times (saw him Miss like 6 FT in a row early in the year). In addition, they have a history of sh---ing the bed in March, even losing to a 16 last year. Put it this way, if we aren't a #1 seed, I would LOVE for them to be the #1 seed in our region 

Every time I see Zach Edey, I hear "FEE FIE FO FUM..." in my head.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ArgoEagle said:

Looking at the scoring you just posted, 69 of their 75 points were scored by 4 players.  I like the sound of that as opposed to our scoring distribution.   If you can shut their 4 scorers down, or hold them in check, they have nobody to take up the slack.  We have a number of players who can take up our 2 main scorers slack if they have a bad game.   I like our chances better with our scenario.

Purdue reminds me a lot of Virginia.  Perennial March chokers (outside of UVA in 2019 where they had it giftwrapped for them).