DJ Durkin to be named DC

Just now, NWALA Tiger said:

I sure wish we could have a discussion about Durkins x's and o's style. 

my apologies i have a short attention span. most of us are not experts  and are not knowledgeable about X's and O's so we have to wing it. we can still be friends if you like.

Just now, aubiefifty said:

my apologies i have a short attention span. most of us are not experts  and are not knowledgeable about X's and O's so we have to wing it. we can still be friends if you like.

I wasn't directing my comment toward anyone in particular. 

4 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I'm interested in seeing the board swing because I know we hated some Texas am and they were over hyped and bad on both sides of the ball

Just now, NWALA Tiger said:

i know but i am guilty...............busted it the word i believe. i am teasing as i have no beef with you ever.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

20 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I'm a nobody (on here) but if he ever wanted to do it barnacle would be a great mod

Not sure if this is a compliment or an insult! 🤣

• Haha 1

Just now, Barnacle said:

i second mr cole. i think you are awesome! you bring a lot of fun to the board.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I'll try to summarize some things hunter48 (a well known poster and coach on the various Auburn boards) posted on one of the pay sites:

--------------------

His scheme is "versatile".  Runs it out of a 4-2-5, which is the preferred scheme by most defensive coaches in this era of spread, no huddle and RPO offenses but can adjust to run heavy schemes as well, depending on how you employ the Edge LB and the "star" (safety/nickel/LB hybrid).

Tends to use sound "pattern match" zone schemes in coverage, but when he wants to go blitz heavy will shift to more man concepts.

Places a lot of responsibility and pressure on the safeties, so pairing him with McGriff and Kelly is a good brain trust to have for this aspect.

----------

Others more knowledgable than me can chime in if they want.  I'm just delivering the news.  I've never been a coach and don't know all the terminology such as 'pattern match zone.'

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

hunter also mentioned paying more attention to the metric "points per play" rather than "points per game."  The latter fails to take into account the situations a defense is put into such as having a terrible offense that gives the ball back to the opponent a lot, or whether you're facing hurry up or more traditional ball control type offenses more.

According to him, a 0.25 number in PPP is elite, anything between 0.25 and 0.30 is really good. A 0.25 PPP stat would mean it takes an offense an average of 28 plays to get 7 points.

And according to hunter, DJD's teams have had very good PPP numbers everywhere he's been.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, TitanTiger said:

hunter also mentioned paying more attention to the metric "points per play" rather than "points per game."  The latter fails to take into account the situations a defense is put into such as having a terrible offense that gives the ball back to the opponent a lot, or whether you're facing hurry up or more traditional ball control type offenses more.

According to him, a 0.25 number in PPP is elite, anything between 0.25 and 0.30 is really good. A 0.25 PPP stat would mean it takes an offense an average of 28 plays to get 7 points.

And according to hunter, DJD's teams have had very good PPP numbers everywhere he's been.

If his defenses wasn't too good at a&m do you think it was more because of personnel? Or maybe offense not being good?

28 minutes ago, cbo said:

Thanks, Barnacle. I knew you could provide a thoughtful analysis. There's a lot of room in between "he watched a kid die" and "why are we talking about this, kids are too soft these days." Anyone who cares about the team and the players should be interested in the facts here. 

100%

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, cole256 said:

offense not being good?

That's where I'd start

• Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Absolutely and if you have enough time to hit the ultimate....I imagine you can probably tell by my personality I was opinionated, hard headed, I got a bunch of whoopings from my mom and aunt.... But when it came to my grandfather. If he looked at me and just said the words I disappointed him I felt like I couldn't breathe.

He hardly had to speak words yet alone raise his voice. 

But IMO you are exactly right as long as I know you actually care about me, I can then trust that you are only telling me things for my food and if you are yelling it's because you are passionate and you care. 

To me this is a coach. I'll sacrifice for this. I'll give myself to something pure. It's not surprising his player made this speech after being inspired by his coach. 

Exactly!

A player can tell a fake coach faster than anyone. After that, it's over. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, cole256 said:

If his defenses wasn't too good at a&m do you think it was more because of personnel? Or maybe offense not being good?

Well, the offensive struggles the last few years are what ultimately caused A&M to fall short in the win column and got Jimbo fired (particularly since he's an offensive coach and until last year called his own plays).

The two years Durkin was there, A&M's offense was middling to bad:  

2023:  50th in total offense (406.9 yds per game) and 25th in scoring (33.3 pts per game)
2022:  93rd in total offense (361.2 ypg) and 101st in scoring (22.8 ppg)

But Durkin's defenses did pretty well and improved in total defense year over year:

2023:  19th in total defense (316.2 ypg) and 36th in scoring defense (22.1 ppg)
2022:  52nd in total defense (365.2 ypg) and 25th in scoring defense (21.2 ppg)

There was drop off from when their DC Mike Elko left after the 2021 season to take the Duke HC job, but they also lost 5 defensive players to the portal and 2 more to the NFL Draft.  And 2022 was a particularly abysmal year for them on offense as you can see above.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DAG said:

Ahh yes, totally objective at this point. Well they had the #1 run defense in the SEC last year so couldn't have been too consistent, which was pretty amazing because they were last the prior year, so clearly he at least knew he had to revamp it big time in his two years there. #1 in pass defense in 2022, drop to #6 in 2023. If anything it is inconsistent. So we shall see. The recruiting numbers will be there.

It may have been a sour grapes situation as far as I know. I was just trying to speak on actual football since the topic changed. Further, as much as I tried to ignore it and say it was sour grapes Boise State fans warned Auburn fans about Harsin.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Chaotic_zx said:

It may have been a sour grapes situation as far as I know. I was just trying to speak on actual football since the topic changed. Further, as much as I tried to ignore it and say it was sour grapes Boise State fans warned Auburn fans about Harsin.

Yeah and Liberty fans had warned us about Freeze penchant to lose games he shouldn’t , as well as , ole miss. Point being I like discussion about football but I also like to see what the stats say before I project that Durkin’s teams consistently give up big plays.  I am not sure that holds true. I am more worried about the annual variability of his two seasons  at Texas A&M which is a very small sample size . I am very impressed that in one year A&M went from last to first in the sec in run defense. 

Edited by DAG

13 hours ago, TigerOne said:

Can Freeze operate with anyone other than his “friends “?

no one in college football is worried or concerned by freeze and his rag tag coaching staff. It’s apparent that he has trouble with choosing the right coaches.

You forgot the yellow font

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, cbo said:

Thanks, Barnacle. I knew you could provide a thoughtful analysis. There's a lot of room in between "he watched a kid die" and "why are we talking about this, kids are too soft these days." Anyone who cares about the team and the players should be interested in the facts here. 

Y’all can stop with this level headed  and thoughtful conversation any time. There’s no room for that here.

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

Absolutely and if you have enough time to hit the ultimate....I imagine you can probably tell by my personality I was opinionated, hard headed, I got a bunch of whoopings from my mom and aunt.... But when it came to my grandfather. If he looked at me and just said the words I disappointed him I felt like I couldn't breathe.

He hardly had to speak words yet alone raise his voice. 

But IMO you are exactly right as long as I know you actually care about me, I can then trust that you are only telling me things for my food and if you are yelling it's because you are passionate and you care. 

To me this is a coach. I'll sacrifice for this. I'll give myself to something pure. It's not surprising his player made this speech after being inspired by his coach. 

I am a huuuge Detroit lions fan and Coach Campbell is such a players coach but damn he got a little Kiffin in him too with all of this going for it on fourth down lol. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bro Johnny Mac said:

You forgot the yellow font

The Society of Eeyore is a chorus around here with a one-note song.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, DAG said:

I am a huuuge Detroit lions fan and Coach Campbell is such a players coach but damn he got a little Kiffin in him too with all of this going for it on fourth down lol. 

I think he over did the go to not lose mode and didn't want to start playing shell and give up big plays and play not to lose. If their back didn't fumbled and maybe they get two of those drops back they would have had. I hate it for them but I'm so impressed how he ran that loser mentality out of there

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Barnacle said:

I've always been a fan of your demeanor, you're not just agreeing with everything and it's seems to be class even when you really telling a guy to shut the hell up. 

I imagine you count probably get two opposing sides to chill without mocking either. 

That's a big part of leadership, I admire that 

Love the hire . He can bring in talent . Stamp of approval ,,, like anyone cares what I think 

• Love 2

3 hours ago, DAG said:

Yeah and Liberty fans had warned us about Freeze penchant to lose games he shouldn’t , as well as , ole miss. Point being I like discussion about football but I also like to see what the stats say before I project that Durkin’s teams consistently give up big plays.  I am not sure that holds true. I am more worried about the annual variability of his two seasons  at Texas A&M which is a very small sample size . I am very impressed that in one year A&M went from last to first in the sec in run defense. 

In all fairness, he had quite a few 5 star and high 4 star players in his front 7 at A&M. I'm not saying he isn't a good coach and we may get to that point soon the way the coaches are recruiting. But I will have low expectations this first year. Obviously Ron Roberts had his issues, but I thought he got quite a bit out of our D and had them playing over their talent level for at least part of the year. 

Edited by HAPvsOA
  • Like 1

I will say that after reading the relevant portions of the Maryland investigation report, I can see why the the Maryland administration decided to keep Durkin on as coach.  My take on it is pretty much in line with what Barnacle summarized and having read this, the ESPN article and a smattering of other sources, I'm much more comfortable with the Durkin hire than I was when his name first surfaced.  

Despite what some of the Auburn twitter hand wringers will say about it, I think most of them are just going off some sensational headlines or actually don't care because they don't need any nudging to latch onto another way to bash Auburn for hiring Freeze.  They certainly didn't read the report.

• Like 3