DJ Durkin to be named DC

SIAP 

Auburn expected to hire Durkin as new DC

D.J. Durkin is expected to be Auburn's new defensive coordinator, Auburnundercover has learned.

Jason Caldwell11 hrs

A veteran defensive coach that spent the last four seasons working in the Southeastern Conference as the coordinator at first Ole Miss and then at Texas A&M the last two seasons, DJ Durkin is expected to make another move in the league with Hugh Freeze tabbing him to take over the role as the defensive coordinator for the Auburn Tigers, a source has confirmed to Auburnundercover.com.

Playing at Bowling Green from 1997-2000, Durkin got his coaching career started at his alma mater as a grad assistant and moved to Notre Dame in the same role before returning to Bowling Green as a full assistant in 2005. His first big opportunity came in 2007 when he moved to coach with Jim Harbaugh at Stanford. He spent three seasons there before going to Florida to reunite with Urban Meyer, who he got started with at Bowling Green.

Durkin was the defensive coordinator for the Gators in 2013-14 under Will Muschamp, taking over for Dan Quinn. He moved to Michigan as the defensive coordinator in 2015 before getting a shot as a head coach at Maryland in 2016. He coached for two seasons with the Terps but was fired after backlash from the death of Jordan McNair following a workout.

After consulting with the Atlanta Falcons the following season, Durkin was hired at Ole Miss where he coached for two seasons before making the move to Texas A&M.

Despite a team that struggled last season and eventually led to the firing of Jimbo Fisher, the Aggies were a solid team on defense last season, finishing 19th nationally in total defense. In his first season at Texas A&M, Durkin's defense finished 25th in the country in scoring defense. 

In his first season at Texas A&M, Durkin’s defense led the nation allowing the fewest passing yards per game at 156.2. The Aggies held opponents under 150 yards through the air in six games, including three games under 100 yards. Texas A&M ranked No. 17 in the nation and No. 4 in the SEC in passing defense efficiency (117.10) and ranked No. 22 in the country allowing 20.7 points per game, which ranked fourth in the SEC.

In addition to his significant experience on the field, Durkin has been equally accomplished on the recruiting trail. Durkin has helped ink nine top-25 classes, including five which ranked in the top 10 nationally. During his time at Florida, Durkin helped land four-straight top-11 recruiting classes and nine five-star prospects.

Prior to his time in Oxford, Durkin spent one season in the NFL as a consultant for the Atlanta Falcons in 2018 after serving as the head coach at Maryland for the 2016 and 2017 seasons. He doubled the Terrapins’ win total during his first season at the helm and excelled on the recruiting trail, bringing in consecutive top-30 signing classes for the first time in program history.

With a history of coaching linebackers, Durkin is expected to coach either inside or outside linebackers for the Tigers along with current linebacker coach Josh Aldridge. The roles are still to be defined.

More to come...

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ellitor said:

3 weeks is plenty of time to put a system in place. Remember the players can't practice a system til Spring ball starts. Right now they are mainly just lifting weights.

since you work for auburn do you get to see practice of hang out?

Durkin is qualified for the DC job. I hope he is successful at AU.

I am thankful that football coaches are not hired through a democratic election process because AU would have hired Turner Gill in 2008 and missed out on the 2010 BCS championship.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Auburn93 said:

you need to do some research.

He has far more issues than just doing research. But research would be his first start in the positive direction.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Viper said:

He has far more issues than just doing research. But research would be his first start in the positive direction.

would you care to tell us whats up that we might not know about? i will put you on my christmas card list..........

What happened depends on which team he is coaching. When he was at A&M he was an awful person. Now that he's here, he is a stand-up guy. That's the way it works in the college football world.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, peashooter said:

What happened depends on which team he is coaching. When he was at A&M he was an awful person. Now that he's here, he is a stand-up guy. That's the way it works in the college football world.

i hate jack wagons. i hope he has been read the riot act so he does not mistreat anyone.

@bigbird is it true that Roberts was let go primarily because of his personality and fit within the culture Freeze is trying to establish at Auburn? It's impossible to tell what is true and what is message board gossip. But, accepting the message board narrative that Roberts was too hard-nosed with his players to be a good fit here, it seems to me that Durkin, if we accept the reporting about him, is a nonsensical hire. 

Logically, at least one of the narratives - either that Robert's personality was toxic, or that Durkin's personality is toxic, must be a departure from reality.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ArgoEagle said:

If he can draw up a defense to stop 4th & 31 then I am all for him.

Would have been my first question in the interview 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

@bigbird is it true that Roberts was let go primarily because of his personality and fit within the culture Freeze is trying to establish at Auburn? It's impossible to tell what is true and what is message board gossip. But, accepting the message board narrative that Roberts was too hard-nosed with his players to be a good fit here, it seems to me that Durkin, if we accept the reporting about him, is a nonsensical hire. 

Logically, at least one of the narratives - either that Robert's personality was toxic, or that Durkin's personality is toxic, must be a departure from reality.

I am glad you asked. That has been my biggest beef. Unpopular opinion but I did not think Roberts did a bad job considering what he had. It is what it is though. I hope the best for Durkin because it would mean Auburn is successful. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, DAG said:

I am glad you asked. That has been my biggest beef. Unpopular opinion but I did not think Roberts did a bad job considering what he had. It is what it is though. I hope the best for Durkin because it would mean Auburn is successful. 

I don't think he did a bad job either, or at least not one that warranted being let go. That, and the fact that McGriff essentially left the program, support the narrative that there was something sour about Roberts, whether it was his treatment of players or his treatment of his assistant coaches. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

CRR did a great job as far as X&O's go.  There were personality conflicts.  That happens on staffs. It's no biggie. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just now, bigbird said:

CRR did a great job as far as X&O's go.  There were personality conflicts.  That happens on staffs. It's no biggie. 

Thanks - so this was not an instance of Roberts being too "hard-nosed"? Glad we can put that rumor to rest. 

• Like 1

Just now, Barnacle said:

Thanks - so this was not an instance of Roberts being too "hard-nosed"? Glad we can put that rumor to rest. 

Those that think "too hard-nosed" must not have been around Steele very much.  The conflicts, from my understanding, we're between the coaches. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Those that think "too hard-nosed" must not have been around Steele very much.  The conflicts, from my understanding, we're between the coaches. 

I was never around still but I would be amiss if I didn’t ask, didn’t he cause conflict with the head coach too? Just me being nosey . It seems like all the coaches now have a pretty good rapport with each other.

Edited by DAG

I stated earlier in the search some hesitancy about Durkin.  It wasn't really because of that kid's death though, as tragic as it was.  He wasn't there at the workout where it happened (and under NCAA rules wasn't permitted to be there for these conditioning workouts), and didn't make any of the decisions surrounding it.  His responsibility basically comes down it being his employee (the S&C coach) that ran the workouts.  

My problem was with the culture of the Maryland program with Durkin as HC.  Several players claiming they were mistreated, humiliated, belittled, harassed, insulted, and so on.  Some of the anecdotes seemed over the line.  That's on Durkin.  Then after the Maryland administration cleared him of any wrongdoing in the player's death, he had a team meeting and 2-3 or so players got upset and walked out the meeting.  A day or so later Maryland seemed to cave to the bad PR coming from that and the deceased kid's parents and fired Durkin.  

So I wondered what playing for Durkin is like.  I wondered what kind of leader he is.  Having told Roberts to find another job because of his abrasive nature and the dysfunctional culture it was creating here (McGriff quitting, then staying in an off field role, then deciding to leave for A&M when Roberts wasn't gone immediately after the season, only to come back once he was shown the door.  Multiple players threatening to transfer only to stay after Roberts was gone, etc), I was worried about whether we were going to hire another guy with similar personality traits and be back in this same turmoil ala Roberts in a season or two.  I think it was a valid point to bring up.  Apparently some at Auburn had similar questions and wanted to be sure about what happened at Maryland and what people who played for or coached with Durkin the last four years at OM and A&M had to say about some of these things.  I think it was something that needed to be done.  

So all that said, I believe these folks must have received feedback that settled their issues.  I'm trusting that's part of the reason it took this long to pull the trigger on him.  So I'm on board with Durkin until I hear a (current) reason not to be.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, DAG said:

I was never around still but I would be amiss if I didn’t ask, didn’t he cause conflict with the head coach too? Just me being nosey . It seems like all the coaches now have a pretty good rapport with each other.

Specifically to him? Not that I know. As a headache as a result of the other, Id say most definitely 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, bigbird said:

This, the players loved playing for Roberts.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bigbird said:

Kiffen and DJ were immediately identified as 1a/1b.  CHF wanted CK more due to personal familiarity, but CJG and CJT have experience with DJ. 

We waited until CK could talk, interviewed (he interviewed with NFL teams also), gave Him through the weekend to make a decision, and made our choice. Both obviously had contracts ready to execute. 

The other story that has been circulating is that there was a hold-up regarding Durkin's TAMU contract.  TAMU is apparently in between AD's and there was a matter of buy-out (either from TAMU's end or Durkin's) that needed to be resolved.  I suppose both the Kiffin story and the Durkin story could be true, just wondering how the two timelines align.

7 minutes ago, AUApostle said:

The other story that has been circulating is that there was a hold-up regarding Durkin's TAMU contract.  TAMU is apparently in between AD's and there was a matter of buy-out (either from TAMU's end or Durkin's) that needed to be resolved.  I suppose both the Kiffin story and the Durkin story could be true, just wondering how the two timelines align.

Interesting. Hadn’t heard the contract talk. 👍🏼

10 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I dont get this whole " giving him a 2nd chance" narrative.  He hasn't been sitting in a jail in Maryland.  He has been  DC at 2 SEC programs the last 4 yrs and by the stats provided,  he has done a good job.  He worked with Derrick Nix at Ole Miss, so I'm sure he vouched for him

Having to coach with Jimbo was not a semi-banishment? 😜 

Jokes aside, I get that his D had good numbers at A&M, but in all fairness, it was loaded with tons of high four-star and 5-star players. How has he done elsewhere? 

Edited by HAPvsOA