DJ Durkin to be named DC

1 hour ago, Barnacle said:

I'd be curious to know what UM paid for that nearly 200 page document.  Whatever amount, they overpaid for a lot of "yeah there were some people that felt mistreated, but hey there were a lot of people that thought it was very positive".  The biggest takeaway was that Court pretty much did Durkin in.  From the the conclusions section:

B. During Mr. Durkin’s Tenure, the Athletics Department Lacked a Culture of Accountability, did not Provide Adequate Oversight of the Football Program, and Failed to Provide Mr. Durkin with the Tools, Resources, and Guidance Necessary to Support and Educate a First-Time Head Coach in a Major Football Conference.

C. Mr. Court, on Too Many Occasions, Acted in a Manner Inconsistent with the University’s Values and Basic Principles of Respect for Others.

D. Both Mr. Durkin and Leadership in the Athletics Department Share Responsibility for the Failure to Supervise Mr. Court.

F. The Maryland Football Team did not have a “Toxic Culture,” but it did have a Culture Where Problems Festered Because Too Many Players Feared Speaking Out

• Dislike 1

Sooo back the question I asked a few pages back that never got addressed…

Anyone know anything about Durkin’s scheme?

3 hours ago, Barnacle said:

I don't think he did a bad job either, or at least not one that warranted being let go. That, and the fact that McGriff essentially left the program, support the narrative that there was something sour about Roberts, whether it was his treatment of players or his treatment of his assistant coaches. 

That plus he came right back after Roberts left.

32 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

Sooo back the question I asked a few pages back that never got addressed…

Anyone know anything about Durkin’s scheme?

Apparently on 4th & 31, he likes to rush three to four and drop the rest  🤪

• Haha 3

He is a good football mind, another retread, but respected. He also seems to be an a**hole , which can go one or two ways (mostly depending if you are winning). 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Win4AU said:

Kiffin must have decided to stay in the nfl.  

Durkin isn’t a bad hire.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, zeroforwinger said:

How disappointing. Were there not any DCs candidates who don’t ignore a player’s health until they die?

How disappointing Pat Dye was allowed to continue as HC in August 1983.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, zeroforwinger said:

How disappointing. Were there not any DCs candidates who don’t ignore a player’s health until they die?

Turn off espn

• Love 1

49 minutes ago, cbo said:

Cliffs notes? Only if you feel like it, Barnacle. 

There is a lot in there, but most of the complaints center around the strength and conditioning coach, Rick Court. Court was Durkin's first hire, and they were apparently close. Court was a hard-ass who, in addition to placing high expectations on his players, relied upon humiliation and questioning player's "manhood" in order to motivate. Almost universally, players reported that he would regularly use homophobic epithets against platers. F'ing p***y and f'ing fa***t were the two phrases most commonly used in the report. When he got heated he would throw or break things. Many players felt he regularly crossed the line, while some defended him. 

The personal complaints against Durkin himself were more benign, and the internal investigation doesn't touch on the death or the circumstances surrounding it at all. However, it does mention that prior to the tragedy, Durkin had requested that a licensed physician be present for all practices, which was never fulfilled. I don't think it's fair at all to directly attribute what happened to Durkin based on the limited information I have read. Importantly, the investigation that was conducted cleared him as I understand it. The report concludes that the medical staff also bears responsibility for the death.

The athletic department was in disarray at the time and the report concluded that Durkin and the program did not receive the support or oversight that it needed, particularly in light of Durkin being a first year head coach with a boat load of novel responsibilities. Moreover, at least one prior complaint about Court was circulated between the AD's office, the President's office, and the Compliance office. It was never attended to. It "slipped through the cracks." 

Maryland conducted player surveys prior to and after the tragedy. Unsurprisingly, player sentiment shifted negatively toward the program, Court, and Durkin after McNair passed. There are a lot of quotes from disgruntled players, but there were many players, coaches, and player's family members who supported Durkin. 

I think Durkin is an intense guy and hired some intense people to go and turn a program around, and one of them in particular went overboard. Durkin was a first year head coach, trying to establish a culture, and I think he wanted hard lines to be drawn in the sand. I think he drew them too far.  Durkin says that it wasn't his responsibility to oversee the S&C coach, that it was someone in the AD's office (this had been the case under the prior coach). He said he was unaware of the majority of the specific complaints levied against Court, but I think those denials lack credibility. I find it hard to believe he wasn't aware of how things were being handled.

I'm sure everyone can make up their own mind about Durkin, but the problem with the court of public opinion is that it generally operates without all the facts. I have questions, but I'm sure Auburn did too, as well as Ole Miss, TAMU, and hell, even Alabama. I guess those questions were answered to Auburn's satisfaction. 

• Thanks 5

7 hours ago, Barnacle said:

@bigbird is it true that Roberts was let go primarily because of his personality and fit within the culture Freeze is trying to establish at Auburn? It's impossible to tell what is true and what is message board gossip. But, accepting the message board narrative that Roberts was too hard-nosed with his players to be a good fit here, it seems to me that Durkin, if we accept the reporting about him, is a nonsensical hire. 

Logically, at least one of the narratives - either that Robert's personality was toxic, or that Durkin's personality is toxic, must be a departure from reality.

The problem with Roberts is he treated everyone poorly, including coworkers.

Big difference between being tough and being an ahole.

• Like 1

Some things about DJD's defensive scheme

Switches up 3 and 4 man fronts.

Usually with 3 down he will walk up an OLB. Loves versatility in his OLB and move them all over

Uses his nickles to blitz quite a bit much like RR.

Seems to prefer man more than zone as a whole, but will mix up coverages pretty well and run some good combos

edit- not sure what he will do here as a lot likely depends on personnel

Edited by Tigerpro2a
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Some things about DJD's defensive scheme

Switches up 3 and 4 man fronts.

Usually with 3 down he will walk up an OLB. Loves versatility in his OLB and move them all over

Uses his nickles to blitz quite a bit much like RR.

Seems to prefer man more than zone as a whole, but will mix up coverages pretty well and run some good combos

edit- not sure what he will do here as a lot likely depends on personnel

That all sounds refreshing.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I dont get this whole " giving him a 2nd chance" narrative.  He hasn't been sitting in a jail in Maryland.  He has been  DC at 2 SEC programs the last 4 yrs and by the stats provided,  he has done a good job.  He worked with Derrick Nix at Ole Miss, so I'm sure he vouched for him

People don't stick to their guns, anymore. It's all about the 'likes.'

2 hours ago, Barnacle said:

There is a lot in there, but most of the complaints center around the strength and conditioning coach, Rick Court. Court was Durkin's first hire, and they were apparently close. Court was a hard-ass who, in addition to placing high expectations on his players, relied upon humiliation and questioning player's "manhood" in order to motivate. Almost universally, players reported that he would regularly use homophobic epithets against platers. F'ing p***y and f'ing fa***t were the two phrases most commonly used in the report. When he got heated he would throw or break things. Many players felt he regularly crossed the line, while some defended him. 

The personal complaints against Durkin himself were more benign, and the internal investigation doesn't touch on the death or the circumstances surrounding it at all. However, it does mention that prior to the tragedy, Durkin had requested that a licensed physician be present for all practices, which was never fulfilled. I don't think it's fair at all to directly attribute what happened to Durkin based on the limited information I have read. Importantly, the investigation that was conducted cleared him as I understand it. The report concludes that the medical staff also bears responsibility for the death.

The athletic department was in disarray at the time and the report concluded that Durkin and the program did not receive the support or oversight that it needed, particularly in light of Durkin being a first year head coach with a boat load of novel responsibilities. Moreover, at least one prior complaint about Court was circulated between the AD's office, the President's office, and the Compliance office. It was never attended to. It "slipped through the cracks." 

Maryland conducted player surveys prior to and after the tragedy. Unsurprisingly, player sentiment shifted negatively toward the program, Court, and Durkin after McNair passed. There are a lot of quotes from disgruntled players, but there were many players, coaches, and player's family members who supported Durkin. 

I think Durkin is an intense guy and hired some intense people to go and turn a program around, and one of them in particular went overboard. Durkin was a first year head coach, trying to establish a culture, and I think he wanted hard lines to be drawn in the sand. I think he drew them too far.  Durkin says that it wasn't his responsibility to oversee the S&C coach, that it was someone in the AD's office (this had been the case under the prior coach). He said he was unaware of the majority of the specific complaints levied against Court, but I think those denials lack credibility. I find it hard to believe he wasn't aware of how things were being handled.

I'm sure everyone can make up their own mind about Durkin, but the problem with the court of public opinion is that it generally operates without all the facts. I have questions, but I'm sure Auburn did too, as well as Ole Miss, TAMU, and hell, even Alabama. I guess those questions were answered to Auburn's satisfaction. 

That's what this was about?!? 

🤣😂🤣

Just now, Swamp Eagle said:

That's what this was about?!? 

🤣😂🤣

It came about because a player died, and I don’t think Durkin is under scrutiny otherwise. 

The S&C coach was a clown, however. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

I just woke up and am a little groggy, but what’s this about us hiring Dunkin Donuts to coach?

There has to be a promotional idea there somewhere that when Durkin’s defense has a scoreless half you can redeem your ticket for a free coffee, if there is a shutout for the game then you get a coffee and a donut. Dunkin Donuts for Durkin Donuts (a little corny but it’s what came to mind)

• Like 1
  • Love 1

11 hours ago, creed said:

Are you saying missing assignments after 11 games and 15+ weeks of practice is on coaching?

People that are supportive can also point out when things are done incorrectly. Largely though, winning makes up for mistakes. If Auburn beat New Mexico State and Maryland then there aren't as many people second guessing Freeze. It was an all-around failure on this past Auburn team. The coaching staff failed to prepare the team and the team failed to prepare. It isn't an either or scenario. It was both.

22 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

Kelly was a home run IMHO, this guy's a wait & see.

I'm curious as to how long Durkin stays.  His time with any single program is a little over 2 years.

9 minutes ago, Elephant Tipper said:

I'm curious as to how long Durkin stays.  His time with any single program is a little over 2 years.

Coordinators rarely stay long anywhere though. Especially Auburn.

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

Coordinators rarely stay long anywhere though. Especially Auburn.

P.W. Underwood was an exception, and, man, what a pisser.

• Haha 1