DJ Durkin to be named DC

Just now, DAG said:

A lot of wasted time but glad it is over.

I agree, which leads me to wonder, did we whiff on our top choice(s)?

1 minute ago, PigskinPat said:

I agree, which leads me to wonder, did we whiff on our top choice(s)?

I think we were waiting on Kiffin and we got our answer.

• Like 3

Whiffed on our top choice and settled for the guy with the questionable background.

Stop me if you've heard this one before. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, cbo said:

Whiffed on our top choice and settled for the guy with the questionable background.

yeah I don't see the appeal with him  but whatever.

Edited by DAG
Actually, he never worked with freeze. I stand corrected.
  • Like 3

There was a time not too long ago when we would've considered this a homerun hire. I get the dark cloud from Maryland, but I can't help but feel like Durkin is the better choice over Kiffin.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I like the hire. If Saban had held on another year or two, DJD might very well have gotten a featured role in Saban’s coaching rehab show.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, DAG said:

yeah I don't see the appeal with him  but whatever.

Dropping the news at 9:30 PM on Monday doesn't exactly scream "confidence" but it is what it is. Hopefully it works out. 

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 1

There is upside to this hire, but with it comes baggage. Hugh understands that world of second chances. Hope it all works out for the best and we don't get burned.  Guy can coach. Be curious where he takes us formation wise.

49 minutes ago, cbo said:

absolutely not. Kelly would have been a settle. This is a great d.c. in recruiting and coaching. Freeze got his man.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, DAG said:

I think we were waiting on Kiffin and we got our answer.

no no no. contract issues had to be worked out. you need to do some research.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Auburn93 said:

no no no. contract issues had to be worked out. you need to do some research.

"You need to do some research." Translation I am a sheep and that is what I've been told at the nest.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Auburn93 said:

absolutely not. Kelly would have been a settle. This is a great d.c. in recruiting and coaching. Freeze got his man.

i fully agree. Durkin is a very good hire imo. There is a reason Saban wanted him before he retired. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Auburn93 said:

I assume you mean Kiffin and not Kelly?

Freeze wanted to hire Kiffin last year. He waited until Kiffin was bounced from the playoffs to make a DC hire. Durkin has been sitting there the entire time.

I won't pretend to know anything for a fact like you are, but logic dictates Kiffin was the first choice. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 1

I'll add... most the people (especially in Twitter and Social media spaces) griping about his background have no clue what actually happened. 

• Like 5

Just now, cbo said:

I assume you mean Kiffin and not Kelly?

Freeze wanted to hire Kiffin last year. He waited until Kiffin was bounced from the playoffs to make a DC hire. Durkin has been sitting there the entire time.

I won't pretend to know anything for a fact like you are, but logic dictates Kiffin was the first choice. 

Logic dictates that Chf wanted to interview him for sure. There is no evidence to say we got turned down or anything like that. from the jump people in the know have said kiffin and Durkin were the two leading candidates... why not do due diligence and wait to make sure your future DCs vision matches what you want. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Logic dictates that Chf wanted to interview him for sure. There is no evidence to say we got turned down or anything like that. from the jump people in the know have said kiffin and Durkin were the two leading candidates... why not do due diligence and wait to make sure your future DCs vision matches what you want. 

Maybe. I gave my opinion on what I think happened, based on the available information. I've been wrong before. 

What I do know is some people on here will suddenly believe Durkin was the top choice, whether or not that is accurate. Not saying that's you but it's the way it works. 

• Like 7

He’ll do fine. He’s a pretty good DC. I just hate the look of this given his past. But I guess if any coach knows the importance of giving people a second chance, it would be freeze. 

• Facepalm 1