DJ Durkin to be named DC

18 minutes ago, Chaotic_zx said:

I may turn against Freeze and company as I reserve that right. I am going to give them a chance however. The same one I gave Malzahn, Chizik, Harsin, and Tub. The arrogance is what gets me with some Auburn fans. There is not a single fan base that hates Auburn as much as Auburn fans. Bama and UGA included. Sure they will claim that they love Auburn and want better for Auburn but spew nothing other than hate. 

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7vaebm14v493uc3v57p

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I'll add... most the people (especially in Twitter and Social media spaces) griping about his background have no clue what actually happened. 

Like everything else in today's 'please like me' society, it's about what the 'likable' take is...

• Like 1

Durkin had been given a second chance by Kiffen.  He took advantage of that.  Hugh is just hiring a qualified guy to run his defense.

Liberty University gave Hugh a second chance . He took advantage of that. Auburn hired a qualified candidate who had success in the SEC.  

neither HuGh or Auburn are doing some mythical redemption, second chance schtick as much as some of you wanna make it about your faith.   

it is simply about winning football games any way possible.

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

it is simply about winning football games any way possible.

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7hracfur2hw31y6ev6u

7 hours ago, RunInRed said:

This staff … looks pretty solid to me 

IMG_2192.jpeg

That defensive staff especially looks very strong across the board. Recruiting AND coaching.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

9 hours ago, Mims44 said:

Withholding my thoughts until the mods post their thoughts.

Then I'll post mine which will conveniently coincide. 

🤷‍♂️

As long as he knows to rush more than two I'm good

• Like 3

8 hours ago, RunInRed said:

This staff … looks pretty solid to me 

IMG_2192.jpeg

I’m pumped that we have an on field QB coach!

9 hours ago, cbo said:

I assume you mean Kiffin and not Kelly?

Freeze wanted to hire Kiffin last year. He waited until Kiffin was bounced from the playoffs to make a DC hire. Durkin has been sitting there the entire time.

Kiffin and Durkin were his two choices. I meant we didn't have to settle for Kiffin. 

Edited by Auburn93

1 hour ago, Chaotic_zx said:

I'm not sure three weeks is enough time. Last season, Auburn had people missing assignments up to and including the Alabama game. I personally think they need as much time as possible. A spring game would be a great opportunity to practice it.  

Are you saying missing assignments after 11 games and 15+ weeks of practice is on coaching?

• Haha 1

Kiffin must have decided to stay in the nfl.  

Durkin isn’t a bad hire.  

10 hours ago, DAG said:

A lot of wasted time but glad it is over.

May have taken the folks doing the background check to get everyone comfortable.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Logic dictates that Chf wanted to interview him for sure. There is no evidence to say we got turned down or anything like that. from the jump people in the know have said kiffin and Durkin were the two leading candidates... why not do due diligence and wait to make sure your future DCs vision matches what you want. 

Timeline may indicate we were waiting for Kiffin. Is there ever evidence that someone got turned down for a coordinator role?

2 hours ago, GreenTiger said:

Wait and see. Seems like a Derrick Mason kind of hire… another SEC retred who has some good numbers in the past. 

DC Retreads at AU > Muschamp, Oliver, Steele.  Defense lasts in the SEC.  Ellis Johnson is the only previous DC I can remember not working.

OC retreads are an entirely different situation.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, DAG said:

People going to believe what they want. At the end of the day, let's hope he is the right choice. Of course his past will follow him and best be sure if Saban had hired those same people would be spreading that same past. He has a football acumen that is respected at the very least.

There was not much pushback when he was hired by aTm, probably would still be there if HC had not gotten fired.

6 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

May have taken the folks doing the background check to get everyone comfortable.

Yep I will say Auburns staff does a deep dive in backgrounds it seems. Rivals the freaking VA! Took me almost 9 months to start there /

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chaotic_zx said:

I'm not sure three weeks is enough time. Last season, Auburn had people missing assignments up to and including the Alabama game. I personally think they need as much time as possible. A spring game would be a great opportunity to practice it.  

3 weeks is plenty of time to put a system in place. Remember the players can't practice a system til Spring ball starts. Right now they are mainly just lifting weights.

1 hour ago, CR said:

That defensive staff especially looks very strong across the board. Recruiting AND coaching.

Wonder if he will coach a position also?

Hey we weren't trilled with Steele when he was first hired and he turned out to be my most favorite DC we have ever had.  Let's give Durkin a chance here too.

If he can draw up a defense to stop 4th & 31 then I am all for him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Mims44 said:

Withholding my thoughts until the mods post their thoughts.

Then I'll post mine which will conveniently coincide. 

🤷‍♂️

tell us what you really think. i will visit you in jail. and i could never include mr golf in that mr mims.

19 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I really hope you guys don't try to make this cool....

you think we settled? i hope he does well but i will have to see how he treats the players. i love auburn so i will support him until i can't. the only jerk i love is me................