Aden

LPTiger

What does his future look like?   He is so small...  I think it was his first time in, their guard backed him down into the paint.   Aden was doing his best, but he simply couldn't slow him.   On offense, he has stopped trying to drive the ball because of the blocks....  Maybe more Denver at point and Aden at 2?

7 hours ago, LPTiger said:

What does his future look like?   He is so small...  I think it was his first time in, their guard backed him down into the paint.   Aden was doing his best, but he simply couldn't slow him.   On offense, he has stopped trying to drive the ball because of the blocks....  Maybe more Denver at point and Aden at 2?

Moving Aden to the 2, as many think would happen next season, doesn’t fix the defensive liabilities. Ultimately his future as a CBB player remains at the 1. He has serious talent that you can’t teach, but in addition to being small right now he’s seemingly in a bad place mentally.

With Tre’s emergence and Tahaad coming in, my money is on a transfer. It would be really incredible to see him stick around and get some time in the weight room, but that’s not usually how this plays out now.

• Like 4

I sure would love it if he got going. Body and game are a lot like Trae Young. I fear that if he is one we let get away, we will be kicking ourselves when he is lighting it up at another school in a couple of years. You don't make McDonalds All American and the Nike Hoop Summit without a ton of talent.

• Like 2

Gets stronger, adjusts to how he’s being defended, gets more aggressive when it comes to his hands and not getting switched onto much bigger players, it’s a pretty time tested set of things a small guards looks to adjust to when he first gets in the league. He’s not the first undersized PG to be unable to matchup physically his freshman year 

• Like 5

Denver getting 2 rotations at PG last night shows (I feel) that BP thinks like he needs to get someone else ready there for the March tournament.   Auburn switches a lot on defense, so it's unavoidable that Aden will get matched up (even by design of the other team) against stronger players, as was on display in that one play last night.   A problem for all undersized guards.   But, you trade that off when your 5* undersized guard makes up for it in other areas.   This is the current problem though, as Aden is also getting bullied on offense.  (1)  He is getting ball pressure and not getting the team into the offense early enough,  running too late into the shot clock.  (2) He's not shooting well in SEC play.  (3) He has not been effective attacking, driving with the ball.     However, he was not a 5* rated player for no reason.  The kid has the skillz.  He's quick, with great handle, and CAN shoot.   Up to last night, I felt that BP was sticking with him and willing to let him try to work through it and shoot his way out of a slump.  Now, I'm not so sure with Denver getting trial minutes at PG.     I'm afraid the toughness of SEC conference basketball is proving too much for him at this stage (as a freshman).   Or it could be a confidence issue and that he just needs his mojo back, Austin Powers style.     But, I'm thinking he will not be a major contributor this year moving forward.   

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Gets stronger, adjusts to how he’s being defended, gets more aggressive when it comes to his hands and not getting switched onto much bigger players, it’s a pretty time tested set of things a small guards looks to adjust to when he first gets in the league. He’s not the first undersized PG to be unable to matchup physically his freshman year 

I just hope he sticks it out at Auburn and doesn't look for greener pastures elsewhere.

• Like 1

When the lightbulb turns on he will be elite. I just hope it’s at AU. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

He’s not the first undersized PG to be unable to matchup physically his freshman year 

curry-dunk.gif

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

i think bruce and company can coach him up if he stays. he was used to being the big dawg in high school so i am sure he is kinda shocked maybe? i think he stay. and if we have a great run this year i imagine it would motivate him to stay.

• Like 1

Aden is a super talent. Right now, he's getting introduced to big boy ball. He is slight and in the past has been able to outquick most defenders. HE needs to be a bit patient(not much of that these days), hit weight room and continue to practice against our own smothering defenders. Its obvious BP sees something every day in practice that makes him believe. But games are not playing out the way he envisioned. I am not a big fan of Denver at point. But truthfully, what we give up in ball handling and errant passes, we make up in drives to the goal and defense. So its a wash at this point. 

I think if Aden stays and puts in the work, we'll see a much improved player next season. Just look at the way Tre has developed. If we see that kind of improvement in Aden, he'll be fine...IF he's patient.  

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

Y'all, he's barely 18 years old.  He's going to improve in a lot of ways like so many other AU players vs. last year.  Coaches will get him the weight room to gain strength, he'll probably grow another 2" taller, get quicker, the mental game will slow down for him the more he plays, etc.  Consider how much better Tre, Jay-Will, KD and Broome improved from just last year both physically and mentally.  Aden Holloway is far from his peak.  The only thing that can stop him from being great is if he quits.  Just the fact that he committed zero turnovers last night and made better decisions is improvement. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tiger Time Burrito said:

Denver getting 2 rotations at PG last night shows (I feel) that BP thinks like he needs to get someone else ready there for the March tournament.   Auburn switches a lot on defense, so it's unavoidable that Aden will get matched up (even by design of the other team) against stronger players, as was on display in that one play last night.   A problem for all undersized guards.   But, you trade that off when your 5* undersized guard makes up for it in other areas.   This is the current problem though, as Aden is also getting bullied on offense.  (1)  He is getting ball pressure and not getting the team into the offense early enough,  running too late into the shot clock.  (2) He's not shooting well in SEC play.  (3) He has not been effective attacking, driving with the ball.     However, he was not a 5* rated player for no reason.  The kid has the skillz.  He's quick, with great handle, and CAN shoot.   Up to last night, I felt that BP was sticking with him and willing to let him try to work through it and shoot his way out of a slump.  Now, I'm not so sure with Denver getting trial minutes at PG.     I'm afraid the toughness of SEC conference basketball is proving too much for him at this stage (as a freshman).   Or it could be a confidence issue and that he just needs his mojo back, Austin Powers style.     But, I'm thinking he will not be a major contributor this year moving forward.   

Spot on.    Bruce has done all he can do to get AH minutes and opportunities but in the best interest of THIS year's team, you gotta get more size in the PG rotation.

The other point about Denver is that he's a 90%+ free throw shooter.  Opponents know that and have to be careful about defending him.  If you foul him, points are automatic.  The more he's on the floor, the more his defending skills and scoring impact he contributes.   Aden's impact will be in future years.

• Like 1

I’m not sure I remember another basketball player getting the yips like this and going from being an elite shooter/scorer to a complete liability without getting injured or something. It seems like it’s all mental. 

42 minutes ago, BustemBigBlue said:

I’m not sure I remember another basketball player getting the yips like this and going from being an elite shooter/scorer to a complete liability without getting injured or something. It seems like it’s all mental. 

Pre SEC season schedules can make players look much better than they are when the competition steps up.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dunndone414 said:

Moving Aden to the 2, as many think would happen next season, doesn’t fix the defensive liabilities. Ultimately his future as a CBB player remains at the 1. He has serious talent that you can’t teach, but in addition to being small right now he’s seemingly in a bad place mentally.

With Tre’s emergence and Tahaad coming in, my money is on a transfer. It would be really incredible to see him stick around and get some time in the weight room, but that’s not usually how this plays out now.

With Tre, Denver and KD coming back next season along with Tahaad coming in, he may be two years away from real playing time again.  If he works hard, puts on some weight and strength (which he will if healthy), he could be a big time contributor his junior season.  Will it be at Auburn or somewhere else?  Nothing in his HS or AAU ball film led me to believe he could finish at the rim in the SEC. 

Tahaad is a different story.  He has hops and uses the length of his arms.  He will be able to finish at the rim in this league unlike Cooper, Green and Aden. 

Perhaps seeing UT's Ziegler will help him see himself in the future.

Fingers crossed for him in his future on this team.

4 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Edited by 81spacetiger
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, KillenTime said:

Pre SEC season schedules can make players look much better than they are when the competition steps up.

Agreed but he did have 19 pts against Baylor and made 4-8 three’s. Even when he gets open looks now he rarely makes them. 

• Like 1

If I recall, Chris Jackson (Mamoud Abdul-Rauf) had a pretty slight build too. But he was a more dynamic finisher than Aden. I still think he is the best guard I have ever seen in the SEC.

42 minutes ago, BustemBigBlue said:

Agreed but he did have 19 pts against Baylor and made 4-8 three’s. Even when he gets open looks now he rarely makes them. 

It looks like his shooting form is a bit slow and he lets the ball go in front of his body instead of over his head.  There is no snap on his release.  He needs more space to execute his shots.  Going to need some reps to improve that.  Needs to model, the way Bryce Brown did it.

8 hours ago, Dunndone414 said:

Sad but true.

I just have a funny feeling that Aden figures it out by the end of the year in time for the tournament. If he starts making 3’s (along w/ Denver Jones) then that it is our ceiling. That could literally take this offense to another level if those 2 start hitting 3’s

• Like 2

9 hours ago, 81spacetiger said:

Perhaps seeing UT's Ziegler will help him see himself in the future.

Fingers crossed for him in his future on this team.

If he could just be Jvon or Harper-esque on defense, it’d be good enough. They were both pretty good at accruing steals, although Harper had like a 6’6 wingspan or something going for him, which is hard to emulate. But they were mentally solid defenders and figured out how to adjust past their weaknesses 

8 hours ago, BizEagle said:

It looks like his shooting form is a bit slow and he lets the ball go in front of his body instead of over his head.  There is no snap on his release.  He needs more space to execute his shots.  Going to need some reps to improve that.  Needs to model, the way Bryce Brown did it.

Yeah once dudes started playing high on those screens, meeting him at half court, and just constantly putting a body on him, it accelerated the hell out of his mental clock and rhythm. He’s still largely hitting rim, so it’s not like he’s a terrible shooter form wise or anything. 

I also remember offseason film displaying that he spends a ton of time practicing 3s without his feet set, which could help in the future, but it gave him a REALLY high level of confidence in those moving 3s that just did not go in during December and especially January. I’d say his shot selection has gotten a good better during this abysmal run, but it hasn’t significantly helped

On 2/15/2024 at 12:11 PM, BustemBigBlue said:

You are right.