War Eagle Supper Club’s legendary ‘shot bus’ going up for auction

aubiefifty

al.com

War Eagle Supper Club’s legendary ‘shot bus’ going up for auction in Mobile

Updated: Feb. 23, 2024, 3:55 p.m.|Published: Feb. 23, 2024, 3:30 p.m.
~3 minutes

War Eagle Supper Club shot bus

The now-defunct War Eagle Supper Club's iconic "shot bus" is going up for auction in Mobile.(Facebook image)

For decades, it was a symbol of one of the most iconic locations for Auburn University students.

It was the mid-1980s when the owners of the War Eagle Supper Club -- a popular hangout for Auburn students -- realized that with no taxi service in the area, students needed another option for getting home other than a ride in the back of a patrol car.

So they got creative and purchased a 1977 school bus, gave it an Auburn-themed paint job with “War Eagle Supper Club” over where the name of the school district had once been, and thus the now-legendary “shot bus” was born, although it was initially known as the “slush bus.”

After some time, the owners realized using the full-size school bus was impractical for navigating apartment complexes and trailer parks, so a smaller bus was purchased and the original bus parked, remaining unused until 2007, when it was moved to a spot at the rear of the building and converted into a shot bar (and thus taking on the name “shot bus”).

The interior of the "shot bus" is still adorned with signatures from generations of Auburn University students.(Facebook image)

It remained there until 2015, when the War Eagle Supper Club closed after owners could not reach an agreement with the landlord on a new lease.

In January 2016, the OK Bicycle Shop in Mobile purchased the iconic bus and moved it near his businesses on Dauphin Street in downtown Mobile.

But the bicycle shop has closed and the bus, left parked on the street, was impounded by the City of Mobile, which will auction off the iconic bus next month.

Although it's seen better days, the shot bus still has much of the original signage throughout.(Facebook image)

The bus, not unexpectedly, has seen better days. There’s rust throughout the inside and it doesn’t run. But for many, the memories it holds are priceless. The interior of the bus is covered in signatures from Auburn students dating back more than 40 years and the actual shot bar is still largely intact.

According to Chad Masters with the city impound yard, the bus will go up for auction March 12 at 9 a.m. Those interested in purchasing the bus must register online.

If you purchase a product or register for an account through a link on our site, we may receive compensation. By using this site, you consent to our User Agreement and agree that your clicks, interactions, and personal information may be collected, recorded, and/or stored by us and social media and other third-party partners in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

• Like 1

i wish auburn would buy it. it is part of the folklore and history for so many fans.............

2 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i wish auburn would buy it. it is part of the folklore and history for so many fans.............

That was a different Auburn. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, aucom96 said:

That was a different Auburn. 

i bet no one remembers Archies. he was a huge man and a huge auburn fan. his bbq was great and he actually had a dirt floor or so i was told. my mothers best friend worked there.

The sign that was outside the WESC is at the Standard Deluxe in Waverly. They can park the bus beside it. 

Edited by creed
  • Like 1

I got hammered in the back of that bus after the “See You Later, Alligator” in 2007. Felt that victory for a couple days. 

I tried to find a picture of this for my avatar.  I could only find the shuttle.

Yes, I spent some time on that bus, too.