Men vs Tennessee Game Thread

40 minutes ago, e808 said:

Surprised didn’t see the big lineup at all tonight. Aidoo was eating the first half. Guess  it was really needed in the second half. It was all Knecht 

Just not something you can really employ when playing a one big team, plus it’s not like they’d have multiple guys killing us in the paint. Adoo was just beating Broome one on one. If that’s happening, you just gotta live with it. It’s much more preferable than what ended up having where they start stroking it from the perimeter, and you now have your center not even near Adoo bc he has to help double on Knecht 25 feet from the rim. 

But yeah, having an extra plodding center on the floor would’ve lit Knecht’s eyes up

• Thanks 1

The frustrating thing about tonight and this team is we haven’t had that “statement” victory. We also haven't won a “close” game either. All of our wins are by double digits. Yes, we’ve won some big games at home, but we couldn’t beat Baylor on a neutral site, we couldn’t beat Alabama, Florida, or Tennessee on the road, and we lost at home to Kentucky. 

We need to that “signature” victory to take this team to the next level. Hopefully we’re saving it for the tournament. 

• Like 1

We has 16 Turnovers they had 14 about equal. We shot 45.8% from the floor they shot 50.9% mostly because of Knecht. We were 76% at Free Thow and they were 77.1%. We both made 9 3's but it took us 22 shots and they did it with 17 That is still just under 41% on 3's which is solid. They beat us on the boards 37 to 30. They made 6 more FT's then us and one more basket then us.

Basically we played well enough to win except Knecht was unstoppable when it counted. Yes I thought we had some weak fouls called on us and the Ref's overlooked a few obvious fouls by Tenn., but the reality is because of how hot Knecht was tonight they were the slightly better team.

I am proud of this team.  As well as we played tonight against most teams even with our poor PG play we would have won tonight. You have to give Tenn credit they are very good.

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Like 6

6 minutes ago, Auburn93 said:

We need a player like Zeigler on our team. 

One thing that keeps Tenn as the most steadfast program over this recent stretch of multiple SEC teams going up, then down, then up, is bc they always find guys who fits Barnes’s philosophy. Outside of just Auburn, Kentucky was so disappointing recently bc they didn’t have any system, it was just plug dudes in. Arkansas star chases. 

They had a continuous glass ceiling on how good they could be because it’d continue to be these boring very steady players before Knecht came around, but it’s way easier to just add one star onto a foundation than what some of these programs do 

26 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

The frustrating thing about tonight and this team is we haven’t had that “statement” victory. We also haven't won a “close” game either. All of our wins are by double digits. Yes, we’ve won some big games at home, but we couldn’t beat Baylor on a neutral site, we couldn’t beat Alabama, Florida, or Tennessee on the road, and we lost at home to Kentucky. 

We need to that “signature” victory to take this team to the next level. Hopefully we’re saving it for the tournament. 

Beating a top 20 team by 40 isn’t a statement victory!? 😂😂

IMG_6718.gif

In the 4 what I like to call cease the moment games Auburn has turned the ball over in critical points. Just get head scratching plays at times. For example KD on a break challenges Aidoo and doesn’t a circus shot. Then later in the game against a smaller defender decides to pass the ball to Tre with terrible spacing. 

1 hour ago, arktiger1975 said:

Chances of winning the regular season title are gone. It will be either the huckleberries or the gumps. It sucks, I'm not into participation trophies. 

You can still have a good season and not win the regular season title. So far This has been a good season imo.

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 3

Maybe I was to hopeful of how Aden finished the last game but the foul trouble took him completely out of the game

8 minutes ago, e808 said:

In the 4 what I like to call cease the moment games Auburn has turned the ball over in critical points. Just get head scratching plays at times. For example KD on a break challenges Aidoo and doesn’t a circus shot. Then later in the game against a smaller defender decides to pass the ball to Tre with terrible spacing. 

We had 16 turnovers to their 14. We also had 20 assists to their 13 which tells the story that we got beat by a singular great player which I agree. 

We only had 11 turnovers vs Kentucky. We just didn’t make open shots that game. Giving up only 70 to arguably the most explosive offense in the country would of resulted in a victory 97 times out of 100.

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

You can still have a good season and not win the regular season title. So far This has been a good season so far. 

For me, it's just the fact of bama having a real chance to win their 3rd title in 4 years that really burns me up.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Just now, arktiger1975 said:

For me, it's just the fact of bama having a real chance to win their 3rd title in 4 years that really burns me up.

They have had the easiest road schedule of all the top teams. It’s the single biggest reason why they have the sec record they do. Almost all their tough games were at home. Florida choking a 9 point lead with 5 minutes could end up being the difference. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, arktiger1975 said:

I hate to say but I think gonna pay Tennessee back at home. Sears wont have a game at home like he did at Tennessee. He will have his way and won’t get called for much

Edited by e808

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

They have had the easiest road schedule of all the top teams. It’s the single biggest reason why they have the sec record they do. Almost all their tough games were at home. Florida choking a 9 point lead with 5 minutes could end up being the difference. 

I agree. I think they will get bounced early in the NCAA tournament. I wouldn't call them an outright fraud, but they have definitely gotten all the breaks this year. The style they play gives them a chance in any given game, but also makes them vulnerable.

• Like 1

Just now, e808 said:

I hate to say but I think gonna pay Tennessee back at home. Sears want have a game at home like he did at Tennessee. He will have his way and won’t get called for much

I agree, even though I think UT is clearly the better team.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, arktiger1975 said:

I agree, even though I think UT is clearly the better team.

The thing I am upset about and some might disagree is the loss to Moo State. That’s pretty much the difference between Auburn and Alabama 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, e808 said:

The thing I am upset about and some might disagree is the loss to Moo State. That’s pretty much the difference between Auburn and Alabama 

And the home loss to Kentucky. Hope we can pay Moo State back Saturday.

Edited by arktiger1975

Just now, arktiger1975 said:

And the home loss to Kentucky. 

True but we a wash in that area as Bama got blown out by them as well but yea that would have covered the Moo State loss

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, e808 said:

True but we a wash in that area as Bama got blown out by them as well but yea that would have covered the Moo State loss

I hope we can shut Moo State up Saturday like we did Ole Miss.They are talking big.

Edited by arktiger1975

11 minutes ago, e808 said:

I hate to say but I think gonna pay Tennessee back at home. Sears wont have a game at home like he did at Tennessee. He will have his way and won’t get called for much

Expect Tennessee to play their worst game of the season 

25 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Beating a top 20 team by 40 isn’t a statement victory!? 😂😂

IMG_6718.gif

South Carolina is highly overrated team, IMO. On paper it was an impressive victory, but truthfully they aren’t one of the top 5 teams in our league. 

• Like 1

Just now, CameronCrazy said:

South Carolina is highly overrated team, IMO. On paper it was an impressive victory, but truthfully they aren’t one of the top 5 teams in our league. 

I think the same thing about South Carolina. I put them at around 7th in the SEC. UT, UK, Auburn, bama, UF, and MSU are all better than them. They are another team that has been incredibly lucky in winning some close games. Got obliterated by us and bama. Did beat UT on the road when the Vols weren't playing well. Other tough games have been at home for the most part.

9 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

I mean they were the only team to win at Tennessee all year and blew out Kentucky at home. They def don’t have great talent and have played way above their talent level but it’s still an impressive W for us. 

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 2

Went to the game. Officiating was grossly inconsistent. UT fans in our section were trash. Rude and crass. It was also 80 degrees in there. Not terribly eager to go back.

• Like 1