Men vs Tennessee Game Thread

4 minutes ago, madkat7 said:

Went to the game. Officiating was grossly inconsistent. UT fans in our section were trash. Rude and crass. It was also 80 degrees in there. Not terribly eager to go back.

I hope Auburn does well in the NCAA tournament. The rest of the SEC, UT included, I hope crashes and burns.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

One thing that keeps Tenn as the most steadfast program over this recent stretch of multiple SEC teams going up, then down, then up, is bc they always find guys who fits Barnes’s philosophy. Outside of just Auburn, Kentucky was so disappointing recently bc they didn’t have any system, it was just plug dudes in. Arkansas star chases. 

They had a continuous glass ceiling on how good they could be because it’d continue to be these boring very steady players before Knecht came around, but it’s way easier to just add one star onto a foundation than what some of these programs do 

The point guards have their moments, Aden seems to be getting his mojo back, but sometimes they seem to stand out by the half court line, dribbling in and out of traps and waste half the shot clock, forcing bad shots. K.D. is a bundle of energy but sometimes he takes puzzling shots.

7 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

You can still have a good season and not win the regular season title. So far This has been a good season imo.

This team with everybody healthy can make a serious post season run.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, arktiger1975 said:

I agree, even though I think UT is clearly the better team.

That kid Knecht played like the number one pick in the draft. Chad played decent defense on him too. He was literally unguardable at times.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, naildawg said:

That kid Knecht played like the number one pick in the draft. Chad played decent defense on him too. He was literally unguardable at times.

When do we get a unguardable big guard that can shoot?

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, NES said:

Every team wants one of those.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, NES said:

Shouldn't be hard. After all, there's hundreds of number one NBA draft picks every year.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Take away the turnovers we win. IMO, that was the deciding factor. Even with Knecht going off, take away half turnovers & we win. 

9 hours ago, arktiger1975 said:

As expected, Ole Miss gets up big, then s---ts the bed.

Mark Sears played 40 minutes 26 points 5 boards and 4 assists. Cole how I wish we had him. Add Sears to this current team and we might be best team in the country. 

On our team he wouldn't have to play 40 minutes and with Broome, Jaylin, and lately Chaney his assists would sky rocket.

We had a chance to get him coming out of HS Cole told us how good he was, but to be honest he had the numbers but didn't look like he would become this good. He got stronger physically and as we have seen he is fearless.

He is a complete PG great handle, great vision, can score inside or out, and is in control of the offensive flow.

20 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Mark Sears played 40 minutes 26 points 5 boards and 4 assists. Cole how I wish we had him. Add Sears to this current team and we might be best team in the country. 

On our team he wouldn't have to play 40 minutes and with Broome, Jaylin, and lately Chaney his assists would sky rocket.

We had a chance to get him coming out of HS Cole told us how good he was, but to be honest he had the numbers but didn't look like he would become this good. He got stronger physically and as we have seen he is fearless.

He is a complete PG great handle, great vision, can score inside or out, and is in control of the offensive flow.

Good grief already!  Enough with the Sears crap.   The guy is not on Auburn’s team.   Hasn’t been for his entire career and probably wasn’t even recruited by Auburn.    Hell, why don’t you say, man I wish we had that Knecht guy on our team!  
I don’t get this line of thinking, when it’s been said that he wasn’t recruited by auburn.    Or if he was, he chose Alabama.    

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, naildawg said:

The point guards have their moments, Aden seems to be getting his mojo back, but sometimes they seem to stand out by the half court line, dribbling in and out of traps and waste half the shot clock, forcing bad shots. K.D. is a bundle of energy but sometimes he takes puzzling shots.

They don't have ability to drive and force the D to make decisions. 

Hard to watch when the rest of the team is pretty dynamic.

11 hours ago, arktiger1975 said:

For me, it's just the fact of bama having a real chance to win their 3rd title in 4 years that really burns me up.

Better get used to it.  The way Oats is recruiting they're going to be good year end and year out.  It's a fun offense to play in and he is attracting elite shooters.  He is running his team like the NBA does...a lot of offense and very little defense.  Most kids like it.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, e808 said:

In the 4 what I like to call cease the moment games Auburn has turned the ball over in critical points. Just get head scratching plays at times. For example KD on a break challenges Aidoo and doesn’t a circus shot. Then later in the game against a smaller defender decides to pass the ball to Tre with terrible spacing. 

Yeah, I was surprised KD passed instead of going to the hoop and trying to draw another foul.  That was the wrong decision.  Did you notice that Tre looked a little pedestrian vs UT.  I wonder if he has been sick.

Also, the players were sweating a lot, especially J-Will.  I have seen several comments that UT had the temp turned up and it was very hot in there

10 minutes ago, tinman1 said:

Better get used to it.  The way Oats is recruiting they're going to be good year end and year out.  It's a fun offense to play in and he is attracting elite shooters.  He is running his team like the NBA does...a lot of offense and very little defense.  Most kids like it.

I think he will leave there soon. His style does attract players. Being able to jack threes at will and not play defense appeals to a lot of kids. Now as far as having a chance to win it all, that's a different story 

5 minutes ago, BizEagle said:

Yeah, I was surprised KD passed instead of going to the hoop and trying to draw another foul.  That was the wrong decision.  Did you notice that Tre looked a little pedestrian vs UT.  I wonder if he has been sick.

Also, the players were sweating a lot, especially J-Will.  I have seen several comments that UT had the temp turned up and it was very hot in there

Seems like with our depth, if anything, a hot gym would work to our advantage.

3 hours ago, naildawg said:

This team with everybody healthy can make a serious post season run.

Both commentators calling the game last night agreed that UT and AU are tournament teams that can go deep into the NCAA tournament.  In the 2nd half with about 6-7 minutes left, their comment was something like, "we are watching 2 outstanding teams that will go deep in the tournament."  I don't think they were just being nice, they were genuinely impressed.

• Like 1

A neutral observer would have to have come away from last nights game impressed.  A fun watch for a basketball fan. Only real negative by both teams was some of the silly turnovers.  And maybe the refs inconsistency at points in the second half.  I thought they called it reasonably in the 1st.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, arktiger1975 said:

I think he will leave there soon. His style does attract players. Being able to jack threes at will and not play defense appeals to a lot of kids. Now as far as having a chance to win it all, that's a different story 

Why would he leave?  As noted, Bama could win its 3rd SEC title in 4 years.  He just signed TWO 5-star McDonald's All Americans for next year's team and he has plenty of talent returning.  I don't get the dismissive attitude about Oats/Bama...I am NOT a fan (understatement), but by any objective measure they are a talented, successful team.

35 minutes ago, Golden Eagle said:

Why would he leave?  As noted, Bama could win its 3rd SEC title in 4 years.  He just signed TWO 5-star McDonald's All Americans for next year's team and he has plenty of talent returning.  I don't get the dismissive attitude about Oats/Bama...I am NOT a fan (understatement), but by any objective measure they are a talented, successful team.

The same reason someone would leave Texas Tech and go to TX, or leave Missouri and go to Duke. If one of the big schools calls he will go.

1 hour ago, Golden Eagle said:

One thing for sure, if you are at bama, you will always be football's little brother. You could say that about a lot of schools, but it is to the extreme there. Plus, he is from Michigan, and both UM and MSU will be looking for coaches soon. Both are better basketball jobs than bama. I know a guy who is a big bama fan, and he didn't even know who the basketball coach is at Texas A & M. Their fan base just isn't into basketball or as knowledgeable as a lot of other places. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, naildawg said:

I still don’t think we have anything close to deep NCAA run guard play, but Aden is getting better, so that’s nice. 

Im hoping virtually everyone from the 1-3 positions return, so all progression is good progression to me, in a long term sense. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Golden Eagle said:

They’ve also had multiple SEC title winning runs where they’ve been amongst the absolute best defenses in CBB and have produced stellar defenders (Herb Jones, Rylan Griffen, Charles Bediako). There’s not alot of objectivity about Alabama on this board tbh lol 

• Thanks 1

Few thoughts from last night.

knecht was impressive , out of his mind good! 
Between him, the inconsistent refs, frustration on AU part, and silly turn overs that game slipped away.

Guard play makes me 😭.  Over and over we are getting stuffed out on the top , wasted possessions. No ability to drive, finish or dish off, and no confidence to be a KNECHT and hit the 3 anymore. A certain guard can’t even pass the ball now because ( he is a head case) Trey!! 

It was a very winnable game. I felt it was the best chance to get over the hump, to win that big game on the road, wipe all doubts away in your mind YOU CAN!   But still they have yet to win a quad 1 big game.

Makes you wander how deeo they can go in the tournament