NCAA Round 1 - AU vs Yale

Yes, I agree with an earlier post. The refs took Auburn out of the game very early. Not only should CBM not have been ejected, but the refs set the tone against us. That on top of JW hurting his ankle was just a recipe for disaster. I get we prob should have regrouped and taken the game over (which I personally thought we were gonna do coming out of halftime), but I guess it was too much. The refs did the same at the beginning of the second half with the fouls too. 

I am just frustrated as can be because I’m so tired of seeing so many games being determined by the refs. I think back to the Samford game last night. These guys just get worse and no consequences. They can just do as they please. Ugh just a frustrating game. Even free all that we still had our chances and couldn’t do it. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Very frustrating. Solid year ending with an embarrassing loss. Congrats to Yale. They were scrappy, more poised and out hustled us. We had many chances to win and could not deliver. Yale made the plays and good luck to them in the next round. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, arktiger1975 said:

I just unfriended some rival SEC fans on Facebook who were gloating about our loss. F the rest of the SEC, every last one of the teams.

You’re late to that party 

1 minute ago, GTNupe11 said:

I'd say no, but, one is way more realistic than the other... That's just the truth. I don't think this takes away from the season we had but we really had no business losing to Yale, no matter how you slice it. They looked like they how did against Moo State when we played them away. Just seemed to have a lack of "want to" besides Broome. I hope that kid gets everything he deserves, which is hopefully an opportunity to make a ton of money. 

That’s fine but there is no logical way to explain the idea that a conference championship > national championship. Hypothetically, If Bama wins it all, nobody is going to care about Auburn winning the conference tourney . 

• Like 3

Just now, ScotsAU said:

I think we win. But I don’t think we blow them out. We still played awful from the start today. Pretty clear that the players were feeling too good about the SEC championship and came in expecting Yale to roll over. 

Then this goes against your own logic. They didn't play like they didn't care, they lost their toughest guy and they couldn't hit any perimeter shots, meanwhile Yale guy was on fire. Which if we had our best perimeter defender and he forces 3 missed shots which he probably force more we win. 

It sounds good to paint the story like we didn't respect them but that's not even realistic to be honest. That's something fans will make up and run with

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, arktiger1975 said:

Lost to a church league team. Piss poor coaching.

More like a super-intramural team, but I get it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Being an Auburn fan is incredibly difficult. It's always some tomfoolery afoot that usually results in a loss🤣

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Just now, DAG said:

That’s fine but there is no logical way to explain the idea that a conference championship > national championship. Hypothetically, If Bama wins it all, nobody is going to care about Auburn winning the conference tourney . 

Nope, and Auburn probably emphasized it too much. If you win the sec you don’t go and lose first round if prepared correctly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, arktiger1975 said:

Lost to a church league team. Piss poor coaching.

😭

5 minutes ago, AUfan3333 said:

Yes, I agree with an earlier post. The refs took Auburn out of the game very early. Not only should CBM not have been ejected, but the refs set the tone against us. That on top of JW hurting his ankle was just a recipe for disaster. I get we prob should have regrouped and taken the game over (which I personally thought we were gonna do coming out of halftime), but I guess it was too much. The refs did the same at the beginning of the second half with the fouls too. 

I am just frustrated as can be because I’m so tired of seeing so many games being determined by the refs. I think back to the Samford game last night. These guys just get worse and no consequences. They can just do as they please. Ugh just a frustrating game. Even free all that we still had our chances and couldn’t do it. 

There is way too much money in college athletics. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

Winning a conference tournament is better than win a national championship? Really?

That’s not what the poster said. And you’ve taken my comment out of context. 
The poster said would you rather have a deep run into the tourney or win the conference. I’d rather win the conference. You get a trophy for that. You don’t get a trophy for coming in 4th. 
But my bigger point was about evaluating the team. It says more to win the conference champ than it does to win an NCAA champ. The NCAA tourney is probabilistically a crapshoot. The favorite at the start has hardly ever won it. The better team gets knocked out a surprisingly high amount of the time. 
Don’t get me wrong. I’d be thrilled with a final four appearance or a national championship. But, statistically it means less than winning your conference as far as judging how good a team is.

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

It's incredible what some people will come up with.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Then this goes against your own logic. They didn't play like they didn't care, they lost their toughest guy and they couldn't hit any perimeter shots, meanwhile Yale guy was on fire. Which if we had our best perimeter defender and he forces 3 missed shots which he probably force more we win. 

It sounds good to paint the story like we didn't respect them but that's not even realistic to be honest. That's something fans will make up and run with

Yes. Yale was the better team with all of their 2 star athletes. 🙄

Seriously dude? 9 games out of ten we beat them by double digits. We had an off day. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Every thing was s perfect storm for Yale to win

1)The horrible flagrant/with ejection 

2)The ankle roll

3)The Yale guy looking like Curry and playing the game of his life

4)Refs taking us out of our game

5)Missing clutch time free throws 

It is what it is

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, cole256 said:

That's how basketball is played. Whoever wins the entire thing will win with guys doing that

Perhaps it is.  haven’t played since intramurals at Auburn, but today it cost Auburn dearly.

26 minutes ago, e808 said:

I believe it was @Dual-Threat Rigbywho made a reference about CBM and the tournament. We have our answer and it cost the team 

And to be fair, no one ever pushed back on that point, and I wasn’t the first to critique his nature on here I’m sure. I just knew after the Kentucky and Tenn games where he had those asinine back to back passes late, the guy’s mind wasn’t coded with an “off” switch 

I think KD at least knows how to turn off the antics. He clearly didn’t know how to slow his game down and just be composed, but he can control his behavior 

Just now, tigerrules said:

War Eagle folks.  Let’s recruit and get ready for another run.  Later. 

Yep, gonna be a long off-season. Our other major sports ain't much.

• Like 1

Just now, Bro Johnny Mac said:

Every thing was s perfect storm for Yale to win

1)The horrible flagrant/with ejection 

2)The ankle roll

3)The Yale guy looking like Curry and playing the game of his life

4)Refs taking us out of our game

5)Missing clutch time free throws 

It is what it is

This sums up what I haven’t been able to get across apparently. They had their best game. We had one of our worst. That’s why the favorite to win the championship rarely does. Somewhere in the tourney, the best team has an off game at the wrong time and gets eliminated. And 

Nobody would think their leading scorer would shoot that will from the field. But you still prep for him but you don't plan your best defender not being in the game. That's a very big deal. Changed the entire rotation and now we have to use small guards to guard a 6'6" shooter 

Now we still should be able to do it and not lose, but what happened was big. It was nothing to gloss over. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

That’s not what the poster said. And you’ve taken my comment out of context. 
The poster said would you rather have a deep run into the tourney or win the conference. I’d rather win the conference. You get a trophy for that. You don’t get a trophy for coming in 4th. 
But my bigger point was about evaluating the team. It says more to win the conference champ than it does to win an NCAA champ. The NCAA tourney is probabilistically a crapshoot. The favorite at the start has hardly ever won it. The better team gets knocked out a surprisingly high amount of the time. 
Don’t get me wrong. I’d be thrilled with a final four appearance or a national championship. But, statistically it means less than winning your conference as far as judging how good a team is.

Are you smoking something????

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

Embarrassing 

AU is spending so much more money on Mens BB, with the same results. BP is in top ten highest coaches paid in BB, yet with the exception of one season, which appears to be nothing more than luck and a complete anomaly, it’s been a fun ride, but nothing game changing. This is a completely pathetic loss and in my opinion, seems to be our ceiling. Maybe win the regular season or the tourney and that’s it. He’s being paid an exorbitant amount of money for being a cheerleader and bringing the program back from the cellar, but eventually, results have to back up pay. 

• Like 1

I am still at a loss for words. Everything Auburn struggled with during the season all came to a head. Turnovers, missed free throws, guys cant make a layup. Just like when they played KY

Edited by e808
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1