Dan Hurley got tired of 1st weekend exits..

And made some philosophical changes a couple of years ago. Now look where UConn is. I wonder if Bruce is looking at some philosophical changes going forward. Would think he would have to be.

4 minutes ago, arktiger1975 said:

And made some philosophical changes a couple of years ago. Now look where UConn is. I wonder if Bruce is looking at some philosophical changes going forward. Would think he would have to be.

A little vague…

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

A little vague…

It had to do with emphasizing offense more, and changing their schemes. But still maintaining their defense and toughness identity (in other words, they didn't turn into bama). 

• Like 1

I don’t think there is anything wrong with the scheme it’s just the players aren’t panning out. The team has been one good guard away for the longest

I'm probably going to hijack the thread a bit in going on this tangent, so I'll keep it short, but if you've seen the Jake Crain video (I refuse to link a Jake Crain video personally), he basically just says the players and coaches have failed Auburn in its two major sports, while the fanbase and institution have given enough to expect more. I'm summarizing it a ton and making Crain sound less insufferable than usual, but the thing is that on that base level, you can't help but agree with him.

The problem is, he never suggests anything Auburn should or could do to improve from where it's at. The "we just need to perform better" or "the excuse time is over" or "there's a coach that's implemented changes elsewhere and have we considered making changes"...I just think that's the easiest, most base level of critiquing possible. I'm not saying that they're not valid opinions that people shouldn't have, but they're just complaints you could state whenever wherever, the second you ever have a tournament loss. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I'm probably going to hijack the thread a bit in going on this tangent, so I'll keep it short, but if you've seen the Jake Crain video (I refuse to link a Jake Crain video personally), he basically just says the players and coaches have failed Auburn in its two major sports, while the fanbase and institution have given enough to expect more. I'm summarizing it a ton and making Crain sound less insufferable than usual, but the thing is that on that base level, you can't help but agree with him.

The problem is, he never suggests anything Auburn should or could do to improve from where it's at. The "we just need to perform better" or "the excuse time is over" or "there's a coach that's implemented changes elsewhere and have we considered making changes"...I just think that's the easiest, most base level of critiquing possible. I'm not saying that they're not valid opinions that people shouldn't have, but they're just complaints you could state whenever wherever, the second you ever have a tournament loss. 

“Just need one more year”, on the Auburn AD letterhead.

2 hours ago, TigerOne said:

“Just need one more year”, on the Auburn AD letterhead.

This is the point of the post you quoted. What is the suggestion for the athletic dept? Btw I would contend, from what little knowledge the public knows, that Bruce has succeeded on the recruiting trail in spite of the AD. As I understand with Butch Thompson and the baseball program, it was a similar situation with the previous administration. Harsin was a loser through and through, but someone behind the scenes went out their way to clip him after his first year. I don’t know if they’re a blameless organization in all of this. 

I don’t personally go out my way to blame the AD for any failures in bball, but I think stepping back and letting Bruce operate is the best thing they seem able to do. If the expected leap in recruiting occurs once we sign with Nike (and hopefully get the bball facility going), then that will whittle down a very large set of the excuses for our failures

3 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I don’t personally go out my way to blame the AD for any failures in bball, but I think stepping back and letting Bruce operate is the best thing they seem able to do. If the expected leap in recruiting occurs once we sign with Nike (and hopefully get the bball facility going), then that will whittle down a very large set of the excuses for our failures

Whittling down the very large set of excuses is a little hard.  Some programs are winners and others make excuses.  Often times, programs just are what they are and fans have to accept them for what they are and quit making comparisons to other programs.  

Grab the few successes when they come our way try to find satisfaction where we can. 

1 hour ago, keesler said:

Whittling down the very large set of excuses is a little hard.  Some programs are winners and others make excuses.  Often times, programs just are what they are and fans have to accept them for what they are and quit making comparisons to other programs.  

Grab the few successes when they come our way try to find satisfaction where we can. 

Yeah I mean we aren’t UConn. We can and should expect to be better than first weekend losers, but we aren’t UConn and with us losing, UConn will likely at least have a double digit win their first 3 rounds of the tournament…again. Two years in a row. They’re on a run we haven’t seen in two decades. 

All processes can have improvements, and I don’t think it’s an excuse to point out where ours have worked, but have had some misfortunes. I routinely do this AND point out where we just have holes. I just think that’s more constructive than just asking “other programs re-evaluated themselves; have we considered doing that?”