Future AU HC (?) Steven Pearl

24 minutes ago, arein0 said:

Dusty May just agreed to be Michigan's new coach

Well I see I'm a bit behind. Thanks! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

On 4/2/2024 at 11:53 PM, aubaseball said:

CSP or Bucky?   Who would be the better hire based on credentials?  It shows that some on here don’t have a clue if they believe CBP should be able to decide if CSP should be the coach.   

Bucky was exposed to NIL when he was a player at Mountain Brook.  He has worked that system for years…

Look at the recent hires by programs better than ours and that are much better than us historically. They were not splash hires at all besides Michigan depending on what you think of Dusty May. It’s pretty obvious it’s going to be Steven and I’m fine with that. He’s a lottery ticket where if it hits we have our next coach potentially for the next 20 -25 years.

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, NCAubs said:

Bucky was exposed to NIL when he was a player at Mountain Brook.  He has worked that system for years…

Artfully worded. “was exposed to” lol.

Would it be better for Steven to go get some HC experience after this (hopefully) championship season? Or better to stay under Bruce as a line of succession?  If he has 4-6 years to be a Head Coach, does that make it easier to hire him full time after Bruce retires? But what other school wants to be the steppingstone program knowing he will bolt for Auburn afterwards?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tigeraddikt said:

Artfully worded. “was exposed to” lol.

I am not saying he was a player that got incentives to play at MB but I am certain he knew some.  That started 30 years ago when Mailon Kent’s son played at Mountain Brook and all of a sudden, the demographics of the team changed.  

When Bucky was coach, he was constantly getting players to transfer to MB from other local schools, including a couple of current NBA players.  

Don’t get me wrong, I like Bucky.  He is a great coach.  Just saying what everyone probably already knows.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NCAubs said:

I am not saying he was a player that got incentives to play at MB but I am certain he knew some.  That started 30 years ago when Mailon Kent’s son played at Mountain Brook and all of a sudden, the demographics of the team changed.  

When Bucky was coach, he was constantly getting players to transfer to MB from other local schools, including a couple of current NBA players.  

It's been a thing for a years in Georgia too.   Buford City High School entices athletes from many North of Atlanta suburbs.  Buford has its own school system, separate from the county and state.  I don't live in Buford but a local HS baseball phenom near my neighborhood (a friend of my daughter, who does not have the money to pay the Buford tuition) was compensated to play for Buford HS which is about 15~17 miles away.  Bammer and UGA always recruit Buford.  I ran into Saban and Kirby Smart at Buford restaurant at the same time.  Overheard them saying they were going over to Buford HS to see some talent while their wives were going shopping together.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Would it be better for Steven to go get some HC experience after this (hopefully) championship season? Or better to stay under Bruce as a line of succession?  If he has 4-6 years to be a Head Coach, does that make it easier to hire him full time after Bruce retires? But what other school wants to be the steppingstone program knowing he will bolt for Auburn afterwards?

I was under the impression mid-majors hire coaches with the hopeful anticipation they'll have to replace them a few years later once they get plucked away by a bigger job

Edited by Tiger
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NCAubs said:

Trendon Watford came to mind when I read your original post.

• Like 2