Future AU HC (?) Steven Pearl

IF BP is able to largely influence the selection of his successor when he hangs it up in (possibly?) 4-6 years time, and he is able to get the AD to buy into his son SP getting a shot as the next AU HC, what do you think AU will be getting in that hire? Personality differences from BP, recruiting ability, coaching ability, etc? I’m not advocating for that to happen, just wondering what other fans would think if that did happen, and what AU would be getting.

Edited by tigeraddikt

i think he is bright and would do a capable job. but come on tigeraddict we know you are really steven..............grins

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, keeperoftheplains said:

I think AU should hold out for Bucky-ball 😄

Would be no small miracle if he were available for AU to hire in 4-6 years.

Another twist is this:

What if Bruce leaves for another team in a couple years, and there are no proven head coaches available to replace him at AU?  Would AU offer Steven the head job under those circumstances?  And if so, would Steven even consider coaching at AU while his dad coaches elsewhere?

Just wondering...

58 minutes ago, WillMunny said:

Another twist is this:

What if Bruce leaves for another team in a couple years, and there are no proven head coaches available to replace him at AU?  Would AU offer Steven the head job under those circumstances?  And if so, would Steven even consider coaching at AU while his dad coaches elsewhere?

Just wondering...

I’d imagine he would take it in a heart beat. No brainer to me. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WillMunny said:

Another twist is this:

Just wondering...

Can’t think AU would do that. Hope we hire an experienced, proven head coach.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, tigeraddikt said:

IF BP is able to largely influence the selection of his successor when he hangs it up in (possibly?) 4-6 years time, and he is able to get the AD to buy into his son SP getting a shot as the next AU HC, what do you think AU will be getting in that hire? Personality differences from BP, recruiting ability, coaching ability, etc? I’m not advocating for that to happen, just wondering what other fans would think if that did happen, and what AU would be getting.

I think it would be incredibly foolish. But very JABA.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Can’t think AU would do that. Hope we hire an experienced, proven head coach.

The premise to my question was that no proven head coaches are available.   Just a hypothetical question.

Just now, WillMunny said:

The premise to my question was that no proven head coaches are available.   Just a hypothetical question.

If Pearl leaves us in a good place, we should be able to attract candidates to The Jungle.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

No one has actually answered the question in my OP, so I’ll start: SP comes across to me like slightly less blindly loyal and less diplomatic, while having more of a younger bro-lationship with recruits and players than the Papa-vibe BP brings. I think he obviously has seen what “works” from a schematic standpoint and what doesn’t. BP seems to indicate that SP does a good job scouting opponents, so he puts his time in and knows how to prepare a set of players for the task at hand. He seems less of a carny-barker than Bruce, which may not be needed now that the team is built up. For the record, I do think that AU should only target proven championship caliber HCs to replace BP.

Edited by tigeraddikt

I wouldn’t be opposed to hiring Steven Pearl if Bruce and the AD think he’s ready in the next 6-8 years. But he would be on a short leash IMO. If he starts tanking within the first 2 years, then I would look to the following options. 

1. Bucky Ball - if he’s still available. Definitely don’t want to see him at UAT after Oates. 

2. Todd Golden - He’s going to be (and already is) a very good young coach.

3. Will Wade - He’s a winner and an incredible recruiter. All jokes aside, what he did is now legal and the same arguments for him will be made that were used for Hugh Freeze. 

I would love to see BP get promoted to AD and in that situation I can certainly see SP as AU BB HC.

Thing is, we don't know what the BB landscape might be like when CBP retires. The entire NCAA world will be changing in the next few years. There may me some very successful coaches on the market. His kid -- well, coach-juniors have not fared so well in the past.

Personally, I want a coach who has actually taken his team to the Final Four or higher. Only that woukd be a step up from CBP.

No thanks! Let’s not turn the bball program into the football program. Go get the best available coach you can. Honestly, I feel like Steven should leave and go coach on his own for a few years. Might do him some good to get out from under his Dad’s shadow so he can take over a program like Auburn’s one day. You have to start somewhere, I just don’t want it to be here! 

• Like 7

Pearl has earned that he pick his successor and if he thinks Steven is fit do be it 

• Love 1
  • Dislike 3

8 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

I wouldn’t be opposed to hiring Steven Pearl if Bruce and the AD think he’s ready in the next 6-8 years. But he would be on a short leash IMO. If he starts tanking within the first 2 years, then I would look to the following options. 

1. Bucky Ball - if he’s still available. Definitely don’t want to see him at UAT after Oates. 

2. Todd Golden - He’s going to be (and already is) a very good young coach.

3. Will Wade - He’s a winner and an incredible recruiter. All jokes aside, what he did is now legal and the same arguments for him will be made that were used for Hugh Freeze. 

Let's just hire will wade and complete our image as redemption U for cheating coaches.

7 hours ago, AURex said:

Thing is, we don't know what the BB landscape might be like when CBP retires. The entire NCAA world will be changing in the next few years. There may me some very successful coaches on the market. His kid -- well, coach-juniors have not fared so well in the past.

Personally, I want a coach who has actually taken his team to the Final Four or higher. Only that woukd be a step up from CBP.

Who would be on this final four list that would come to Auburn? The only one I could see who's currently at a school that makes it possible to hire them and isnt about to retire is Dusty May (FAU)

In any industry or profession I can think of, when someone takes over for Daddy, they rarely have the experiences that shaped Daddy to be successful. 

• Like 5

Auburn does not owe Bruce so much that he gets his son the HC gig. Auburn took the chance on BP when his stock was at its lowest, then rewarded him by making him one of the highest paid coaches in the sport. It's allocating more resources to basketball than it ever has. If BP wants his loyalty to Auburn contigent on nepotism, then let him do what he wants elsewhere if that's what he desires.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, KansasTiger said:

Let's just hire will wade and complete our image as redemption U for cheating coaches.

Who would be on this final four list that would come to Auburn? The only one I could see who's currently at a school that makes it possible to hire them and isnt about to retire is Dusty May (FAU)

Is Saban coming to AU?

16 hours ago, Lotto said:

Pearl has earned that he pick his successor and if he thinks Steven is fit do be it 

Congratulations! Dumbest post on this forum.   Why did you pick the name “Lotto” Mrs. Pearl?  

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, KansasTiger said:

Well, we are talking about FUTURE when CBP decides it is time to retire. That could be a year or could be 5 years. Personally, I'm not eager to sign a contract assuring that his son will be appointed the new head coach (other than interim) when CBP retires. The track record of nepotism in college BB is not sterling gold.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, aubaseball said:

Congratulations! Dumbest post on this forum.   Why did you pick the name “Lotto” Mrs. Pearl?  

congrats on one of the sh*ttiest retorts to a fellow auburn fan dude..........jesus...........