Future AU HC (?) Steven Pearl

On 3/27/2024 at 12:55 AM, Lotto said:

Pearl has earned that he pick his successor and if he thinks Steven is fit do be it 

they missed the part about your IF bro.........people have crappy lives and like to bang on others to make them feel better. and one of the guys joining the gang bang against you has already been banned from upstairs for being a richard and he is proud of it.

Even the most well meaning, ethical person can have blind spots and clouded judgement when determining the capabilities of their own offspring, and I don't think Auburn University would be doing itself or the Pearls any favors by giving Bruce the option of picking his own successor. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CoffeeTiger said:

Even the most well meaning, ethical person can have blind spots and clouded judgement when determining the capabilities of their own offspring, and I don't think Auburn University would be doing itself or the Pearls any favors by giving Bruce the option of picking his own successor. 

Based on who he has had on the staff along with Steven, and Auburn being Auburn, I honestly think Pearl has a better ability to evaluate coaches than Auburn. It may be a nepo hire, but I think people are greatly overestimating Auburn’s ability to land elite basketball coaches. They got a layup with Pearl, where all they had to do was (and I’m going to be honest here in my language) put their integrity on the line. He was a great coach that was going to result in you being ridiculed in the public eye. For Auburn, that’s not a hard decision (as evidenced). 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

congrats on one of the sh*ttiest retorts to a fellow auburn fan dude..........jesus...........

Congrats to you for coming to the rescue of a poster.   If you believe that any coach has the right to name their successor, you are as misguided as the other guy.   Auburn does not owe any coach that right.   Someone with that mentality is a troll or not an Auburn fan.   
But again, thanks for being big brother on a message board.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, aubaseball said:

Congrats to you for coming to the rescue of a poster.   If you believe that any coach has the right to name their successor, you are as misguided as the other guy.   Auburn does not owe any coach that right.   Someone with that mentality is a troll or not an Auburn fan.   
But again, thanks for being big brother on a message board.   

i never said i wanted steven. bruce has the right to name replacements is all i meant to say. i either was misquoted  or did not state myself clearly. but yes the guy does not post much and i did not want him regretting coming here to post. thank you...............

5 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

congrats on one of the sh*ttiest retorts to a fellow auburn fan dude..........jesus...........

Rich coming from you and some of the retorts I've seen you give to fellow Auburn fans on the political forum.

• Like 1

Just now, KansasTiger said:

Rich coming from you and some of the retorts I've seen you give to fellow Auburn fans on the political forum.

you are such a richard. they have a snarky forum but you are basking so much in your own percieved splender i guess you missed that you caddillac bunper headed scrotum lipped jackwagon. the best thing for you to do is let me alone................or cry to the mods.

Just now, aubiefifty said:

you are such a richard. they have a snarky forum but you are basking so much in your own percieved splender i guess you missed that you caddillac bunper headed scrotum lipped jackwagon. the best thing for you to do is let me alone................or cry to the mods.

I submit the above as evidence. You shouldn't be chiding anyone on civil retorts 😂

2 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

I submit the above as evidence. You shouldn't be chiding anyone on civil retorts 😂

ok bumper head. for the record i could care less what you think. i have asked you to go away a couple of times now but you keep throwing more out there.

2 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

ok bumper head. for the record i could care less what you think. i have asked you to go away a couple of times now but you keep throwing more out there.

And yet, I seem to avoid drifting into name calling unlike the white knight defender of the forum over here. I'll leave you alone cause this almost feels unfair.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, KansasTiger said:

And yet, I seem to avoid drifting into name calling unlike the white knight defender of the forum over here. I'll leave you alone cause this almost feels unfair.

i do not like you. i have never liked you tho i tried once. and i never want anyone thinking i like you. you act how ya want. that is as plain as i can be.

Just now, aubiefifty said:

i do not like you. i have never liked you tho i tried once. and i never want anyone thinking i like you. you act how ya want. that is as plain as i can be.

Aw fifty, that hurts...I'm inconsolable.

I think there are too many hypotheticals to answer the OP. Maybe Bruce coaches for longer than that. What if SP strikes out on his own before Bruce retires? He may have already established himself as a solid head coach (or failed as one) by then. When the time does come, assuming he hasn’t flopped at another school as a head coach, I think he should get a look. And I think I’ll leave it at that. I don’t think he should be shoved to the top of the list because he’s a Pearl or because he coaches with Bruce. But he’s done enough for Auburn in his own right that, as of now, I’d say he deserves a look. 

Edited by ScotsAU

6 hours ago, ScotsAU said:

I think there are too many hypotheticals to answer the OP. Maybe Bruce coaches for longer than that. What if SP strikes out on his own before Bruce retires? He may have already established himself as a solid head coach (or failed as one) by then. When the time does come, assuming he hasn’t flopped at another school as a head coach, I think he should get a look. And I think I’ll leave it at that. I don’t think he should be shoved to the top of the list because he’s a Pearl or because he coaches with Bruce. But he’s done enough for Auburn in his own right that, as of now, I’d say he deserves a look. 

He deserves consideration and an interview, nothing more.  Bruce has earned his place and his salary level, he has not earned the right to name his successor.  

• Like 3

On 3/29/2024 at 12:25 AM, keesler said:

He deserves consideration and an interview, nothing more.  Bruce has earned his place and his salary level, he has not earned the right to name his successor.  

Does he “deserve” an interview? Based on what? His entire basketball life has been under his father’s tutelage. A career 32.6% FT shooter, Bruce still played him 11 minutes a game as a senior. Not a strong rebounder or scorer. He sold medical devices until his father hired him. I’ve got nothing against him. Maybe he could develop into a good coach but the way to do that is to seek out small time head coaching jobs like his Dad did and prove himself. Bruce put in 9 years in division II. Then 4 years at Milwaukee. Still, Auburn didn’t hire him based on his first 15 years as a HC. We hired him because he succeeded at Tennessee. I’ve got no problem with interviewing or hiring Steven— after he gets out on his own and proves himself. Until then, he shouldn’t be seen as a serious candidate.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Does he “deserve” an interview? Based on what? His entire basketball life has been under his father’s tutelage. A career 32.6% FT shooter, Bruce still played him 11 minutes a game as a senior. Not a strong rebounder or scorer. He sold medical devices until his father hired him. I’ve got nothing against him. Maybe he could develop into a good coach but the way to do that is to seek out small time head coaching jobs like his Dad did and prove himself. Bruce put in 9 years in division II. Then 4 years at Milwaukee. Still, Auburn didn’t hire him based on his first 15 years as a HC. We hired him because he succeeded at Tennessee. I’ve got no problem with interviewing or hiring Steven— after he gets out on his own and proves himself. Until then, he shouldn’t be seen as a serious candidate.

“Auburn didn’t hire him” is the key line. There were plenty of indications in Bruce’s career he was a good coach and…….Tennessee hired him. Other than Sonny and Cliff, Auburn’s hires have been uninspiring…until Bruce. I’d tend to trust his judgment over what we have seen from the usual hiring process.

25 minutes ago, tomcat said:

“Auburn didn’t hire him” is the key line. There were plenty of indications in Bruce’s career he was a good coach and…….Tennessee hired him. Other than Sonny and Cliff, Auburn’s hires have been uninspiring…until Bruce. I’d tend to trust his judgment over what we have seen from the usual hiring process.

You’d just trust his judgment on hiring an unproven head coach he’s related to? And btw, there were some pretty good coaches before Sonny. And I’d rather hire the guy who’s career is at the point Bruce’s was when Tennessee hired him than an unproven coach’s son.

I just hope this is a very premature thread.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

I’m just saying give CSP an interview as a possible candidate and weigh the pros and cons from there. I believe he has earned an interview based on the job he has done for the program.  

16 hours ago, keesler said:

I’m just saying give CSP an interview as a possible candidate and weigh the pros and cons from there. I believe he has earned an interview based on the job he has done for the program.  

No. You're saying Bruce has done a good enough job that he should have a loud voice in who his successor will be. It's a little difficult to know how much of the job Steven has done should be attributed to his father for you to be able to say that CSP has done such a great job for the program.

Now, I don't mind him being given a courtesy interview if that will make Bruce happy, but Auburn should never hire an assistant basketball coach to take over as head basketball coach. If Steven really thinks he's got the chops to take over for his dad, then he needs to take a head coaching job at a smaller program and build it up some on his own. That's the only way he's going to really know if he can handle the position of head coach, and he doesn't deserve the opportunity to learn it without his dad for the first time while at Auburn.

• Like 6

On 4/1/2024 at 8:25 PM, thewhiz7 said:

I just hope this is a very premature thread.

Hopefully, hopefully the nil and portal won’t force Bruce to give it up sooner. We are already seeing it start to erode the coaches.

Okay, so the son has watched and learned at the knees of CBP. But he has zero head coaching experience. And simply watching a charismatic head coach like CBP is NOT the same as being the same sort of charismatic persona. So does his years at the knees of CBP translate into the same sort of recruiting? Can he recruit like CBP? Can he motivate like CBP?

I'm not saying he is incompetent. I'm saying he needs some real life experience coaching as a HC and demonstrating that he can actually recruit and motivate players, coach players, call games, build (or continue) a program, etc.

Stephen Pearl MAY be a good coach, but we have NO CLUE whether he is head coach material,

When CBP retires, I want a real search for a coach with a track record of success. Not some "offspring of my loins" who has no proven ability.

Edited by AURex

CSP or Bucky?   Who would be the better hire based on credentials?  It shows that some on here don’t have a clue if they believe CBP should be able to decide if CSP should be the coach.   

7 hours ago, aubaseball said:

CSP or Bucky?   Who would be the better hire based on credentials?  It shows that some on here don’t have a clue if they believe CBP should be able to decide if CSP should be the coach.   

I mean, of those two choices it's not even close. You take Bucky literally 10 out of 10 times.

I think there may be better choices out there than Bucky, but I'll be honest, I'm not all that familiar with Bucky Ball outside their one game with Kansas. Auburn doesn't need to sell itself short. 

I'd target KSU's Jerome Tang. I like how he recruits and gets transfers (very BP like, but recruits better guards). I'd make Dusty May at FAU say no (even after his final four run is only making $1.25M). And if there's a chance in hell we talk Todd Golden into taking over for BP, you make that hire in a hearbeat.

Edited by KansasTiger

1 hour ago, KansasTiger said:

I'd make Dusty May at FAU say no (even after his final four run is only making $1.25M). 

Dusty May just agreed to be Michigan's new coach