Bama v UConn ?

• homersapien changed the title to Bama v UConn ?

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

How did Bama get this good?

They, unlike us, have an elite  coach.

And make NO mistakes.  Oates is elite.

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

Glad to see palming Sears and his high school mom for the last time

Edited by jluvah
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, 1716AU said:

They are a 12 loss team. A team we beat by 18.

Their tournament run consisted of beating a 13 seed, a 12 seed, a 1 seed, and a 6 seed. Not exactly a gauntlet of great teams.

Remember, Auburn's FF run we had to go through a 12 seed, a 4 seed, a 1 seed, and a 2 seed and then got cheated out of a win over another 1 seed and a championship appearance.

Oates is undoubtedly a good coach but let's not get carried away.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, jluvah said:

Glad to see palming Sears and his high school mom for the last time

I am so glad he's gone, that being said, dude is a baller. IMO idk if this Alabama team even makes the tourney without him.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

I am so glad he's gone, that being said, dude is a baller. IMO idk if this Alabama team even makes the tourney without him.

Got away with palming it all year long. Doesn’t make the moves or plays he does without it

• Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, 1716AU said:

I don't agree with this for simple fact that BP took a "team full of role players", with much less than ideal guard play and won a sec tourney title. That being said, I do think BP has lacked on evaluating talent at the G position, especially via the portal, which Oates has done well at. At the same time tho, I know Bruce likes G's that have that dog in them, Green and Zep both had that, Green just wasn't consistent and Zep wasn't much of an offensive guy. Aden, who knows what happens with him, I also cussed Bryce brown for 3 years lol. Tre showed flashes, just wasn't consistent. But I'm not ready to say Oates is an elite coach compared to Bruce.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

I don't agree with this for simple fact that BP took a "team full of role players", with much less than ideal guard play and won a sec tourney title. That being said, I do think BP has lacked on evaluating talent at the G position, especially via the portal, which Oates has done well at. At the same time tho, I know Bruce likes G's that have that dog in them, Green and Zep both had that, Green just wasn't consistent and Zep wasn't much of an offensive guy. Aden, who knows what happens with him, I also cussed Bryce brown for 3 years lol. Tre showed flashes, just wasn't consistent. But I'm not ready to say Oates is an elite coach compared to Bruce.

I agree with this. Basically right now they are up, it wasn't too long ago when we were up and it didn't look like they would be close to us anytime soon . Oates isn't coaching circles around BP. Like you said BP just have to hit on his guys better. 

I actually think they lost last night because of coaching by Oates. It was idiotic for them to start the game daring Castle to shoot. Everybody knew he's not a consistent shooter but let him establish that in the game. Don't leave him wide open and let him see a few shots go in and get a rhythm. 

Also you could see his guards besides Mark were nervous starting out. On top of that the one mismatch they had was UConn guards couldn't guard and stay in front of Mark. Mark started out something like 6-6, and he only had one or two plays ran for him.

He should have had Mark handle the ball in the beginning and kept attacking until they doubled. Maybe he gets some of them into foul trouble, and then he could have started hitting the other guys and they would have had some good shots, but more importantly they wouldn't have had the turnovers and without the turnovers UConn don't get those easy buckets to get going. 

I think if Pearl had the weapons he would have made UConn play more uncomfortable ball. But that's just my opinion.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I agree with this. Basically right now they are up, it wasn't too long ago when we were up and it didn't look like they would be close to us anytime soon . Oates isn't coaching circles around BP. Like you said BP just have to hit on his guys better. 

I actually think they lost last night because of coaching by Oates. It was idiotic for them to start the game daring Castle to shoot. Everybody knew he's not a consistent shooter but let him establish that in the game. Don't leave him wide open and let him see a few shots go in and get a rhythm. 

Also you could see his guards besides Mark were nervous starting out. On top of that the one mismatch they had was UConn guards couldn't guard and stay in front of Mark. Mark started out something like 6-6, and he only had one or two plays ran for him.

He should have had Mark handle the ball in the beginning and kept attacking until they doubled. Maybe he gets some of them into foul trouble, and then he could have started hitting the other guys and they would have had some good shots, but more importantly they wouldn't have had the turnovers and without the turnovers UConn don't get those easy buckets to get going. 

I think if Pearl had the weapons he would have made UConn play more uncomfortable ball. But that's just my opinion.

IMO Mark is what made bama who they were, I actually think they would have been a 14-15+ loss regular season team  and wouldn't have even come close to sniffing a final four without him but that's just my opinion. His play/intangibles elevated the play of those around him greatly imo. That's not a knock on those players but that's how much I value mark's ability in my mind.

Edited by Maverick.AU
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, 1716AU said:

That is quite possibly the most ridiculous and uninformed post ever put on this board. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

I believe he could play another year if he chooses too.   Covid year

8 hours ago, aubaseball said:

I believe he could play another year if he chooses too.   Covid year

They are trying to convince him to stay

On 4/6/2024 at 10:23 PM, Maverick.AU said:

They don't make the tournament without him. One elite scorer makes everyone else on the team better. At least on the offensive end of the court. 

8 hours ago, cole256 said:

I’m sure they are.  Fools if they don’t 

9 hours ago, cole256 said:

What other options does he have?

Take their 💲, ball out another year and be worshipped like a star at uat doesn't sound like a bad decision to me.  Heck, get a master's degree on their dime too.  

5 hours ago, JerryAU said:

What other options does he have?

Take their 💲, ball out another year and be worshipped like a star at uat doesn't sound like a bad decision to me.  Heck, get a master's degree on their dime too.  

Ultimate goal is NBA, if the interest of situation isn't good I'm sure he'll look at it. I'd love for him to end up in Dallas

• Like 2

I thought UConn was vastly superior to Purdue even before they played bama. After UConn played bama, I knew Purdue stood little chance. I thought bama played about as well as they could play, and UConn still pulled away in the end and won by 15. Purdue's guards were vastly inferior to bama's. 

On 4/10/2024 at 6:34 PM, arktiger1975 said:

I thought UConn was vastly superior to Purdue even before they played bama. After UConn played bama, I knew Purdue stood little chance. I thought bama played about as well as they could play, and UConn still pulled away in the end and won by 15. Purdue's guards were vastly inferior to bama's. 

Bama totally surprised me this tournament.

• Like 1