Being a "blue blood" meant very little for Kentucky

AU9377

Kentucky hires BYU's Mark Pope to replace Calipari.  Pope could be the right guy when we look back a few years from now, but one thing is certain, he wasn't the coach they wanted.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/kentucky-basketball-coaching-search-ends-with-mitch-barnhart-having-questions-to-answer/ar-BB1luvmF

This is going to either be a home run hire or it's going to end ugly, but I love the story of the daughter only relenting to wear the colors of her dad's employer with Kentucky socks underneath. I would have gone with underwear and undershirt to protect the vital areas from corruption, but it's the thought that counts.

• Like 1

Their process was certainly interesting. Basically looked at the tier 1 game breaker type of hires, then seemingly immediately settled for Pope. I don’t know if they’d care over saving just one class (they’ve already had some guys look to be released from their LOI), but this seems like a hire you could’ve made after at least seeing how Chicago/Billy Donovan panned out 

20 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Their process was certainly interesting. Basically looked at the tier 1 game breaker type of hires, then seemingly immediately settled for Pope. I don’t know if they’d care over saving just one class (they’ve already had some guys look to be released from their LOI), but this seems like a hire you could’ve made after at least seeing how Chicago/Billy Donovan panned out 

Billy D hasn’t coached in college since the 2014/2015 college bball season. It’s pretty obvious he rather be in the nba by now. Now does him maybe getting fired change things? Well it didn’t when he was fired by okc. 

12 hours ago, AU9377 said:

Kentucky hires BYU's Mark Pope to replace Calipari.  Pope could be the right guy when we look back a few years from now, but one thing is certain, he wasn't the coach they wanted.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/kentucky-basketball-coaching-search-ends-with-mitch-barnhart-having-questions-to-answer/ar-BB1luvmF

Same with Louisville and not a blue blood but still a very good job Ohio state saw the writing on the wall and just promoted their interim.

33 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Billy D hasn’t coached in college since the 2014/2015 college bball season. It’s pretty obvious he rather be in the nba by now. Now does him maybe getting fired change things? Well it didn’t when he was fired by okc. 

Maybe, but Kentucky is the best job that's truly opened up since that point in time. And again, I don't think Pope is off the table if they did wait another week or so. 

I don't believe pro coaches want to move down to college in general in this landscape, but there's some jobs that should be able to move differently than others 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Maybe, but Kentucky is the best job that's truly opened up since that point in time. And again, I don't think Pope is off the table if they did wait another week or so. 

I don't believe pro coaches want to move down to college in general in this landscape, but there's some jobs that should be able to move differently than others 

Just once can you just say you agree with me and keep the line moving!? I mean I ain’t asking much bruh!! 😂😂

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, tigeraddikt said:

Just came here to say congrats to OP for longest thread title I’ve ever seen.

Your valuable observation means even more, knowing that you took the time to click the thread and submit the reply.  All that after reading an entire sentence...... :)

• WarTiger changed the title to Being a "blue blood" meant very little for Kentucky