80 Year old man Shoots unarmed Uber driver to Death claiming he thought she was trying to rob him.

Not long ago we had an old man shooting at people who accidently pulled into his driveway. An old man who shot a black kid who accidently knocks on his door, 

And now we have an old man shooting an innocent Uber Driver to death in his driveway because he was mad/confused and thinking he was getting robbed. 

This man chased after with poor woman with a gun, took her phone from her to try and make her stay and then shot her multiple times when she tried to drive away. I'm sure he was angry and confused about the scam calls he had been receiving.  He evidently thought someone was trying to take something of his, and decided that he'd take his gun and solve the problem himself....unfortunately it led to the death of an innocent person and he'll likely, and deservedly, end up spending the last years of his live in prison. 

https://apnews.com/article/ohio-uber-driver-fatally-shot-2efec12816a9a40934a6a7524e20e613

William Brock, 81, also faces counts of kidnapping and felonious assault in the indictment handed up Monday by a Clark County grand jury.

The shooting occurred March 25 at Brock’s home in South Charleston. Officers from the county sheriff’s office responded there after Brock called 911 and said he had shot someone who was trying to rob him.

Brock had received scam calls from someone pretending to be an officer from the local court who eventually began making threats and demanding money, authorities said. The victim, Loletha Hall, 61, was an Uber driver who had been told to retrieve a package from Brock’s home, a request authorities say was possibly made by the same scam caller or an accomplice.

Hall had no knowledge of the calls made to Brock, authorities said. When she arrived at the home and got out of her car, Brock pulled out a gun and demanded she tell him who had made the threatening calls. He also took Hall’s cellphone and would not let her leave.

When Hall tried to get away, Brock shot her once, authorities said, then shot her two more times as they discussed the situation. Brock somehow sustained a minor head injury during the confrontation and he called 911 shortly after he fired the third shot.

Hall was taken to a hospital but later died there from her wounds.

Brock initially was charged with murder because authorities said Hall did not pose an active threat when she was shot. His next court hearing is scheduled for Monday.

The original scam calls to Brock and Hall remain under investigation, authorities said, and it’s not clear yet if the calls were placed by the same person.

I find it odd that the guy was being scammed, he knew it and coincidently an Uber driver shows up in his driveway.

I wonder who called the Uber driver?

2 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

I find it odd that the guy was being scammed, he knew it and coincidently an Uber driver shows up in his driveway.

I wonder who called the Uber driver?

That seems to be one of the biggest unknowns they are investigating. Someone somewhere was calling a scam on this guy, and also someone hired this Uber driver to do a pickup from his address. 

Also I'm not 100% sure from the reports if the old man knew he was being scammed at the time of the shooting. I don't know why the old guy thought this apparently middle aged woman with a limp was there to rob him. 

13 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

That seems to be one of the biggest unknowns they are investigating. Someone somewhere was calling a scam on this guy, and also someone hired this Uber driver to do a pickup from his address. 

Also I'm not 100% sure from the reports if the old man knew he was being scammed at the time of the shooting. I don't know why the old guy thought this apparently middle aged woman with a limp was there to rob him. 

If the guy was told an Uber was sent to pick up a package and it seems he thought she knew more than she did.  They will never catch the scammer so this guy will pay the price. 

2 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

If the guy was told an Uber was sent to pick up a package and it seems he thought she knew more than she did.  They will never catch the scammer so this guy will pay the price. 

Even if they do catch the scammer, it's not going to help this man. He literally chased her to her car, tried to hold her hostage and then gunned her down as she tried to get away. 

I'm sure he'll try to claim Ohio's stand your ground/castle doctrine as a defense saying he legitimately believed she was there to rob him or do him harm, but even in the most conservative interpretations of these self defense laws, you aren't allowed to chase them and kill them. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

They will never catch the scammer so this guy will pay the price. 

I would hope he pays the price for shooting an unarmed person to death.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

Even if they do catch the scammer, it's not going to help this man. He literally chased her to her car, tried to hold her hostage and then gunned her down as she tried to get away. 

I'm sure he'll try to claim Ohio's stand your ground/castle doctrine as a defense saying he legitimately believed she was there to rob him or do him harm, but even in the most conservative interpretations of these self defense laws, you aren't allowed to chase them and kill them. 

The point I was trying to get over is without the scammer the Uber driver would have never been there.  Without the scammer the old guy would not been aware of why the Uber driver was even in his driveway.  I am not excusing what the guy did.

This answer applies to @Gowebb11as well.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

I would hope he pays the price for shooting an unarmed person to death.

There’s too many folks itching for an excuse to use their gun (and I’m a gun owner).

2 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

The point I was trying to get over is without the scammer the Uber driver would have never been there.  Without the scammer the old guy would not been aware of why the Uber driver was even in his driveway.  I am not excusing what the guy did.

This answer applies to @Gowebb11as well.

I’m hopeful, but not overly optimistic they catch the scammer and throw him under the jail. We really need to crack down hard on those despicable scum. I know we have to technology to find them, we just don’t seem to have the will to do it. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

I’m hopeful, but not overly optimistic they catch the scammer and throw him under the jail. We really need to crack down hard on those despicable scum. I know we have to technology to find them, we just don’t seem to have the will to do it. 

If he ordered an Uber they should have a credit card to trace.

17 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

There’s too many folks itching for an excuse to use their gun (and I’m a gun owner).

Obviously they don't understand - or care about - the magnitude or finality of doing so.

Edited by homersapien

18 hours ago, CoffeeTiger said:

I agree. 

What does "catching the scammer" even have to do with this (the shooter's case)?:dunno: 

Edited by homersapien