4.18.24 Football Articles

I have read some of the comments and it is wrong for me to sulk when many folks looking forward to my posts get punished. apologies to the readers.........

• Like 4
  • Love 5

• Like 1

• Like 1

• Like 1

a few days old...........

• Like 1

• Like 1

I believe this to be the whole A Day game.

• Thanks 1

247sports.com

Freeze focused on culture relationships in building Auburn program

Jason Caldwell

25–32 minutes

Auburn Spring Transfer Portal Live Tracker

Live updates and tracking all things Auburn in the 2024 spring portal cycle.

The spring transfer portal is set to get underway, opening on Tuesday, April 16th, for 15 days before closing at the end of the month. The second window has historically been less busy in terms of entrants, top-name guys in the portal and activity from schools shopping in the portal. That is set to be the case for Auburn after signing nine in the first window, it's likely the Tigers sign around half of that or maybe a little more in the spring window.

Hugh Freeze and his staff will mostly focus on plugging holes on the roster, along with potentially dealing with current roster attrition.

Auburn Undercover is tracking all of the updates for Auburn's departures, Auburn's additions and potential Auburn targets. Note: The names we're tracking do not directly reflect Auburn's board. You can follow every player that enters the transfer portal across college football HERE. You can follow all of Auburn's portal movement HERE. 

LIVE UPDATES

(4/17): Former Penn State WR KeAndre Lambert-Smith is expected to officially visit Auburn this weekend, Auburn Undercover has learned.

(4/17): Auburn Undercover caught up with former Indiana DT transfer Philip Blidi following his official visit. Subscribers can read the VIP story on his visit, what other schools are in play, decision timeline and more HERE.

(4/16): J.D. Rhym is officially in the portal.

(4/16): Keyron Crawford and Nyjalik Kelly are both buck linebacker targets to watch in the portal.

(4/16): Auburn buck linebacker Brenton Williams is the first departure into the transfer portal. Appeared in two games as a freshman in 2023.

(4/15): Former Indiana defensive tackle Philip Blidi is set to arrive in Auburn for an official visit. He will depart on Wednesday. Also visited Washington and LSU already with plans to visit Oklahoma, too.

(4/12): USC defensive back Tre'Quon Fegans is set to enter the transfer portal. Originally recruited by Charles Kelly and signed with Alabama. A name to monitor.

(4/12): USC defensive tackle Isaiah Raikes is re-entering the transfer portal. The former Texas A&M Aggie visited in January before choosing USC, now a few months later, he's back in the portal.

(3/26): Auburn cornerback J.D. Rhym is no longer with the team and will enter the transfer portal when the window opens.

Quarterback

Transferring out: N/A

Looking to add: 0

Names we're tracking: 

As of right now, Auburn has four scholarship quarterbacks in Payton Thorne, Holden Geriner, Hank Brown and Walker White. If one were to leave Auburn would likely explore the portal for a depth piece. But if all four remain on roster, the Tigers will stand pat. 

Running back

Names we're tracking: 

Similar to quarterback, Auburn has four strong running backs on scholarship currently. Brian Battie entered the portal during the first window, but opted to return. If he were to depart now or someone else were, the Tigers would likely explore adding one. Likely a younger one. But as of now, Auburn is set.

Wide Receiver

Looking to add: 1+

Names we're tracking: KeAndre Lambert-Smith (Penn State), Samuel Brown (Houston)

Even if Auburn doesn't have any current roster attrition — though some seems likely — receiver is a spot where Auburn will likely look to add another piece or two. Unlike last spring window when Auburn brought in FCS and mid-major transfers like Shane Hooks and Jyaire Shorter, Auburn looking for high-level transfers from bigger programs, more SEC ready will be key. Point being, Auburn will be picky about who it brings in at receiver.

Tight End

Names we're tracking: 

Auburn added Rico Walker as a depth piece and for the future of the room in the first portal window. Barring an unforeseen entry, Ben Aigamaua has his room all ready to go.

Offensive Line

Names we're tracking:

Auburn was focused on adding a left tackle in the first window and did just that with Percy Lewis. If the right name were to pop up it could always be a possibility or if roster departures occurred, but offensive line is in a pretty good spot going into the portal window.

Defensive line

Looking to add: 2+

Names we're tracking: Philip Blidi (Indiana), Isaiah Raikes (USC), Jermayne Lole (Louisville)

Without a doubt the biggest need this portal window, Auburn will be looking for starters and depth along the defensive line. Look for Vontrell King-Williams to search for at least two interior defensive linemen, and maybe even a third if the numbers work out. Going into the window a few names are already known and worth tracking.

Buck LB

Transferring out: Brenton Williams

Looking to add: 1-2

Names we're tracking: Keyron Crawford (Arkansas State), Nyjalik Kelly (Miami), Dayon Hayes (Pitt),

With Jalen McLeod really the lone experienced piece at the buck position, it seems like a position where Auburn may try to add another veteran. Brenton Williams had a strong showing at A-Day and the Tigers signed some impressive young players in 2024, but might want a little more seasoning in the room for this fall.

Linebacker

Looking to add: 0-1

Names we're tracking: 

While Auburn added Dorian Mausi in the first window, the Tigers have him, Eugene Asante and Austin Keys as the main three for this fall. Robert Woodyard had a strong A-Day and could be coming into his own, which helps things for the fall. But behind them, it's a lot of youth. If there were to be a spot open and the right name popped up, it's feasible that Auburn could add a linebacker.

Defensive back

Transferring out: J.D. Rhym

Looking to add: 0-1

Names we're tracking: Tre'Quon Fegans (USC)

While the secondary is one of the deepest positions on the team, Auburn may add one to the room after Rhym's departure. An Alabama native who signed with the Crimson Tide before transferring to USC and now back in the portal, Fegans is the main one to track early on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

saturdaydownsouth.com

Cam Coleman is emerging as a potential game-breaker for Auburn

Spenser Davis | 18 hours ago
5–6 minutes

Auburn’s offense needed a spark last season, but one never really arrived.

The Tigers struggled to move the ball, particularly through the air, last season en route to a 6-7 campaign. They lost their final 3 games of the regular season, including a heartbreaker at home to Alabama and a blowout defeat to Maryland in the Music City Bowl.

But in 2024, things are already trending upward for Auburn’s offense.

Freshman phenom Cam Coleman is already establishing himself as a potential difference-maker from Day 1 of his collegiate career. Ranked as the No. 3 overall player in the country for the class of 2024, per 247Sports Composite rankings, Coleman is the type of player who can transform an offense like Auburn’s.

And to be clear: Auburn’s offense needs a transformation. Last season, the Tigers ranked 11th in the SEC in yards per play and 13th in passer efficiency rating.

How much can a true freshman wide receiver impact those numbers remains to be seen — especially with an experienced-but-limited quarterback in Payton Thorne set to return next season.

But to his credit, Hugh Freeze sounds like he’s ready to let Coleman take the Tigers as far as he can. In an interview with On3’s J.D. PicKell earlier this spring, Freeze compared Coleman to some of the best wide receivers he’s had during his coaching career. That list includes NFL vets such as Laquon Treadwell, Mike Wallace, DK Metcalf and AJ Brown, amongst others.

“Boy, I’m every bit as excited about [Coleman] as I was [for those guys],” Freeze said. “There’s something to him.”

Freeze went on to talk about Coleman’s character and work ethic in addition to his athletic gifts.

“He is the most humble, coachable kid,” Freeze added. “And that’s rare in today’s time … he’s just humble. So you’ve got to give credit to his mom and dad and his family.

“Obviously there’s a lot of things he doesn’t know. You see it on film. I can see it out there before the ball is snapped. ‘Uh oh, he’s unsure.’ But that’s to be expected. When he’s sure, he’s really, really, really good.”

While it’s good to hear that Coleman is locked-in mentally as well, his physical traits are also elite. He’s listed at 6-foot-3, 188 pounds. Per Reel Analytics, Coleman showed off an impressive in-game athleticism score of 80.5.

Cam Coleman’s has an IN-GAME ATHLETICISM™ Score of 80.5, signaling his upside potential. Coleman has the traits to make an immediate impact for the Tigers. #IGAScore

? https://t.co/UFKB2eWAzCpic.twitter.com/B3a4CPnmjY

— Reel Analytics (@RAanalytics) April 9, 2024

Here’s video of one of Coleman’s biggest plays during A-Day last week:

Welcome to college football, @CamColeman12 ? pic.twitter.com/VYrR4H4UpJ

— Auburn Football (@AuburnFootball) April 6, 2024

At the risk of putting too many expectations on a true freshman, Coleman has the potential to break through at a program that has struggled to produce wide receivers for generations. Auburn has exactly 2 1,000-yard receiving seasons in program history, and zero since 1999 when Ronney Daniels accomplished that feat.

As Saturday Down South’s Connor O’Gara noted this week, Auburn hasn’t had a receiver drafted in the top 2 rounds of the NFL Draft since 2002 (Tim Carter). It hasn’t had a 1st round wide receiver (excluding supplemental drafts) since Terry Beasley in 1972.

Also from O’Gara — and perhaps more relevant to Auburn in 2024 — the Tigers have not had a top-40 passing offense since 1997. Auburn has also ranked in the bottom half of the SEC in passer efficiency rating in each of the past 6 seasons.

After the spring game last week, Freeze spoke about how important wide receiver talent is to increasing offensive efficiency.

“The more talented receivers we get, the better our passing game is going to be,” Freeze said. “I’m confident that we can move the football if we continue to add pieces to the talent of the roster. And I think we’ve done that some, but we need to continue to do that.”

That quote certainly points toward the possibility that Auburn will look to add more WR reinforcements in the portal this spring, but it also speaks to the importance of having a player as talented as Coleman on your roster.

Regardless of what happens around Coleman in Auburn’s WR room, it’s becoming clear that he’s going to be crucial to the Tigers’ success in 2024.

Auburn will open its 2024 regular season against Alabama A&M on Aug. 31. If you want to bet on the Tigers during the offseason, you can place a wager on Auburn’s regular season win total at an online sports book like bet365. Auburn’s win total for 2024 is currently set at 7.5.

TRENDING

58,148 READS

51,772 READS

23,016 READS

e01c7c4f9957bc498cb9cfb814d2da69?s=100&d

Spenser Davis

Spenser is the news manager at Saturday Road and covers college football across all Saturday Football brands. Follow on Twitter.

• Like 1

si.com

Auburn Interested in Top Transfer Portal Wide Receiver

Daniel Locke

~2 minutes

The top wide receiver in the transfer portal has heard from the Auburn Tigers.

In this story:

Wide receiver was a position that the Auburn Tigers knew needed some improvement heading into this season.

Head coach Hugh Freeze and company added two 5-star recruits at the position in Cam Coleman and Perry Thompson and have made additions to the room via the Transfer Portal including Robert Lewis from Georgia State.

The Tigers may not be done as the top wide receiver in the Transfer Portal, Penn State's KeAndre Lambert-Smith has been in contact with the program.

The 6-foot-1 junior from Norfolk, Virginia has played four seasons with the Nittany Lions. Lambert-Smith has made at least 15 receptions in each of his season in Happy Valley. 2023 was his best campaign as he made 53 catches for 673 yards and four touchdowns.

As a recruit, Lambert-Smith was a 4-star prospect in the clas of 2020 with a 91.85 rating according to On3. The Maury High School product was the No. 192 player nationally, the No. 35 wide receiver and the No. 4 player in the state of Virginia.

Lambert-Smith chose Penn State over programs such as Clemson, Florida, Ohio State and Texas A&M.

Other than Auburn, Lamber-Smith has been in contact with programs such as Colorado, Georgia, Texas A&M and West Virginia since entering the portal.

1 minute ago, Martian Manhunter said:

Thanks, Fiddy!

I hope you're all healed up. I'm still sending prayers.

i have a year of chemo. when this started they said i would not need it. i have done one treatment and i do it every three weeks. but thank you. i am good.

• Like 4

Welcome back Fiddy!  Sure did miss you & your posts.  Hope you are much better now.

• Love 1

al.com

Here’s what new NCAA transfer rule means for immediate eligibility

Published: Apr. 17, 2024, 7:08 p.m.

3–4 minutes

FILE - In this March 18, 2015, file photo, the NCAA logo is displayed at center court at The Consol Energy Center in Pittsburgh. The NCAA will hold the inaugural 32-team Women’s Basketball Invitation Tournament next spring on campus sites with the champion crowned April 3 in Indianapolis. ESPN-plus will televise the games exclusively. Westwood One Sports will provide radio coverage of the semifinals and finals. (AP Photo/Keith Srakocic, File)AP

The Division I Council on Wednesday unanimously adopted a new NCAA transfer rule that will allow all undergraduate athletes to transfer and play immediately if they meet specific academic requirements, regardless of whether they transferred previously.

The rule will provide immediately eligibility to any athletes who have transferred during the 2023-24 academic year, including the football players who entered the transfer portal Tuesday and during the window, as long as they are academically eligible and meeting progress-towards-degree requirements at their new school.

The council’s action is not final until the meeting concludes Thursday and is subject to ratification by the Division I Board of Directors at its meeting later this month.

If ratified, the rules would be effective immediately.

To be immediately eligible after a transfer, undergraduate student-athletes would have to have left their previous school while academically eligible and in good standing and meet progress-toward-degree requirements at their new school before competing.

For graduate transfer student-athletes to be eligible, they would have to earn a degree from their previous school, leave while academically eligible and be enrolled as a full-time postgraduate student while continuing to satisfy minimum academic standards.

The legislation will not limit the number of times an athlete can transfer. There will still be two transfer windows, but student athletes won’t be able to transfer midyear and play for a second school in the same season.

“With these rule changes, NCAA members continue to prioritize long-term academic success for college athletes who transfer, while supporting their opportunity to compete immediately,” Lynda Tealer, deputy athletics director at Florida and chair of the council, said, per NCAA.org. “We hope that this practical approach to transfer eligibility requirements will encourage student-athletes to make well-informed decisions about transferring and the impacts such a move could have on their ability to graduate on time in their degree of choice, particularly as it relates to transferable credits.”

There will continue to be exceptions to the legislated transfer windows, including for the departure of a head coach or a discontinued sport.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

If you purchase a product or register for an account through a link on our site, we may receive compensation. By using this site, you consent to our User Agreement and agree that your clicks, interactions, and personal information may be collected, recorded, and/or stored by us and social media and other third-party partners in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

5 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

I have read some of the comments and it is wrong for me to sulk when many folks looking forward to my posts get punished. apologies to the readers.........

Welcome back, brother!  Your excellent level of service has been really missed!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

11 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

Yep, I’ve about quit the extra morning coffee. Looked on here tonight and see 4.18.24 Football Articles

10 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Yep, I’ve about quit the extra morning coffee. Looked on here tonight and see 4.18.24 Football Articles

brown nosing will get you everywhere salty.

4 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

brown nosing will get you everywhere salty.

Good morning from beautiful but foggy Mexico Beach FL this morning Fiddy. 

• Like 1