Robby Ashford is your...

...backup QB at South Carolina coming out of the spring.  Shane Beamer names redshirt freshman LaNorris Sellers the starter after spring practice.

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/sports/college/usc/2024/05/07/south-carolina-football-shane-beamer-names-lanorris-sellers-starting-quarterback/73596602007/#:~:text=COLUMBIA — South Carolina football coach,is the Gamecocks' starting quarterback.

He did state that, like all of the positions, Sellers will have to continue to compete with Ashford in the fall to hold on to the starting role.

Robby is such an outstanding athlete he likely could have had a professional career if he had faced the music and changed positions a couple of years ago.  I wish him the best.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Where to now?

The bench.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

But where?😉

The shame of it is, the kid is an outstanding athlete.  He's just never been able to be consistently accurate or consistently and calmly stay in the pocket, read a defense, and deliver it to the right person.  He'll show flashes but then revert to bad habits.  And he's now a senior.

I think if he would embrace a move to WR or DB, he could be a serious weapon for an SEC level team.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

The shame of it is, the kid is an outstanding athlete.  He's just never been able to be consistently accurate or consistently and calmly stay in the pocket, read a defense, and deliver it to the right person.  He'll show flashes but then revert to bad habits.  And he's now a senior.

I think if he would embrace a move to WR or DB, he could be a serious weapon for an SEC level team.

I feel like he had to have received advice from more than one coach to change positions.  Was playing QB just the hill he wanted to die on?

8 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

I feel like he had to have received advice from more than one coach to change positions.  Was playing QB just the hill he wanted to die on?

Apparently.  And I get it.  He's not the first guy to be the stud QB in high school or college to not see they don't have what it takes to play the position at the next level.  Tebow could have been an outstanding TE/H-back in the pros for years, for instance.  But Robby also has had certain people close to him in his ear telling him how amazing he is and that the coaches don't see it or whatever.  No coach has given him a fair shake, no one has really developed him, so on and so on.  And "you can be the star QB" is what he wants to hear so he discounts what everyone else tells him.

Idk if there has ever been a player where "ourstanding athlete" has been more overstated. You would think he runs a 4.25 and scores a TD every time he touches the ball. It's comical.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/8/2024 at 3:53 PM, TitanTiger said:

But Robby also has had certain people close to him in his ear telling him how amazing he is and that the coaches don't see it or whatever.  No coach has given him a fair shake, no one has really developed him, so on and so on.  And "you can be the star QB" is what he wants to hear so he discounts what everyone else tells him.

One would think that by the time he is at his third university, and backing up a freshman, some of that previous advice to change positions might finally start to resonate.

• Like 2

I'm sure Robby is a really fine young man and there is no doubt that he is a truly excellent athlete. But he can't hit the broad side of a barn from 2 feet away in slow motion. I am so disheartened that coaches continued to feed his desire to be a QB rather than forcing him to move into a position where he could actually succeed. The coaches did a disservice to him and now it is too late for him make a real mark as a fb player in some other position.

• Thanks 1