Auburn Internet Broadcasts no longer free

zeebish

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I used to live in Boston and the Internet was the only way I could listen to the non-tv games. I'm in Atlanta now, so it's not as big of a deal. This does suck for all of our soldiers around the world who will now have to pay to listen. I guess the bottom line is that college football is all about money, isn't it?

:no:

CSTV

CSTV Networks, Inc. is a multi-media company consisting of the first 24-hour college sports television network, College Sports TV; the leading college sports online network, CSTV.com; and the first 24-hour college sports radio network, SIRIUS College Sports Radio.

Through its numerous platforms, CSTV provides more live college sports games, events, news, information, analysis and broadband content, and reaches more college sports fans, than any other company. CSTV has television and other media rights for all Conference USA sports and, beginning in 2006, it will have exclusive media and marketing rights for all Mountain West Conference sports. CSTV also owns exclusive multi-media rights to Navy home and select neutral site football games, as well as other Navy sports.

Welcome to two weeks ago. ;)

Just messing with you. We bitched about this pretty good a few weeks back. I think it sucks but apparently we're one of the last to jump on the pay per listen bandwagon.

when does this go into effect, because i listened to the tech game online and didn't pay anything (i don't think).

i'll go read the article to see if that answers my question....

ct

I listened this weekend without paying - what gives? Maybe it's like paying for premium content on other sites - you can still hear the game, but not any of the other stuff?

they launched the new-look website yesterday. looks like i'll be joining in to listen to ball state this weekend. $5 for the first month is still cheaper than $30 per ticket to BALL STATE & WKU. other schools have been doing this for years. hopefully they'll be some new wrinkles we haven't seen.

Please advise whether there is any radio station that broadcasts the game live on the net. We used to have a station nearby in TN, but since the net broadcast came about, apparently they dropped the games.

I'll just watch the games on delay Sunday night. We may have to hook up an audio feed from someone's radio in AL! That'd fixem. :moon: *grin* There's an AU bunch on PalTalk.

BTW, I don't like the "new look." It's about as dark as a Batman movie!

LE

Still haven't found a streaming radio station that's a part of the AUNetwork?

180757[/snapback]

680 the fan out of Atlanta?

When I was a child, you could listen to auburn Football all over the Southeast.  One could also listen to other games broadcast on local stations.  I believe that the price of the broadcast to radio stations has made it too expensive for the smaller stations that were so loyal in past years.

It is all about the money!

So now unless you live in a metropoliton area you can't listen to Auburn football.  Even here in Birmingham, if you live just south of the city you can't pick it up-especially at night.

I have complained to the athletic director about this many times but this pay to listen thing is even worse.

180657[/snapback]

That does suck. I invested in Sirius prior to the football season because, where I live it is nearly impossible to get a station that carries :au: . I used to listen to the internet broadcast and watch the game on tv, I've gotten away from that the last couple of years though.

Whereas, football only broadcasts are still free. I don't know if college can be done like professional sports on the radio because each college owns its licensing rights instead of one big organization like the NFL, MLB, etc. If you do have to pay for football broadcasts, this only should apply if you are out of market for :au: broadcasts. If you live in Alabama or nearby in a neighboring state, you should still be considered "in market" and not have to pay. That is the FCC guidelines anyway, but there may be some loophole that the greedy people can get around. As far as a station that carries :au: games and also has a live internet feed, WVNN 770 AM out of Huntsville, AL is a choice. I have not tried them on game day, but you may want to give them a try.

Archived