Looking back on Saturday

Aubie7

Let's face it: This was the big stage we had all waited on for Auburn to shine. They did not. It is not that they didn't play hard or want it, they just didn't get it done. Once again, the QB was forced to win the game and he and the recievers did/could not.

Offense

Red zone failures, many, many dropped passes, failure to protect QB, bounced passes, missed assignments

D

Defense

Great job! Only gave up one TD.

A-

Punting game

Awful. Once again, when you punt straight to a return man and allow a return, you take the chance on giving up a TD. It finally happened.

F

Kicking game

What can you say!? It lost the game for us. The offense couldn't put the ball in the endzone and we still had chacne to win. Why was someone else not given a chance to at least kick the last 2 trys?

F

Coaching

LSU had a better game plan and won. Very simple. They let the Auburn RB run all he wanted, but would not allow him once inside the red zone. Without a SUPER GREAT effort by KI, he does not score on the long run. He broke tackles and did it all on his own. LSU put the game in the Auburn QB's and receivers hands and they literally dropped the ball all night. We did not try or have time to throw deep, which made it hard to losen up the defense.

D

Looking at the rest of the schedule we should beat Ole and Kentucy, but nothing this year is a given. It would surprise me if we lost one of those games, but it could happen. I see no way we win the last two, at this point. We have not beat a quality team all year and at this rate, even if we win the next two, we will not have beaten a Div-1 team with a winning record.

Bowl outlook

None yet. With one win, maybe Houston.com, with two, maybe Independence, shock the world and beat UAT or UGA, then maybe a Music City.

Hard to swallow, yes, but our worse nightmare has yet to happen: UAT and Texas in the Rose Bowl. No way Geaorgia beats UAT in Atlanta and I don't see UAT losing.

I'm not so sure about the "gloom and doom" that you are forecasting at the end of the season. Yes, UGA and UAT will be a fight, but we can beat both of them repsectively. That AU team that played @ LSU fought hard, and should have won the game. Even after all the missed chances. This team is tallented. I would not want to know that I had them on the schedule, that's for sure. Auburn out gained LSU, out played LSU, and came up short due to the kicking game. Auburn ran up and down the field v/s a vaunted D and had it right where you want it on the road v/s a top 10 SEC foe.

WAR DAMN EAGLE! 10-2 is not out of the question this season!

I do see LSU beating Alabama and winning the west. Auburn will come up second and play in the Peach or the Outback.

I'm not so sure about the "gloom and doom" that you are forecasting at the end of the season. Yes, UGA and UAT will be a fight, but we can beat both of them repsectively. That AU team that played @ LSU fought hard, and should have won the game. Even after all the missed chances. This team is tallented. I would not want to know that I had them on the schedule, that's for sure. Auburn out gained LSU, out played LSU, and came up short due to the kicking game. Auburn ran up and down the field v/s a vaunted D and had it right where you want it on the road v/s a top 10 SEC foe.

I do see LSU beating Alabama and winning the west. Auburn will come up second and play in the Peach or the Outback.

191914[/snapback]

That would be nice. Let's hope so.

Well not surprisingly, I disagree in many respects. Still think you are overly pessimistic. So do 99% of the LSU fans I talk to. In most people's eyes, we seem to have gained respect and credibility, not lost it.

Offense

WRs did let us down (with the exception of Anthony Mix), but Kenny Irons, Brandon Cox and the offensive line had good to great games. The line really picked up blitzes well and Cox was virtually unfazed by the raucous crowd. I don't buy for a second that LSU's "strategy" was to let Irons get his yardage. They tried to stuff the run and were successful early, but Irons and the O-line started wearing on them resulting in 215 yds rushing. Even taking away the amazing 74 yd TD, he still had 141 yds on 26 carries which is amazing. LSU's defense has been getting better all year so I don't know how many point you expected to score, but I predicted 20. We get that and more if we hit just a couple of those FGs.

Defense

Awesome effort. Held a very talented group to 10 pts.

Punting

Can't argue with you. Take away that first punt and we did well. But that's the problem. We shouldn't have had to learn the hard way. If you're gonna kick to him, you have to hang it high and force fair catches. Otherwise you're playing Russian roulette.

Coaching

Interesting because to me it looks like we had a great game plan. Offense moved the ball against a very tough defense. We go for it on 4th down and throw a TD right into the endzone where their student section is going bonkers. We hold them to 10 pts. defensively. Comes down to one ill-advised line drive punt and/or one or two FGs we should have hit. I don't see how that rates a "D" by any stretch. Frankly, no team on the rest of our schedule really scares me.

LSU or Bama 11-1

AU 10-2

Bama or LSU 10-2

This is very possible.....would kinda put a rest to the which division is stronger debate!!!

LSU or Bama 11-1

AU 10-2

Bama or LSU 10-2

This is very possible.....would kinda put a rest to the which division is stronger debate!!!

191938[/snapback]

You evidently didn't read Aubie7's rules for talking about Auburn:

1. Unless Auburn goes 13-0, beating everyone by 3 TDs, they suck.

1a. If Auburn does go 13-0, it's an aberration and has nothing to do with good coaching or recruiting.

2. In the event Auburn seems to look pretty good in a close win or close loss, refer to rule #1.

Frankly, no team on the rest of our schedule really scares me.

191922[/snapback]

I agree with your whole post but this quote for sure!!!

I am extremely optomistic about this team. I know I am an Auburn :homer: but Auburn played a good game. The ball didn't bounce our way this game but I would defintely say that we have a chance to win out. If Auburn plays the way they did on Saturday, minus the special teams blunders and some dropped balls, we have a chance to go back to Atlanta. I think we have the talent and can win but the unfortunate thing now though is we need help to get there. We no longer have our destiny in our own hands.

Well not surprisingly, I disagree in many respects.  Still think you are overly pessimistic.  So do 99% of the LSU fans I talk to.  In most people's eyes, we seem to have gained respect and credibility, not lost it. 

191922[/snapback]

AU without a doubt earned respect in my mind.....there is no question about it! AU is a VERY good football team!

Do not pay attention to the man behind the curtain!!! From my perspective 7 is neither an Auburn fan or Auburn Man. I believe his heart is in west Alabama. He is here to stir up problems.

Well not surprisingly, I disagree in many respects.  Still think you are overly pessimistic.  So do 99% of the LSU fans I talk to.  In most people's eyes, we seem to have gained respect and credibility, not lost it. 

Offense

WRs did let us down (with the exception of Anthony Mix), but Kenny Irons, Brandon Cox and the offensive line had good to great games.  The line really picked up blitzes well and Cox was virtually unfazed by the raucous crowd.  I don't buy for a second that LSU's "strategy" was to let Irons get his yardage.  They tried to stuff the run and were successful early, but Irons and the O-line started wearing on them resulting in 215 yds rushing.  Even taking away the amazing 74 yd TD, he still had 141 yds on 26 carries which is amazing.  LSU's defense has been getting better all year so I don't know how many point you expected to score, but I predicted 20.  We get that and more if we hit just a couple of those FGs.

Defense

Awesome effort.  Held a very talented group to 10 pts.

Punting

Can't argue with you.  Take away that first punt and we did well.  But that's the problem.  We shouldn't have had to learn the hard way.  If you're gonna kick to him, you have to hang it high and force fair catches.  Otherwise you're playing Russian roulette.

Coaching

Interesting because to me it looks like we had a great game plan.  Offense moved the ball against a very tough defense.  We go for it on 4th down and throw a TD right into the endzone where their student section is going bonkers.  We hold them to 10 pts. defensively.  Comes down to one ill-advised line drive punt and/or one or two FGs we should have hit.  I don't see how that rates a "D" by any stretch.  Frankly, no team on the rest of our schedule really scares me.

191922[/snapback]

I agree 100% :thumbsup:

I will say this about the punting...after that first kick, Kody Bliss was on fire...something that most punters dont do after a bad kick. He had a couple of great kicks.

Aubie7 giving our coaching such a low grade.....give me a break. This game came down to player execution. The coaching was there, the execution was not. There were MANY plays that could of gone for long runs, or TDs (the failed half-back pass by Carl Stewart...Anthony Mix was wide open for a TD.....all the dropped passes by WRs, etc). I would give our coaching a B+.....they only scored ten points on our offense for gods sake.

By the way jaydubb......I spit out my breakfast reading your post...thanks :lol::roflol:

Do not pay attention to the man behind the curtain!!!  From my perspective 7 is neither an Auburn fan or Auburn Man.  I believe his heart is in west Alabama. He is here to stir up problems.

191983[/snapback]

Oh, you done done it now! :lol:

Get ready for a meaningless yet steady barrage of "Where did you graduate?", "Did you go to Auburn?" and so on ad nauseum.

Guest Tigrinum Major
Do not pay attention to the man behind the curtain!!!  From my perspective 7 is neither an Auburn fan or Auburn Man.  I believe his heart is in west Alabama. He is here to stir up problems.

191983[/snapback]

Oh, you done done it now! :lol:

Get ready for a meaningless yet steady barrage of "Where did you graduate?", "Did you go to Auburn?" and so on ad nauseum.

192001[/snapback]

Don't forget "I have three degrees." and "I was a part of an SEC Championship team."

i'm still reeling from one of the worst 12 hour stretches of my life which included but was not exclusive to: losing a tight game, my roommate getting food poisoning, not being allowed to leave my parking lot for over an hour (along with tons of lsu fans) due to shear incompetence, running out of gas in gulfport, ms, sleeping in the parking lot of an econo lodge, and arriving back at auburn around 9 am. terrible. the food was great for me, and the people were as fun as i remembered. even so, this will go down as the worst road trip in my collegiate career.

as for the game:

brandon can throw the ball. he played pretty well, but he's still so lacking in all the "experience" areas like clock management, watching the play clock, audibling... he's got the physical tools, but the little things (like burning our timeouts in both halves) really stung.

we have a running game! no doubt about it now. we can run on anyone, and that was with a guy who lost his starting job (and at the time, the move made a lot of sense).

worst game by our receivers since 2003. period. now i'll gladly delete it from my memory.

i thought the defense played well, but i think saying they only gave up 10 is sharing a little too much credit. dwayne bowe's dropped ball/the following missed kick had little to nothing to do with our defense. they played a good, not great by any stretch, game. i can't even say how disappointed i was/am that they allowed lsu to score immediately following us taking the lead. worst possible time to loosen up.

special teams were remedial. kody played well overall, but how does a punter make up for 7 points? that return was on him although the wind was bad in that direction. don't know if that came through on tv. matt clark looked good. and i refuse to talk about john. hope he puts this one out of his head, but i'm afraid of the damage a game like that usually does to a kicker.

lost a game we should have won. and always get gas in baton rouge after a night game. those are the only thoughts i kept from the weekend.

I believe not being able to warmup prior to each kick also affected his kicks. We were restricted to the players box unlike LSU's kicker. Security boxed in our players and would not let John and the DS practice warmups prior to each kick. This is not customary and will certainly cause an issue with the SEC office. Must be a Big 12 thing.

Archived