Brodie Croyle--How Good?

Proud Tiger

Let me say up front this is not a thread to bash Croyle, just a cut at a fair evaluation. I think he is a good kid and comes from a good family. But IMHO, he hasnt' lived up to all the hype which includes being touted for the Heisman Trophy.

Watching the game Saturday and seeing bama's defense win the game for the 2nd week in a row., I couldn't help but wonder what the defensive players are thinking when all the TV guys could see was Brodie. Brodie spent a lot of time on his butt and was not very impressive to me. Yet the announcers raved about him the whole game. I don't think Cox is a great QB yet but I think he is playing just as good as Brodie. In fact Cox had more yards passing against LSU than Brodie had against Tenn. Take away that last long pass by Croyle and his stats were dismal. If I had to pick the most overrated CEC team at this time, it would be Tenn. (#3 in one preseason poll) and the individual player would be Croyle.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The media, both local and national, want, so badly, to be the first to recognize that "Bama is back" that they probably won't feel the pain whe Bama falls flat on it's face...which will happen in the not too distant future. Everything about Bama being back was based on a healthy Brodie, so the media has to play him up regardless of how he plays.

Cox, as a soph is showing me more than Croyle, as a senior. By the time Brandon is a senior he will make All America.

brodie? Oh, the skinny kid in the dark pink jersey who was seen often on his back for the past two weeks.(Ole Miss put him on the ground, and, after all, they are Ole miss!) :D

uat is living on the edge against very average-below average competition.(Isn't #5 SUPPOSED to beat #17?) :blink: It will get tougher soon enough. B)

p.s. Brandon is what he was advertised to be. A very good qb that in time may very well be a great one. You can see him growing and learning each and every week. I wouldn't trade him for any qb in the SEC. :au:

Brodie is a very good QB with tons of grit and heart. Is he a Heisman candidate? No. But he's still a really good QB with great arm strength (especially for his size) and nice touch on the long ball.

Now, UT has a much improved defense this year so I'm not surprised it was tough going for bammer. Plus, you take away his most potent weapon and things get that much harder. Think about last year and how many times Courtney Taylor made the big catches we needed, right when we needed them? That was Prothro for Bama...the go-to guy when other things weren't clicking and you needed a big play.

Croyle is a very solid QB. You have to give him a lot of credit for sticking it out through all the adversity he has faced. I'd take Croyle over any of the UT QB's...

I think Cox today is as good if not better than Croyle and in 2 more years he will only get better.

Note again that I'm not saying Brodie isn't a good QB but I ask...did Prothro make Brodie look good or vice-versa?......and shouln't some of the defensive guys be getting more media attention. I doubt Brodie will ever paly on Sundays but some of the defensive guys have that potential. The media does them a disservice by giving all the attention to Brodie.

Who do you think will be the All SEC QB?

Thats the thing about Bama this year. It isnt just Brodie making plays, it is everyone on the team. DJ Hall made a hugh catch, Harper made a huge hit, Christianson made the kick (i might have messed his name up). I think yes, without Brodie Bama isnt a very good team. But just him on the field makes everyone better. Like many of you said, he didnt have a great game. But it was enough. Actually 17 for 27 for almost 200 yds is not bad at all. The o-line was the reason that he was on his back a few times. But that o-line is young, they will improve next year. As for Brodie being a Heisman runner, no way.

I think if anyone deserves any creidt it is the defense. To hold a team to 3 pts is very good.

Go ahead and bash us, but Bama is playing scrappy hardnose football. As did AU last year, if I recall that AU team last year made the plays when they were needed.

That is a tough call at this point. Maybe Shockley if he is able to return after the injury. Maybe Croyle if they make it to Atlanta.

Note again that I'm not saying Brodie isn't a good QB but I ask...did Prothro make Brodie look good or vice-versa?......and shouln't some of the defensive guys be getting more media attention. I doubt Brodie will ever paly on Sundays but some of the defensive guys have that potential. The media does them a disservice by giving all the attention to Brodie.

191989[/snapback]

Well if the media keeps hyping Brodie...it might be him.

But heres who I think SHOULD be the ALL SEC qb:

1. D.J. Shockley

2. Jay Cutler

Guys, I've gotta' say, Brodie has been impressive to me. His accuracy has improved big time. He's making all the throws and putting the ball on the numbers. He doesn't seem real mobile at times, like this past Saturday, then other times, he takes off and seems to always find the sticks. He may not have lived up to the hype, but then who could with some of the media in this state. Still, he's become a very solid QB.

DISCLAIMER: The preceeding statements are considered positive remarks about an Alabama player and have not been approved by the FDA or EPA. Small children should not be exposed to these type statements without adequate protection and/or adult supervision. Do not try this at home.

Thats the thing about Bama this year. It isnt just Brodie making plays, it is everyone on the team. DJ Hall made a hugh catch, Harper made a huge hit, Christianson made the kick (i might have messed his name up). I think yes, without Brodie Bama isnt a very good team. But just him on the field makes everyone better. Like many of you said, he didnt have a great game. But it was enough. Actually 17 for 27 for almost 200 yds is not bad at all. The o-line was the reason that he was on his back a few times. But that o-line is young, they will improve next year. As for Brodie being a Heisman runner, no way.

I think if anyone deserves any creidt it is the defense. To hold a team to 3 pts is very good.

Go ahead and bash us, but Bama is playing scrappy hardnose football. As did AU last year, if I recall that AU team last year made the plays when they were needed.

191994[/snapback]

uat of '05 should not be compared to the '04 SEC Champions. With the exception of the lsWHO game, we basically owned everyone we played. uat was lucky to pull out a win vs ole miss, not to mention UT. Luck counts, but, it will only take you so far, then, it will be time to pay the "piper".

191994[/snapback]

Roman Harper is the man! Not to give away my age, but I graduated High School with him at Prattville, and he was great back then. He played both Quarterback and Corner in high school.

191994[/snapback]

Nobody is bashing on Bama, yet. Brodie has proved he can be an effective QB in the SEC. He is making the plays and helping win ball games. The fact of hte matter is....since Prothro went down the Bama O has not been the same. Very bad performances the past 2 Saturdays. I know UT has a decent D, but Ole Miss doesn't. With the way BAma and Auburn's Defenses are playing, we may see the second end of regulation 0-0 tie in I-A football :blink:

AWKSTER, I was in Montgomery one Thursday night and decided to slip down to Crampton Bowl to watch Prattville and Lanier. You are so right. Harper was all over the field playing QB and DB. Great athlete. I was pissed about the fumble but he threw his body into a 270 lb. running back going full speed. That's extreme.

AWKSTER, I was in Montgomery one Thursday night and decided to slip down to Crampton Bowl to watch Prattville and Lanier.  You are so right.  Harper was all over the field playing QB and DB.  Great athlete.  I was pissed about the fumble but he threw his body into a 270 lb. running back going full speed.  That's extreme.

192055[/snapback]

Yep, I talk to him on a regular basis and cheer for him! I always used to ask him, "Whyd you have to go to Alabama?" , haha, but he is a great guy on and off the field. Gotta represent Prattvegas :cheer::big:

191994[/snapback]

Nobody is bashing on Bama, yet. Brodie has proved he can be an effective QB in the SEC. He is making the plays and helping win ball games. The fact of hte matter is....since Prothro went down the Bama O has not been the same. Very bad performances the past 2 Saturdays. I know UT has a decent D, but Ole Miss doesn't. With the way BAma and Auburn's Defenses are playing, we may see the second end of regulation 0-0 tie in I-A football :blink:

192052[/snapback]

A 0-0 Iron Bowl going into the half would not surprise me at all. On the other hand a 30-30 Iron Bowl into the half wouldnt either.

191994[/snapback]

192052[/snapback]

A 0-0 Iron Bowl going into the half would not surprise me at all. On the other hand a 30-30 Iron Bowl into the half wouldnt either.

192093[/snapback]

There is not a chance in **** that the iron bowl will be anywhere near 30-30 at half. If either AU or Bama scores 20 they will win.

191994[/snapback]

192052[/snapback]

192093[/snapback]

There is not a chance in **** that the iron bowl will be anywhere near 30-30 at half. If either AU or Bama scores 20 they will win.

192239[/snapback]

yea your right for sure

When his receivers break open deep, he still overthrows them by a mile.

192268[/snapback]

I think that is because he is still throwing to Prothro who could catch up with the ball.

Not always but usually how effective a QB is shows up in the team's offense ranking. This week bama's passing offense is 6th in the SEC and their total offens is 7th. Brodie's passing efficiency is 3rd in the SEC. On the other hand bama's total defense is ranked 1st. So I maintain it is the defense that is carrying them and deserves more recognition than they are getting.

Brodie Croyle is awesome. Just admit it. Cox's arm doesn't compare, and Brodie has that "it" that it takes to win football games. He also makes really good reads. Not his fault his receivers and O-line are average.

Performance-wise, IMO Brodie would be above average. But what really impresses me about him is his leadership and his ability to come through when his team needs him. In the Ole Miss game on the last drive he ran 25 yards and was 3-3 on 3rd downs. And that was after a mediocre performance through the first part of the game. In the Tenn game, he also had a mediocre night but came through when he was needed, completing a deep pass. The past two weeks, it is because of him that we won.

Croyle has the inside track to being the All-SEC quarterback, as of right now. Reasons: 1) He is a senior. 2) His return has made the most difference to his team. LSU and Auburn were both very good last year, so Russell and Cox can't take as much credit; plus, Cox is only a soph and the :au: QB won it last year. Chris Leak would have been my preseason pick, but he has been injured and ineffective. Cutler would be a sentimental choice, but I'm afraid the 'Dores have just lost too many games. The wild card is Shockley, whom I don't know very much about. I tuned in the :arky: - :uga: game Saturday and found out he was injured. Will miss the :uf: game and possibly more, which will hurt his chances.

I think Croyle is a shoo-in if the tide makes it to Atlanta, even if they lose there. If we wind up with :uga: vs. :au: or :lsu: , then Shockley may be the favorite, provided he returns after the Florida game and plays well. Bottom line, we have to wait until the end of the season to get a clear picture.

Croyle has the inside track to being the All-SEC quarterback, as of right now.  Reasons:  1) He is a senior.  2) His return has made the most difference to his team.  LSU and Auburn were both very good last year, so Russell and Cox can't take as much credit; plus, Cox is only a soph and the  :au: QB won it last year.  Chris Leak would have been my preseason pick, but he has been injured and ineffective.  Cutler would be a sentimental choice, but I'm afraid the 'Dores have just lost too many games.  The wild card is Shockley, whom I don't know very much about.  I tuned in the  :arky: - :uga:   game Saturday and found out he was injured.  Will miss the  :uf: game and possibly more, which will hurt his chances.

I think Croyle is a shoo-in if the tide makes it to Atlanta, even if they lose there.  If we wind up with  :uga: vs.  :au:   or  :lsu: , then Shockley may be the favorite, provided he returns after the Florida game and plays well.  Bottom line, we have to wait until the end of the season to get a clear picture.

192571[/snapback]

Like it or not, Croyle & Shockley are probably the leaders right now, IMO. Croyle's case has been pretty well covered. Shockley gets props for following the winningest QB in SEC history (or is that just Georgia history?), David Greene, and leading the Dogs to no let down this year. I'd guess the voters would go with which ever of them wins in the SECCG (if they're both there).

Of course, I'm hoping Cox will be the winner in that game, so that tie breaker will be moot.

Archived