Bama/LSU matchup

AUesquire

I know it's early and Bama still has Utah State to get by.....okay, it's not too early. :D At this point in the season, I think we've seen enough of both teams to get an idea how they'll match up. This game will definitely affect our season now that we don't completely control our own destiny.

I will say first and foremost, Bama has to find their offense again or it won't be close. Whether it's the loss of Prothro or just a period where they aren't clicking, the fact is that in the past two games, their offense has been nonexistent. However, I'm more intrigued by the matchup of their defense against LSU's O. I think we'll see a change in philosophy from what Auburn used in BR Saturday night. Auburn did a great job against them and certainly gave us every opportunity to win. I'm looking for far more blitz packages out of Alabama than what we brought Saturday.

Bama's D has convinced me. They fly to the ball and bring a lot of pressure from different angles at the QB. I can see Russell eating a good bit more turf than he did against us. LSU, on the other hand, looked a little better in the secondary than I thought they would. Our receivers had to work for everything and there were a lot of "no calls" on pass interference, meaning they were very tight on our guys. Their D-line should be able to match the pressure UT put on Croyle.

Bottom line, I think this is going to be a very low scoring affair with the edge going to the Bengal Tigers IF Bama does not work out the offensive kinks prior to that game. The crowd will be wild if Bama is still undefeated, which may be worth a point or two. I sure wouldn't count out Alabama in this one. They're looking a lot like our 93' team, finding a way to win the close ones.

Thoughts?

With a win over directional utah on Saturday, uat will have won the number of games I expected from them this season. They should be able to handle Miss St.

I do not see them playing as they have the past two weeks and winning vs a GOOD team. That "good" category fits Auburn and lsWHO. They can't possibly beat lsWHO or Auburn and not score a touchdown. It just ain't gonna happen.

They have not shown the ability to do anything without prothro. That may change, but, it just doesn't look good for them.

LSU is certainly the more explosive team on offense. I expect a low scoring game, though, because of uat's stellar defense. bama has looked anemic offensively the past two weeks, except with the game on the line. Then they have been able to move with the 2-minute offense, finding the big play somehow. They also seem to be on a run of old time Bear Bryant luck, with the fumbles by UT.

LSU should have the talent to win this, but a couple of turnovers could be fatal. With the game in Tuscaloosa, I give the edge to bama.

Archived