solution for the bcs

mcgufcm

require multiple hardware.

sounds dumb but here's what i mean: there are two major human polls involved in the bcs (although the harris isn't the ap, it is now a big deal). SO, my thought is this: i have no problem with split national championships. none. i never had a problem with it before the damn bcs. i always thought college football was more of regional sport on purpose. i suggest that when the bcs has to pick between multiple unbeaten teams there should be a clause to automatically split the title with one poll (probably the coach's) going to the 1/2 winner, and the other going to the 3/4 winner. the only major change would be that the four major bowls would have to accept a 3/4 game. as it is, they just set it up haphazardly after the title game.

it would never fail b/c to fail there would have to be 5 unbeaten teams and that's never going to happen. never. so if you have 4, match 'em up and split the title. if you have three, match two of them up, get the best game for the other, and if you finish with two, split the title. i don't see usc complaining about playing michigan and getting a split in 2003. i certainly wouldn't be complaining if we had gotten a crack at usc or ou and gotten a split or gotten a split for the win over vatech. i dunno. just a thought that would avoid a playoff.

require multiple hardware.

sounds dumb but here's what i mean: there are two major human polls involved in the bcs (although the harris isn't the ap, it is now a big deal). SO, my thought is this: i have no problem with split national championships. none. i never had a problem with it before the damn bcs. i always thought college football was more of regional sport on purpose. i suggest that when the bcs has to pick between multiple unbeaten teams there should be a clause to automatically split the title with one poll (probably the coach's) going to the 1/2 winner, and the other going to the 3/4 winner. the only major change would be that the four major bowls would have to accept a 3/4 game. as it is, they just set it up haphazardly after the title game.

it would never fail b/c to fail there would have to be 5 unbeaten teams and that's never going to happen. never. so if you have 4, match 'em up and split the title. if you have three, match two of them up, get the best game for the other, and if you finish with two, split the title. i don't see usc complaining about playing michigan and getting a split in 2003. i certainly wouldn't be complaining if we had gotten a crack at usc or ou and gotten a split or gotten a split for the win over vatech. i dunno. just a thought that would avoid a playoff.

192829[/snapback]

mc -- There were 5 unbeatens at season's end just last year: AU, BSU, Choklahoma, SC & Utah. Louisville was one pass play against Miami (in Miami) from being the 6th unbeaten team at season's end last year. From the very beginning the BCS knew this (more than 2 unbeatens) was always a possiblity. They always dismissed it with the rationalization that "things will work itself out by season's end." Essentially, they were hoping & praying the inevitable would never happen. The fact that it has already happened once is proof that hoping & praying it won't happen again is a poor substitute for thinking about a meaningful playoff system.

okay so maybe the solution needs us to be honest and admit that no team in a non-major conference is ever going to win a title. then it works.

okay so maybe the solution needs us to be honest and admit that no team in a non-major conference is ever going to win a title. then it works.

192838[/snapback]

I'll be honest & say the stupid BCS is currently set up to NEVER let us see a non-BCS conference team get the chance to play for the title. I don't know if such a team could ever win it or not but the fact that the current system excludes them even if they go undefeated (e.g. Utah last year) pretty much disqualifies the BCS as legitimate to my way of thinking. How about you?

The BCS is full of elitist crap when they give favoritism to one school (ND) and then exclude the bulk of Div-1A teams from any chance of ever seeing the title game. Beauty Contest Selection.

While I must say that a semi playoff-based split is certainly an improvement over what exists currently, I must also ask why do people insist on compromising with stupidity (not referring to you MC)? At the core, that is all one is doing when trying to solve this problem with anything other than a true playoff. Give us a champion that the NCAA is willing to crown.

Polls do not work. Computers do not work. Any combination of the two does not work. Polls and computers would work if they allowed for the possibility of having multiple teams of equal caliber at the top as the postseason begins, and then allowed them to settle the issue against one another on the field of play. However, at that point you have arrived at a playoff.

Archived