NCAA Lunacy Continues

AFTiger

NCAA denies Newberry nickname appeal

The State ^ | Oct. 27, 2005 | PATRICK OBLEY

Newberry College president Dr. Mitchell Zais on Wednesday said the NCAA’s decision to bar the school from hosting postseason events and bear its Native American nickname on uniforms was “unjust, coercive and perhaps illegal.”

The school can participate in postseason events as long as its nickname, the Indian face or the arrowhead spear are not displayed in any form.

“We are disappointed in this unjust, coercive and perhaps illegal ruling from the NCAA,” Zais said as a part of the school’s formal response to the NCAA’s ruling. “We are sorry that the NCAA feels that Newberry is unfit to host postseason play because of a nickname that our athletic teams have borne for nearly a century.”

That said, Zais reiterated the school would stand firm despite the ban.

“Newberry College has no intention of changing its nickname,” Zais said. “Changing at this time would indicate that we did not truly believe in the validity of our appeal, or that our moral compass was subject to be swayed by the collective opinion of the NCAA Executive Council.”

On Aug. 4, the NCAA released a list of schools whose Native American nicknames were deemed offensive and barred those schools from displaying related nicknames and logos during postseason events. Several of the programs, such as the Florida State Seminoles, received a waiver upon appeal because Native American tribes portrayed in their logos had given consent.

In its Sept. 12 appeal, Newberry argued that its nickname, first used in 1901, “honors the history and culture of the American Indian, his bravery and tenacity in battle.”

To back its case, the school referred to a Harris Research poll that indicated 81 percent of Native Americans support the use of “Indian” nicknames in high school and college athletics.

On Tuesday, the NCAA rejected Newberry’s argument, stating it “misses the point because it values intent over effect.”

Newberry uniforms do not depict the “Indians” nickname or any other marks the NCAA deemed offensive, but the use of the arrowhead spear and other marks are ubiquitous around campus and on related sporting-goods apparel.

The ban on hosting postseason activities will take effect in March unless the school changes its nickname.

“I don’t foresee anything that could change it,” Newberry athletic director Andy Carter said. “The NCAA says we have nobody speaking on our behalf, but that’s part of the problem. Nobody specifically has said that the Newberry Indians is offensive, either.”

Another South Atlantic Conference member, Catawba, shares the Indians nickname and is under the same ban. School officials have said they will file an appeal as soon as its fact-finding commission has finished its study. The major difference between Newberry and Catawba is the existence of the Catawba tribe.

What if the fans show up with "Indian" jersey's and such? Will the NCAA throw them out? Will fans be forced to "meet at the pole?"

It is time to disband the NCAA and form another association.

I agree, the NCAA has "lost it" and needs to be replaced by an organization that is truly representative of its members and less self-absorbed with power and political correctness.

It took the major football powers in the 1980's forming the CFA (College Football Association) to force the NCAA to abandon some of its silly antics. Good Ol' Vince Dooley was the point man for the CFA. It brought about college football on TV as we know it today and put huge amounts of revenue into the coffers of the major football powers.

We need a similar revolt against the NCAA and BcS today.

Newberry is such a small school that it really wouldn't matter what name they used! I do agree that the NCAA needs to let up a bit. What indian tribes are against teams using Indian type names??

Newberry is such a small school that it really wouldn't matter what name they used!  I do agree that the NCAA needs to let up a bit.  What indian tribes are against teams using Indian type names??

193189[/snapback]

You hit the nail on the head right here, it’s a small school its not a matter of name really its simple a small school, that doesn’t have the funds to fight them. FSU did have the money to fight the ncaa and look what happened they gave them the ok to use the name, called it “the long standing good relationship that FSU had with the seminoles. All these schools need to come together and fight; individually they will not get anything accomplished. They don’t have the money to "sway" the opinions of the NCAA.

Maybe we should form a protest to point out the stupidity of folks of the peta "ilk". I hereby nominate Esquire to eat, oh let's say , 40 goldfish at halftime of each of the remaining games this year. B)

p.s. You may feel free to wash them down with the beverage of your choosing. ;)

Guest Tigrinum Major
I like what someone posted a while back.

PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals :D

193275[/snapback]

I love animals...especially fried ones.

As I've said before...I urge everyone to e-mail, write, call the SEC offices, and recommend that we leave the NCAA. It is an organization which has outlived its usefulness. We can do our own TV deals. We have enough teams to play a full schedule without playing any outsiders at all...and THAT will get the ball rolling!!! The NCAA, along with its shill, espn, $UCKS!!!

:au::homer:

Archived