A sportswriters take on Lou Holtz

tarheeltiger

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writ...lbag/index.html

" Is there another retired/unemployed former coach out there who would be interested in replacing Lou Holtz in the ESPN studio next season? Please? And would any fellow viewers chip in with me to raise the necessary funds in the event there's some sort of buyout in Holtz's contract?"

I used to have a lot of respect for Holtz until I saw the kind of mess he left at SC. I did not know untill recently (from comments on this board) about the cloud he left on other schools after his departure.

Lou Holtz is an older, skinny Terry Bowden. He is a master motivator and salesman who can take a former coaches players and make them believe they can win. As a result, he has been able to take over several programs and turn them around quickly. He has never been able to sustain a program over several years and has never stayed more than 5 or 6 years anywhere, leaving the program in worse shape than he found it more often than not.

In his early years, at Arky, he was a pretty tough disciplinarian, or so it seemed. As he moved on to other schools, he seemed to become more lax, more "win at any cost". At South Carolina, that attitude was so prevalent that even his players, other than his select few, were complaining. If he had retired, and stayed retired, 10 years ago, his legacy would have been pretty good, but with the fiasco as SC, he will be remembered only as a coach who stayed too long and lost whatever control he had over his team.

No one at ESPN will take care of it's own, so of course they are going to blast CTT for taking stabs at him. But here is someone not affiliated with them pretty much agreeing with what CTT said.

Archived