Just watched the replay of the 83 AU-UGA

PowerI

My favorite AU team. I was in school then and had a bunch of those guys in some classes. Even had Bo in two classes. Funny, he was on the roll but I never really saw him much.

Hmmmm ;)

I still think that schedule they played has to rank as one the top 2-3 ever played. So many teams were undefeated and top 10 when AU knocked them off. Some people take for granted we played Maryland with Boomer Esiason that year when they were undefeated and in the top 6 o 7 when we played em'. Florida State was the same way. Power, wasn't UGA undefeated as well in that game?

My favorite AU team.  I was in school then and had a bunch of those guys in some classes.  Even had Bo in two classes.  Funny, he was on the roll but I never really saw him much.

Hmmmm ;)

I still think that schedule they played has to rank as one the top 2-3 ever played.  So many teams were undefeated and top 10 when AU knocked them off.  Some people take for granted we played Maryland with Boomer Esiason that year when they were undefeated and in the top 6 o 7 when we played em'.  Florida State was the same way.  Power, wasn't UGA undefeated as well in that game?

197443[/snapback]

1983 (10-1-1)

Coach: Vince Dooley

Capt.: Freddie Gilbert, DE

9/3 19 UCLA 8 Athens*

9/17 16 Clemson 16 Clemson, SC

9/24 31 S. Carolina 13 Athens

10/1 20 Miss. State 7 Athens

10/8 36 Ole Miss 11 Oxford, MS

10/15 20 Vanderbilt 13 Nashville, TN*

10/22 47 Kentucky 21 Athens

10/29 31 Temple 14 Athens

11/5 10 Florida 9 Jacksonville, FL

11/12 7 Auburn 13 Athens

11/26 27 Georgia Tech 24 Atlanta

COTTON BOWL

1/2/84 10 Texas 9 Dallas, TX

I still think that schedule they played has to rank as one the top 2-3 ever played.  So many teams were undefeated and top 10 when AU knocked them off.  Some people take for granted we played Maryland with Boomer Esiason that year when they were undefeated and in the top 6 o 7 when we played em'.  Florida State was the same way.  Power, wasn't UGA undefeated as well in that game?

Auburn had the toughest schedule this side of the NFL in '83. Funny, but despite losing to Texas in week 2 of that season, no team had a better record. 11- 1 .

In '04, Auburn once again had the best record in college football, 13-0, shared by USC. While Auburn's record was weaker than it had been, it was still rated stronger than USC or OK's.

BYU beats a 6-5 Michigan team and wins the MNC back in '84. So, when our schedule is the toughest, we get no respect. And when it's not the toughest, we still get no respect. Regarddless of how good Auburn is 1 season, it seems the only way it'll earn respect is to win several years in a row, and hope the fickle voters are in a good mood.

Would be good to win tomorrow , so we can help our case next year, or the year after. Gotta start somewhere.

:au:

Archived