Ben Obomanu

AUJarhead

Didn't see this posted, and think it speaks volumes of the kinds of kids that play at Auburn. Good luck, Ben, I can't think of anyone who deserves it more...

Ben Obomanu Named Finalist For ARA National College Football Sportsmanship Award

Nov. 30, 2005

AUBURN - Auburn senior wide receiver Ben Obomanu has been named by the Awards and Recognition Association as one of 10 finalists for the ARA National College Football Sportsmanship Award as announced Wednesday.

The award recognizes outstanding role models in Division I football programs highlighting strong character and athletic excellence as well as sportsmanship.

To qualify for the award, athletes must be a starting player or significant contributor to the team, be a senior in good academic standing, demonstrate great respect for competitors, school, teammates and coaches, show an ability to accept victory and defeat graciously, convey a high degree of humility and integrity and demonstrate commitment in the classroom and to the community.

Obomanu, a Selma, Ala., native, graduated in three years with a degree in finance while maintaining a spot on the Dean's List, is president of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes and is very active in the Auburn/Opelika community.

Obomanu leads the Tigers with 28 receptions for 295 yards on the year and is second in Auburn history with 18 career touchdown receptions. On the ground, Obomanu has been successful this season as well rushing six times for 139 yards and two touchdowns.

The winner will be selected by a panel of former football coaches, sports and media professionals and representatives from ARA and other complementary organizations and will be announced in mid-December.

Congrats to Ben! :au::au:

Brodie would have been nominated for the ARA National College Football Sportsmanship Award, if he had not kicked the fence!

... show an ability to accept victory and defeat graciously, ...
Based on this criterion of the whole selection criteria, Ben should win this award solely for his decision to face the press after the Ole Miss loss 2 years ago. I haven't ever seen any college-aged player display more maturity & class after dropping a sure game winning pass. I know the award is for this year's behavior but I can't forget what he did then. Outstanding & congratulations for getting nominated for such a prestigious award. bammie fans take note: Ben O is the epitome of class. WDE :au:

Archived