football weight training

bigsixfive

Does anyone know the team's lifting routine? What about general football lifting programs?

I'm about to head back into the gym after some time off (20lbs). Recently I came across a book on training for football and it had a great weight lifting program in it. I didn't buy the book because it was rather pricey and I usually stick to Amazon, but I want to try the workout. I'm not finding squat on the internet, which makes me think I'm searching for the wrong thing. Thought I'd check here to see if anyone knows the general format of the team's offseason workout schedule.

:au: I did a graduate internship, during Coach Dye's heyday, with the strength and conditioning program. When I left we had 12 guys benching 500 or more. I also took classes taught by Drs. Mike Stone and Jeff Landers who were running the U.S. weight training lab at Auburn.I have since coached state, regional and national champions in various high school sports and junior olympics using these same principles. Coach Yoxall uses a different approach emphasizing Olympic style lifting techniques. In fact he stated when he arrived that he didn't stress things such as bench press.I disagree with him but it's all a matter of philosophy. I said all of that to preface the fact that I will be glad to share my :au: lifting program but it will NOT be what they currently offer. No matter what you decide GO FOR IT AND GOD BLESS YOUR EFFORTS.

:au: I did a graduate internship, during Coach Dye's heyday, with the strength and conditioning program. When I left we had 12 guys benching 500 or more. I also took classes taught by Drs. Mike Stone and Jeff Landers who were running the U.S. weight training lab at Auburn.I have since coached state, regional and national champions in various high school sports and junior olympics using these same principles. Coach Yoxall uses a different approach emphasizing Olympic style lifting techniques. In fact he stated when he arrived that he didn't stress things such as bench press.I disagree with him but it's all a matter of philosophy. I said all of that to preface the fact that I will be glad to share my  :au:   lifting program but it will NOT be what they currently offer. No matter what you decide GO FOR IT AND GOD BLESS YOUR EFFORTS.

210191[/snapback]

So share...share!!! :)

:au::homer:

Yes, please share. I'm interested in knowing the program used under Dye.

I've heard some different philosophies that don't stress bench. I've never really understood them, because bench is one of your basic core exercises. I know that just because he doesn't stress bench doesn't mean they do not do it, but that just seems like a key exercise in order create seperation between you and the opponent. Do you know what he does emphasize?

I'd like to see it as well - my program is due for a change and it's always good to mix things up.

I had the opportunity to go through a two day seminar that Yoxall put on and as Deacon said, it's just a little different with regard to philosophy. It was about 3 years ago so I can't recall everything but with regards to bench, I do remember that they use it, but not in the same manner as others. They used a slightly different grip positioning to correlate more to the things they would do on the field.

One thing that really stuck out in my mind, was that Yoxall was adamantly opposed to doing things for time, like running the 40. His take was that most of the players on the field don't actually run a straight 40 in practice or the game and you were just asking for a pulled hammy. He seemed to gear his training toward the actual movements made on the field at each position.

Whether you agree with his philosophy or not, one of the things that was obvious. He was very serious about what he was doing and demanded his players do the same, which was a total 360 from the previous administration.

I will post the programs framework later today since there is interest.And yes bench press performed correctly with a shoulder width grip can be crucial to help with separation and extension used in o-line blocking technique and with hand shivers by pretty much all defensive players but especially lb's. I'm at work right now with students coming. :au:

I'm a member of a couple of body building message boards and remember seeing a program from USC on one of them...I'll do a search and see if I can't find it again...but like mentioned above it's more than lifting it's a total body program from aerobic movements, heavy weights, and resistance training....

I'm a member of a couple of body building message boards and remember seeing a program from USC on one of them...I'll do a search and see if I can't find it again...but like mentioned above it's more than lifting it's a total body program from aerobic movements, heavy weights, and resistance training....

210246[/snapback]

That sounds very good...even Arnold did the aerobic stuff.... :-) run with me if you want to live!!!

:au::homer:

:au: Here is the framework for the strength program during the heyday of Coach Dye and strength coach Paul White.( Auburn rivaled Nebraska for football strength. The late Harold Hallman was a monster with a 550 bench, not to mention a great young man.) Remember this is a Readers Digest version.

Phase 1 (muscle growth/hypertrophy):Sets of 15 done for 6 wks.

warm-up set(s) then 3 sets per exercise and 3 exercises per body part-total of 9

(Trust the number of sets. Too many people overtrain!!!)

Phase 2 (hypertrophy/strength transition):Sets of 10 done for 4 wks.

Phase 3 (strength):Sets of 8 done for 4 wks.

Phase 4 (true strength):Sets of 6 for 3 wks.

Phase 5 MAX TEST for 1 wk.

Phase 6 week off

Begin again.

For football we were on a 4 day a week schedule. For reg. fitness I prefer 6 days with shoulders/arms on T/Th and legs solo on W/Sat.

MON./THURS.:Chest/back/shoulders-TUES./FRI.:Legs/triceps/biceps

KEYS-Second half of week done at 75%[A MUST]

Change one of the 3 exercises per body part during Phs. 1,2,3

I totally agree with the concept Yoxall uses concerning grip width to mimic actual football movement. I just believe that bench/lat pulls/squats are the three cores for max strength in football. If you are trying to walk/jog/elliptical train/etc. for weight lose don't over do it. The exercise rate that best burns fat is actually lower than the cardio training rate. Heart Rate formula for fat burning:220 -age x .75. Hope this helps and WAR EAGLE. Let me know if I can help with more specifics.

SAMPLE ROUTINE:

Chest-bench/incline dumbell press/horizontal press machine

Back-lat pulldowns/dumbell rows/lat pullovers

Shoulders-front press(bar,dumbell,or machine)/shrugs;which, by the way, are done in sets of 25 because the trapezius' are high rep muscles similar to calves/frnt,side,rear delt raises done as a giant set

Arms-superset straight bar curls with elbows locked by your side and nosebreakers/single arm dumbells from a Scott bench and pushdowns

Legs-SQUATS! to parallel/single leg extensions/single leg hamstring curls/standing calf raises

2/3 mins. rest between sets.This allows for the bloodstream to remove lactic acid which interferes with intramuscular oxygen uptake. It is the lactic acid build-up that causes muscle fatigue.

Here's one of the older posts I found...It mainly deals with lifting and not much of the explosiveness training...

Work out for max bench press.

this cycle is based on a lifter whose max is 300lbs.

**(ex. your max divided by 300 equal your percentage that you use to multiply your poundage's)

Week 1/Day 1

Bench Press 45*10; 95*5; 135*3; 185*1; 200*5

Day 2

Close-Grip Bench Press 45*10; 95/5; 135/3; 185/1; 180/5

Week 2/Day 1

Bench Press 45*10; 95*5; 135*3; 185*1; 210*5

Day 2

Close-Grip Bench Press 45*10; 95/5; 135/3; 185/1; 190/5

Week 3/Day 1

Bench Press 45*10; 95*5; 135*3; 185*1; 220*5

Day 2

Close-Grip Bench Press 45*10; 95/5; 135/3; 185/1; 200/5

Week 4/Day 1

Bench Press 45*10; 95*5; 135*3; 185*1; 230*3

Day 2

Close-Grip Bench Press 45*10; 95/5; 135/3; 185/1; 210/3

Week 5/Day 1

Bench Press 45*10; 95*5; 135*3; 185*1; 240*3

Day 2

Close-Grip Bench Press 45*10; 95/5; 135/3; 185/1; 220/3

Week 6/Day 1

Bench Press 45*10; 95*5; 135*3; 185*1; 225*1; 250*3

Day 2

Close-Grip Bench Press 45*10; 95/5; 135/3; 185/1; 225/1; 230/3

Week 7/Day 1

Bench Press 45*10; 95*5; 135*3; 185*1; 225*1; 260*2

Day 2

Close-Grip Bench Press 45*10; 95/5; 135/3; 185/1; 225/1; 240/2

Week 8/Day 1

Bench Press 45*10; 95*5; 135*3; 185*1; 225*1; 270*2

Day 2

Close-Grip Bench Press 45*10; 95/5; 135/3; 185/1; 225/1; 240/2

Week 9/Day 1

(no assistance work wks 9 & 10)

Bench Press 45*10; 95*5; 135*3; 185*1; 225*1; 255/1; (w/ bp shirt)290*1

Day 2

Bench Press (contest grip) 45*10; 95/5; 135/3; 185/1; 225/1; 255/1; 300/1

Week 10/Day 1

Bench Press (contest grip) 45*10; 95*5; 135*3; 185*1; 225*1; 255/1; (w/ bp shirt)310*1

Day 2

Rest for Contest

Assistance Exercises

Day 1

Weighted Push-ups 5*5 for the first 4 weeks; 5*3 for the next four

Decline Press 3*8 for the first four weeks; 3*5 for the next four weeks

Seated Dumbbell Press 2*12 for the first four weeks; 2*10 for the next two weeks; 2*8 for the next two weeks; 2*6 for the next two weeks

Front Delt Plate Raise 2*12 for the first two weeks; 2*10 for the next two weeks; 2*8 for the next two weeks; 2*6 for the next two weeks Day 2 Decline Press 3*5 for the first 4 weeks; 3*3 for the next four weeks

Incline Press 3*6

One-Arm Tricep Press 2*10

Contest Warmups

45/10; 95/5; 135/3; 185/1; 225/1; 255/1

Contest Attempts

1st 285

2nd 305

Final 315

If you can bear to use anything affiliated with Alabama I can probably get a schedule from my cousin...he's an Alabama committment and I believe they give their committments a basic routine to work on over the summer... but that's probably after they sign

:au: Here is the framework for the strength program during the heyday of Coach Dye and strength coach Paul White.( Auburn rivaled Nebraska for football strength. The late Harold Hallman was a monster with a 550 bench, not to mention a great young man.) Remember this is a Readers Digest version.

Phase 1 (muscle growth/hypertrophy):Sets of 15 done for 6 wks.

warm-up set(s) then 3 sets per exercise and 3 exercises per body part-total of 9

(Trust the number of sets. Too many people overtrain!!!)

Phase 2 (hypertrophy/strength transition):Sets of 10 done for 4 wks.

Phase 3 (strength):Sets of 8 done for 4 wks.

Phase 4 (true strength):Sets of 6 for 3 wks.

Phase 5 MAX TEST for 1 wk.

Phase 6 week off

Begin again.

For football we were on a 4 day a week schedule. For reg. fitness I prefer 6 days with shoulders/arms on T/Th and legs solo on W/Sat.

MON./THURS.:Chest/back/shoulders-TUES./FRI.:Legs/triceps/biceps

KEYS-Second half of week done at 75%[A MUST]

Change one of the 3 exercises per body part during Phs. 1,2,3

I totally agree with the concept Yoxall uses concerning grip width to mimic actual football movement. I just believe that bench/lat pulls/squats are the three cores for max strength in football. If you are trying to walk/jog/elliptical train/etc. for weight lose don't over do it. The exercise rate that best burns fat is actually lower than the cardio training rate. Heart Rate formula for fat burning:220 -age x .75. Hope this helps and WAR EAGLE. Let me know if I can help with more specifics.

210415[/snapback]

You left out that crazy neck machine they used to make us do. Coach White's system worked. I was only 6'2" 205lbs and I was squating over 500lbs. My bench wasn't great (315lbs) but I have long arms.

I would not do this workout now. It is a super intense program designed to gain bulk and strength. As adults we should look for lower impact workouts.

Archived