McElroy verbals to Tide

tiger42

I heard he "verbaled" because he can't read or write!  They'll probably redshirt him so they can teach him the alphabet! - then let him tutor the others!!  :P

212753[/snapback]

Another reason he's appealing as a recruiting: over 1300 on the SATs.

aupcolatiger

Would you say that he probably played against better talent in 5A (same as 6A here) in Dallas as Neil Caudle did in Bham?

212897[/snapback]

there's really no way to compare that. I don't know anything about high school football in texas other than its HUGE...lol. Officials are paid well there too... :angry::angry: With Texas being so big and divided into regions like they are, even at the 5A classification there is no guarantee that his team played in a competitive area... Do you know anything about the records of the teams they played. Those numbers are certainly HUGE, no doubt... I guess what i'm saying is, the level of competition is subjective, and there is no way to know, and the state champion of 5A or 6A or maybe even 4A in Alabama may very well beat this team....A state champion in Florida or Georgia may as well...on the other hand...his team may just blow them all out....there is really no way to know...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They very well may have played in a poor talent region...but they still had to win 6 games in the playoffs to attain the state title. And all the teams in the 64 team playoff are district winners. So i dont see where there is any question as to whether or not he played against good competition.

Its not like there are 6 or 7 different 5A tournaments. There are two. Class I (smaller divisional tournament of 32 games of weaker teams) and Class II that Southlake Won.

Katy was 14-1 heading into the state championship game and got beat 34-20 by southlake.

N. Caudle's NEW School-28 (Not to mention FOUR in a row and a THUMB on the way!) :au:

McElroy's NEW "school".-18

:D:poke:

They very well may have played in a poor talent region...but they still had to win 6 games in the playoffs to attain the state title. And all the teams in the 64 team playoff are district winners. So i dont see where there is any question as to whether or not he played against good competition.

Its not like there are 6 or 7 different 5A tournaments. There are two. Class I (smaller divisional tournament of 32 games of weaker teams) and Class II that Southlake Won.

Katy was 14-1 heading into the state championship game and got beat 34-20 by southlake.

212934[/snapback]

ok, BG....i seem to have way to much time on my hands....LOL.... here's their opponents won-loss records

Lee 4-7

coppell 5-5

PLANO east 6-6

fossill ridge 6-5

heritage 6-4

Haltom 5-5

Ryan 7-4

keller 3-7

Grapevine 6-4

Richland 1-9

MacArthur 9-2

Allen 9-3

Abilene 12-1

Plano 13-1

Lufkin 15-1

Katy 14-1

totals: 121-65

Average record of 7-4

this tells me that getting into the playoffs wasn't that big a deal considering their early season slate....but looks like they played some solid teams at the end...and gave these teams their only loss.... the 7-4 average record is INCLUDING their playoff games.. would be pretty Average or worse without the playoff teams factored in...

212934[/snapback]

ok, BG....i seem to have way to much time on my hands....LOL.... here's their opponents won-loss records

Lee 4-7

coppell 5-5

PLANO east 6-6

fossill ridge 6-5

heritage 6-4

Haltom 5-5

Ryan 7-4

keller 3-7

Grapevine 6-4

Richland 1-9

MacArthur 9-2

Allen 9-3

Abilene 12-1

Plano 13-1

Lufkin 15-1

Katy 14-1

totals: 121-65

Average record of 7-4

this tells me that getting into the playoffs wasn't that big a deal considering their early season slate....but looks like they played some solid teams at the end...and gave these teams their only loss.... the 7-4 average record is INCLUDING their playoff games.. would be pretty Average or worse without the playoff teams factored in...

212959[/snapback]

So if you play in a mid major conf in basketball...but beat Duke, UNC, Kentucky, and Illinois in the tournament...to win the title...wouldnt you say you earned it?

Interestingly enough i looked at the combined record of the teams AU beat this year (giving WKU a 2-9 record had they played D1) and it was 43-47. 20 of those wins coming from LSU and Alabama

Bottom line: They may have played average district talent...but if they were an average team it would have come out in the tourney. They didnt get lucky six straight times.

no doubt..teams rarely if ever get lucky 6 times...i totally agree...no doubt this team was good...

hey, bg, do you know what kind of rushing numbers this team had through out the season?? I'd be curious to see how their running game compares to his stats...I mean, it seems like he threw the ball a ton.... just curious.

Nate Newton's son is their starting RB and is a soph...he ran for 1400 yards and McElroy ran for over 700.

213082[/snapback]

sounds like a pretty balanced offense to me...

Well in all honesty their offense WAS geared towards passing. If you watch his video...their O resembles the texas tech offense a good bit. So Im sure those schemes helped him pad his stats a little.

His first playoff game though:

278 yards passing

4 Thrown TDs

1 Run TD

In the first half :D

Id still say he has something yet to prove as he only has one year of starting QB under his belt.

I don't argue with the idea that McElroy can be a good college QB. Unfortunately for him, Bama needs to sign a good offensive coordinator (and Flipper needs to let him have the reins) more than they needed to sign another QB.

I don't argue with the idea that McElroy can be a good college QB.  Unfortunately for him, Bama needs to sign a good offensive coordinator (and Flipper needs to let him have the reins) more than they needed to sign another QB.

213156[/snapback]

An offensive linemen, or two or three or four, that knows even the basics of blocking couldn't hurt either. ;)

Archived