McElroy verbals to Tide

tiger42

I wonder how much of a spike this will give them nationaly.With this and there certain acquiring of Smith ,We,ll have to get deas ,whitehead ,hawthorne and ,ricks to break even

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wonder how much of a spike this will give them nationaly.With this and there certain acquiring of Smith ,We,ll have to get  deas ,whitehead ,hawthorne and ,ricks to break even

212178[/snapback]

Games aren't won in February. Don't worry so much.

Remember, they still have Shula coaching them and players who show interest in either Alabama or LSU are bumped a minimum of one star. When they look in other directions, the rankings drop.

Actually, McElroy is only a 3 star since he only started his senior year. So he wont jack up our ratings very much.

But he was:

Texas 5A Player of the year

Texas 5A First Team all State

Texas State champion

#2 team in the nation per usa today

4600 yards passing

700 rushing

56 TDs passing

10 Ints

So he looks to be pretty good. But still kind of a question mark thanks to only starting one year.

Actually, McElroy is only a 3 star since he only started his senior year. So he wont jack up our ratings very much.

But he was:

Texas State champion

4600 yards passing

700 rushing

56 TDs passing

10 Ints

So he looks to be pretty good. But still kind of a question mark thanks to only starting one year.

212187[/snapback]

Recruiting talk is nothing but hot air. Yeah some highly recruited kids do well. Just as many don't. It's not a science.

I went back and looked at some of the recruiting lists from 2002. All these names with four and five stars beside them that I've never heard of.

Then there's Courtney Tayor with his one little star sitting there. Nobody wanted him, nobody had ever heard of him. There's not an SEC team out there that wouldn't take him now.

Coaching, desire, attitude, determination... all play a huge part in it. Can't see that from film.

I just don't get upset about recruiting. As long as you're getting players who fit your system in both physical skill and mental attitude, a good coaching staff will make it work.

BG, wanna bet he is a four star in a week? If trends continue, ala Carnell Wiliams, then he will suddenly rise up in the ratings.

But he was:

Texas State champion

4600 yards passing

700 rushing

56 TDs passing

10 Ints

212187[/snapback]

I was just wondering where BG got the stats from. Not picking but these are different. :D

BG, wanna bet he is a four star in a week? If trends continue, ala Carnell Wiliams, then he will suddenly rise up in the ratings.

212198[/snapback]

Please dont give me that rankings conspiracy junk. Rivals updates their recruits as the year goes on MUCH more than Scout does. Shula has proven to be a much better talent evaluator than the recruiting sites/gurus...as evidenced by the fact that we offer some of these guys before they are anybody...and even the ones we dont get end up seeing their rankings skyrocket.

Recardo Wright is a good example. He's from florida and wanted an FSU offer. He verballed to bama and had an awesome senior year...his stock has shot up and will probably get his 4th star. And he got an FSU offer the other day.

I can name 10 guys like that from recent years.

McElroy may get a 4th star. But it wont be because he verballed with bama. It will be based on the fact that he TORE IT UP this year...postseason included...and the only real film people have had to evaluate came from this year.

John Parker Wilson went from 4 star to 3 star even though he was a parade all american btw.

But based on that kids stats and the fact that he plays in the highest division of talent in texas football and was on the #2 ranked team in the nation....id say he deserves a high ranking.

david you should check out his film on that preps page...he's got skill

AUgrad...

those states are from the regular season. in his division they play shorter regular seasons and have a 6 game post season tournament (assuming you make the championsip

Here's a link on rivals.com that shows his whole season's stats (scroll to the bottom)

http://alabama.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp...=1&pr_key=36268

AUgrad...

those states are from the regular season. in his division they play shorter regular seasons and have a 6 game post season tournament (assuming you make the championsip

Here's a link on rivals.com that shows his whole season's stats (scroll to the bottom)

http://alabama.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp...=1&pr_key=36268

212211[/snapback]

Alright, was just wondering. That's a funky playoff system!

brodie croyle was one of the best rated qbs in the nation... i hope bama gets someone just like him. i could care less if bama continues the tradition of signing top notch qbs; all it means is auburn gets to knock down the latest "savior."

galens points are right on target.

i feel tt is bringing in the right talent for the job. he his looking for fast, athletic individuals with strong desires to exceed in the classroom, the field and whose character is sound.

i'm pretty sure tuberville and staff are not sitting behind the cpu like me concerned about stars given to players by rivals and other recuriting sites.

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/birmingh...1140.xml&coll=2

On Tuesday, McElroy, ranked the 11th-best pro-style passing quarterback in the nation by Rivals.com, committed to the University of Alabama. He said he was going to Texas Tech until Alabama played Tech in the Jan. 1 Cotton Bowl game in Dallas, when Tide offensive coordinator Dave Rader invited him to a team practice, rekindling the school's interest that began at a summer camp in Tuscaloosa.

"My mom grew up a big Alabama fan in Florida, so I grew up watching Alabama football," said McElroy. "After the Cotton Bowl, Alabama offered me a scholarship."

Congratulations to Bama for apparently landing their third choice as QB. Guess that's better than a fifth choice coach...

This is the first reference I've seen to his Mom being a Bama fan. Has that mentioned before and I missed it?

So let's see:

First Tebow was a lock for them...

Then he goes Gator and for a while "they don't need no QB" in this class...

Then Mustain is their choice and better than Tebow, but then he recommits to the Razerbacks...

Now that they've got McElroy, I'm sure we'll hear how much better he is than Tebow or Mustain and who they really needed all along...

I wish the young man all the best for his sake. Hope he has the most sparkling career you can have while playing for a losing team. Two Heisman trophies in a row, huh? First Ru Paul Wilson, then McElroy.. :rolleyes:

[if this should be in the recruiting forum, I apologize and encourage the mods to move it there.]

It is all about coaching and what you do with the kid after you get them on campus. In that area, AU wins hands down. (Or should I say "Thumbs Up"? :au:

McElroy was offered before Mustain. CMS did not contact Mustain. Mustain's mother contacted him. Not trying to start a flame........just the facts. If your gonna make fun of us....make fun of us with the facts straight. Thank you

McElroy was offered before Mustain. CMS did not contact Mustain. Mustain's mother contacted him. Not trying to start a flame........just the facts. If your gonna make fun of us....make fun of us with the facts straight. Thank you

212338[/snapback]

I stand corrected as far as what Shula actually did. But mostly I was referring to the Bama fans I've heard from, who clearly went Tebow...Mustain...McElroy in their heads. But maybe that's just my particular circle of Bama fans.

I don't feel flamed and hope you don't. ;)

212338[/snapback]

Hello BamaDelta :poke:

No I don't feel flamed either. Thank you for your respectful response. McElroy was a kind of waiting in the wings kinda of thing just in case we lost Tebow. Shula had already told him that he would be offered if Tebow went to Florida. So actually McElroy was second choice. I don't know what Mustain was thinking....I think he was just trying to scare Arkansas and get publicity. However, Shula never really "went after him hot and heavy".

The official mantra from Bama fans will now be "We will be much better off without Tebow or Mustain, McElroy is the ONE!" "McElroy will be better than Brodie Croyle and Tyler Watts combined!"

Thank you for your respectful response.

212344[/snapback]

Much more respectful than he would have received at a Bammer site, wouldn't you say?

Welcome to the board Delta. :big:

Wait...but I thought they didn't really NEED or WANT a QB...they jsut went after Tebow because he was the best?...at least that's what everyone said when they didn't get him and then lost Smelly!!! JPW was going to be great and , and and... :poke:

McElroy is going to win 3 Heisman's and lead the Tahd to 3 MNC's. He's the real deal. John Wilkes Booth is already looking at transferring because he can never expect to compete with McElroy.

No I don't feel flamed either. Thank you for your respectful response. McElroy was a kind of waiting in the wings kinda of thing just in case we lost Tebow. Shula had already told him that he would be offered if Tebow went to Florida. So  actually McElroy was second choice. I don't know what Mustain was thinking....I think he was just trying to scare Arkansas and get publicity. However, Shula never really "went after him hot and heavy".

212344[/snapback]

Why would bama offer a scholarship to a player they did not really want?

Mustain - Scout

Does any of this really matter? As has already been stated, James Earl Jones is the MAN @ uat! :lol::lol::lol:

at least that's what everyone said when they didn't get him and then lost Smelly!!!

Point of clarification: Smelley was never offered so we did not "lose out" on him. He was insistent on playing baseball in college and Shula didnt want a QB doing football and baseball.

Archived