Terry Bowden..

quietfan

Not sure whether to laugh or vomit:

http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/in...ll=2&thispage=3

Most [recruiting] analysts have no playing experience beyond high school. Rivals.com editor Bobby Burton worked as an undergraduate video assistant at Texas and a graduate recruiting assistant at Houston.

Wallace was a lawyer for eight years. Newberg, who aspires to become an NFL scout, entered the field after majoring in psychology and sociology in college.

"You don't have to have played," ABC Sports broadcaster and former Auburn head coach Terry Bowden said. "If you're a legitimate recruiting guy, you can learn how to see talent."

Bowden believes the rankings are credible to a degree because many analysts rely heavily on college recruiting coordinators.

"I'm not sure colleges recruit the guys that analysts rank. I think they rank the guys colleges are recruiting," Bowden said. "They (recruiting services) have a difficult relationship with recruiting coordinators. If you get too close to a coordinator, he's not going to give you information unless you rank his player high."

Bowden said he was leery of analysts when coaching but learned quickly at Auburn to "play the game and take it seriously. You may be happy with the people you recruit, but you don't want to get a reputation of never being ranked by analysts."

Somehow it's really hard to see TB as an authority to quote on the ins and outs of the recruiting game...

The thing I will always remember about CTB's recruiting is him saying that James Johnson (the :msu: RB that ran over everybody in the SEC) didn't fit in his style of offense. JJ was a big AU fan and would have signed in a heartbeat...not sure if CTB thought he was too fast, too big, too strong or what?! <_<

I'll never forget him running one of the best recruiters in the business (Rodney Garner) off from his alma mater. Tater tot just needs to keep his mouth shut about recruiting. Do you remember what CTT said in his press conference when he took the job? "We will have a good team here, but we will need some time, there is not a lot of talent here now."

Saying Buster Brown knows recruiting is like saying the Old Woman in the Shoe is a virgin. It is just a lie! No other way to say it!

Terry didn't want to sign a RB or WR that was taller than him.

216255[/snapback]

i 'bout spit my coke all over my computer. :P clifton robinson and markeith cooper come to mind. i think robert baker may have been taller than ole Terry, but he sold drugs didn't he? oh, well.

Saying Buster Brown knows recruiting is like saying the Old Woman in the Shoe is a virgin.  It is just a lie!  No other way to say it!

216296[/snapback]

:roflol::roflol::roflol: Does the old woman in the shoe live in Pennsacola?

tater tot put all his eggs in one basket with Demontray Carter????????????????????

so he knows nothing about recruiting........................or anything

This should help us appreciate what CTT has done even more. Everybody knows CTB was a horrible recruiter. Only players he would sign would be his daddy's rejects. If Daddy Bowden didn't want them, its likely because their arrest record wasn't long enough yet.

Tuberville is not only recruiting great players, but players that are good people, and excel in the classroom. Very important to remember that of our 14 seniors on this last team, that 12 of them had their degrees before the bowl game, and i believe we were second in the country with the number of players that had their degree BEFORE the season even started. I think it was at 8.... That is how you recuit players... Bowden knew nothing of recruiting...not sure why he's decided he's such an authority..

markeith cooper

216310[/snapback]

Don't be dissing on the Lizard!!! :D

markeith cooper

216310[/snapback]

Don't be dissing on the Lizard!!! :D

216583[/snapback]

no dissing the Lizard. i had a couple classes with him. he was a nice guy. just pointing out he wasn't the tallest of fellows. :big: Jimmy Brumbaugh was cool too.

Tot was a paradox. I think he was a terrific game day coach, and as long as he had Pat Dye's talent, he showed it. However, he was truly one of the worst recruiters I've ever seen. Not only did he religiously fail to land recruits kind of considering AU, but he chased off some players that grew up AU fans (of course Bahr did that w/ Bo too). Fulmer has proven college football is mostly who you recruit (Phill can't coach his way out of a paper bag, but he's a proven recruiter...opposite of Tot...and UT, 2005 notwithstanding, is almost always a contender).

Tot was a paradox. I think he was a terrific game day coach, and as long as he had Pat Dye's talent, he showed it. However, he was truly one of the worst recruiters I've ever seen. Not only did he religiously fail to land recruits kind of considering AU, but he chased off some players that grew up AU fans (of course Bahr did that w/ Bo too). Fulmer has proven college football is mostly who you recruit (Phill can't coach his way out of a paper bag, but he's a proven recruiter...opposite of Tot...and UT, 2005 notwithstanding, is almost always a contender).

216915[/snapback]

CTB saying he is a Recruiting expert is like DKW calling himself a fitness expert.

Terry didn't want to sign a RB or WR that was taller than him.

216255[/snapback]

i 'bout spit my coke all over my computer. :P clifton robinson and markeith cooper come to mind. i think robert baker may have been taller than ole Terry, but he sold drugs didn't he? oh, well.

216310[/snapback]

ugabitingauburnphoto.jpg

Yea, I always thought UGA missed his calling. He should have been a drug sniffing dog.

Archived