Bama coaching changes

Tigermike

I have heard Bama fans on Birmingham radio (Finebaum & WJOX) rant and rave about Gibbs leaving AU for the NFL. They don't care that he is leaving, but only try to use the situation to slam Auburn. Their logic says it is dishonest to hide that fact from recruits.

Now it comes out that the University of Alabama has hired Vanderbilt's recruiting coordinator. How long have those negations been going on? How much was Vanderbilt's recruiting hindered because he was leaving for Tuscaloosa?

Defensive line coach and recruiting coordinator David Turner is headed to the University of Alabama.

According to sources, Turner held a meeting with his defensive line today and informed them that Monday would be his last day at Vanderbilt.

Turner has been at Vanderbilt since the 2002 season. The 20 year coaching veteran previously coached at Minnesota, Virginia, North Carolina State, Kentucky, James Madison and Davidson.

http://vanderbilt.scout.com/

I have heard Bama fans on Birmingham radio (Finebaum & WJOX) rant and rave about Gibbs leaving AU for the NFL.  They don't care that he is leaving, but only try to use the situation to slam Auburn.  Their logic says it is dishonest to hide that fact from recruits.

Now it comes out that the University of Alabama has hired Vanderbilt's recruiting coordinator.  How long have those negations been going on?  How much was Vanderbilt's recruiting hindered because he was leaving for Tuscaloosa?

Defensive line coach and recruiting coordinator David Turner is headed to the University of Alabama.

According to sources, Turner held a meeting with his defensive line today and informed them that Monday would be his last day at Vanderbilt.

Turner has been at Vanderbilt since the 2002 season. The 20 year coaching veteran previously coached at Minnesota, Virginia, North Carolina State, Kentucky, James Madison and Davidson.

http://vanderbilt.scout.com/

217410[/snapback]

Come now this is bammer they have been dishonest for years recruits just come to expect that. :poke:

Honestly, Gibbs from what i understand was involved very little in recruiting. While it would be misleading to have a kid come in solely on that ground but I guess if they don't like the new coach then they will transfer. You can rest assured that bammer was talking to the RC from Vandy for longer than 24 hours before hiring him.

Heck, they ought to be hoping, wishing, and praying that they were changing offensive coordinators!

[...oops--that would actually mean they're changing head coaches. And that won't happen until after next year's Iron Bowl. :big: ]

Those guys are trying to grab onto anything they can to make us look bad. Another indication that the power shift is complete.

I don't think it matters much to the recruits anyway. Last year Tray Blackmon was asked how he felt about going into a situation with a new DC. He said it didn't matter to him because Joe Whitt had been there for 24 years. I think most of them feel this way. Overall, AU has a very stable coaching staff.

As long as Tubs is head coach, :au: will be strong on defense no matter what.

Uhhh our defensive ends coach left to be the DC at rice in the beginning of Jan. So its not like we had to be deceptive or whatever...since it was common knowledge that he left. Peanut even commented on it in an article.

And this guy wont be the recruiting coordinator at bama. Randy Ross still is.

Nice try though.

http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/ks...2480.xml&coll=2

Signing day comes and goes. Then and only then does the Auburn defensive coordinator leave to take another job as the secondary coach of the Kansas City Chiefs.

The timing sounds curious, if not suspicious, doesn't it?

Not to Charles Henderson High School head coach Hugh Fountain. One of his players, cornerback Zaccheus Etheridge, was the only defensive back who signed with Auburn.

David Gibbs, in addition to coordinating Auburn's defense for the last year, also coached the defensive backs.

Did Etheridge know, before he signed Wednesday with the Tigers, there was a chance that Gibbs might leave?

"I think he knew that was a possibility," Fountain said Thursday. "I don't think that has any bearing on him. As far as Zaccheus is concerned, he's going to Auburn to play for Tommy Tuberville and Auburn."

In Fountain's words, "I think Auburn was straightforward with us about everything."

Fountain said Auburn was "up front and honest" in its recruitment of Etheridge. Gibbs made an in-home visit in December, but among the Auburn assistants, Steve Ensminger was the primary recruiter.

According to Fountain, Auburn told Etheridge he was the only defensive back the school was recruiting. Other schools told Etheridge that was a lie, but Auburn didn't sign any other players at that position.

OK. Maybe so. But Etheridge committed to Auburn last August. He was sold on the school long before the defense gave up a trillion yards in the Capital One Bowl and Gibbs didn't show up for postgame interviews and questions popped up about the defensive coordinator's future in the Loveliest Village.

What about a recruit who didn't choose Auburn until the last week? What about, say, linebacker Craig Stevens of Tallahassee's Lincoln High School?

"Yes," Lincoln High coach Kyle Rice said Thursday. "He was aware."

Did Rice have any problems with Gibbs leaving Auburn right after signing day? "If my kids are happy," the coach said, "I'm happy."

Is Stevens happy? "He's ecstatic," Rice said. "He's very happy to be an Auburn Tiger."

Guess it's just hard for some folks to accept that other people might be honest and up front if they've never tried it themselves.

Uhhh our defensive ends coach left to be the DC at rice in the beginning of Jan. So its not like we had to be deceptive or whatever...since it was common knowledge that he left. Peanut even commented on it in an article.

Nice try though.

217454[/snapback]

I thought you were smarter than that BG. Go back and read my original post. Bama & Vanderbilt did keep this hire quiet. But that is not the point of the original post was. It is the hypocritical thinking process of the vast majority of Bamma fans.

Nice try though.

Your premise is flawed.

Bama fans were ragging on AU for convienently announcing Gibbs leaving juuuust after all the signatures had dried. Whether or not that was shady or not...i dont know. Dont really care since Gibbs doesnt recruit much anyway.

Now you are saying this is the same thing? How is that?

1. We didnt keep anything quiet. It was common knowledge everywhere (this board included) that we were going after Brick Haley at MSU. Now, if everybody on WEN knew it, wouldnt you think recruits knew it? We didnt announce yesterday that we were losing a coach...we did a month ago.

2. When the Brick Haley thing didnt happen, they pursued other options one being Turner. But the Brick Haley thing didnt officially fall through until last week.

How in the world is that hypocritical? How is it even the same?

Bama fans suggest that maybe AU didnt tell recruits Gibbs was leaving (supported by the fact that it was announced the day after signing day)

Bama announces they lost their DE coach 4 weeks before signing day.

FYI, lots of people knew Gibbs was leaving. There are published articles of several recruits saying they knew about it but it didn't matter to them.

Did bama tell the recruits one of their caoaches was coming from ......Vandy :big:

And did you tell them Rader is retiring and they will have a new OC? :poke:

And now if Coach Whitt decides to retire the bammers will say we were deceptive because he was very active in recruiting.

Nice try though.

217454[/snapback]

BG, I think the point was this claim was as much of a non issue as Gibbs leaving is. If you look on the page 2 of the AU commitment list on rivals you'll see not one was recruited by Gibbs. If him leaving was such a big deal don't you think one of the recruits would come out and say something about it? I mean the kids have more press conferences than CTT anyway.

Guys why do we even care?? Its just UAT. Why cant we discuss our newest crop of tigers, instead of having all these UAT threads? Who cares what UAT does?? I sure don't. Even during the off-season there are better things to talk about...

Guys why do we even care??  Its just UAT.  Why cant we discuss our newest  crop of tigers, instead of having all these UAT threads?  Who cares what UAT does?? I sure don't.  Even during the off-season there are better things to talk about...

217547[/snapback]

I second that! :cheer:

Guys why do we even care??  Its just UAT.  Why cant we discuss our newest  crop of tigers, instead of having all these UAT threads?  Who cares what UAT does?? I sure don't.  Even during the off-season there are better things to talk about...

217547[/snapback]

My friend in the sunshine state is correct...Who cares? We O W N uat. :au:

Let's talk about the Auburn Tigers ! ! ! :cheer:

All I have seen over the last few days is Alabama doing and saying anything that they can to try and make Auburn look bad. They paid this guy to commit, they lied to this guy to commit, they held this guy at gunpoint to commit.

According to Alabama fans there isn't a single decent recruit in the nation that would want to play for Auburn.

Your premise is flawed.

Bama fans were ragging on AU for convienently announcing Gibbs leaving juuuust after all the signatures had dried. Whether or not that was shady or not...i dont know. Dont really care since Gibbs doesnt recruit much anyway.

1. We didnt keep anything quiet. It was common knowledge everywhere (this board included) that we were going after Brick Haley at MSU. Now, if everybody on WEN knew it, wouldnt you think recruits knew it? We didnt announce yesterday that we were losing a coach...we did a month ago.

2. When the Brick Haley thing didnt happen, they pursued other options one being Turner. But the Brick Haley thing didnt officially fall through until last week.

Bama fans suggest that maybe AU didnt tell recruits Gibbs was leaving (supported by the fact that it was announced the day after signing day)

217543[/snapback]

Once again BG you use Bammer Logic - if Bammer does it, it is fine & OK, if AUBURN does it, slam them at every opportunity. Then defend Bammer unwaveringly. Did you guys get that strategy from the democrats?

Your premise is flawed.

217543[/snapback]

Once again BG you use Bammer Logic - if Bammer does it, it is fine & OK, if AUBURN does it, slam them at every opportunity. Then defend Bammer unwaveringly. Did you guys get that strategy from the democrats?

217591[/snapback]

Somebody should change his picture to the "Hat Man" one so he can be reminded of Bama's hypocrisy every time he posts. ;)

Why do you continue to accuse me of being hypocritical without addressing my points.

Please tell me how the two situations were the same.

Please tell me how alabama HID the fact that they were going to hire a DE coach.

You are comparing apples and cheeseburgers...and trying to suggest that Im the one who doesnt understand.

And judging from the fact that the only response you have after my last one was Galen's token, and very predictable, anti bama smack...that had not substance at all. :P

bg, Why not just go with the typical :"twerelve nashunal champiunship" remark. :moon:

p.s. FEAR the THUMB ! ! ! :D:au:

All I have seen over the last few days is Alabama doing and saying anything that they can to try and make Auburn look bad.  They paid this guy to commit, they lied to this guy to commit, they held this guy at gunpoint to commit.

According to Alabama fans there isn't a single decent recruit in the nation that would want to play for Auburn.

217580[/snapback]

You are right...and yet...."The RICH :au: just keep on gettin' RICHER ! ! !"

WDE ! ! ! :au:

Guys, I think it all comes down to being scared. I mean, the reason why bammers are so critical on everything we do right now is because we have beaten them the past four years, and they dont see a end to that in sight. The hiring of Muschamp is scaring them to death. I mean I would be worried about their defense if they hired Muschamp because he is a good coach.

Bammers are doing the same thing that animals do when animals are scared, make themselves look bigger and badder than they really are, and defend themselves with aggressive action.

Why do you continue to accuse me of being hypocritical without addressing my points.

Please tell me how alabama HID the fact that they were going to hire a DE coach.

You are comparing apples and cheeseburgers...and trying to suggest that Im the one who doesnt understand.

And judging from the fact that the only response you have after my last one was Galen's token, and very predictable, anti bama smack...that had not substance at all. :P

217691[/snapback]

Auburn didn't hide this from recruits, they knew it was a possibility. Read the Scarbinsky article I posted earlier in the thread. He only cites two guys but why would you tell two and not all of the defensive players that Gibbs might be leaving.

217691[/snapback]

Mainly because you jumped in like Baghdad Bob to defend Bama and deflect the criticism of same.

Did Bama talk to David Turner before signing day? Did David Turner have a very good idea before signing day that he was leaving Vanderbilt to go to Bama?

Did Bama make it public before signing day that they were going to hire David Turner, the Vanderbilt recruiting coordinator?

You try to make the point that "they were going to hire a DE coach." It can also be said that everyone knew Auburn was going to hire a new DC when and if Gibbs left. The fact is Gibbs had not left when the Bammers started running their mouths on sports radio in the Birmingham area.(Finebaum & WJOX).

But when did Bama announce the hiring of the Vanderbilt recruiting coordinator (and it does not matter that he will not be the Bama recruiting coordinator)? Not juuuust after all the signatures had dried, no you waited an extra day.

You have said nothing to make me think this statement is not true.

Archived