Your Mom and Pop Take It On The Chin

LegalEagle

Today at 3:25 P.M. ET, Bush is scheduled to sign "The Deficit Reduction Act of 2005." Sounds great, no?

One of the changes is a little complex, but I'll try to explain briefly.

Currently if mom or pop goes to the nursing home and signs up for medicaid to cover the expense, any gift they may have given to their kids in the past 3 years is considered in determining mom's "penalty period." Say mom gave her kids $3,000 each 2 years and 10 months ago for Christmas. Now mom is broke. Well you add up the $3,000 x 3 kids and find that she gave away $9k. The monthly cost of nursing care is approx. $3k. Divide $9k by $3k and the penalty period is 3 months. You start at the date of the gift and go forward 3 months. Since that time has passed, there is no penalty and mom gets medicaid to cover nursing care.

Today's new law changes things. Now you go back 5 years instead of 3. The application of the penalty period is applied from the time mom goes into nursing home. Mom gave as before. Now the 3 month penalty period starts when she walks into the nursing home. Mom, who is broke now must pay $3k per month for three months prior to getting medicaid benefits. That means the kids pay (or the one decent kid pays) since mom has no $. If mom conveyed her house to the kids as a gift 4 yr. 6 mo. ago and it's value was $90k. She now has to pay an additional 30 months at $3k/mo prior to getting medicaid assistance.

It's a good thing the government is working to end estate taxes to protect the rich who die with more than $1million in their estates each.

Do you think this is right?

Well, I think the "bloody murder" was screamed when you look at the vote. This barely passed the Senate 51-50, with all Dems and 5 Reps voting against. In the House the vote was 216-214, with all Dems voting no, and 13 reps voting no.

Well, I think the "bloody murder" was screamed when you look at the vote.  This barely passed the Senate 51-50, with all Dems and 5 Reps voting against.  In the House the vote was 216-214, with all Dems voting no, and 13 reps voting no.

218881[/snapback]

Not exactly "bloody murder." We have all heard how loud and obnoxious the Dems can be about Bush and republican policies. I haven't heard a word from anyone on this before now.

I am not defending Bush or the republicans on this by any means. But, with the volume (in quantity and decibels) of complaints of the Left over just the last year one would think they could have mentioned this somewhere. After all, according to Jimmy Carter and gang at CSK's funeral, the Bush administration cares noting about the poor. Why didn't they just bring it up then. Lord knows it would have received coverage.

:headshake:

Well, I think the "bloody murder" was screamed when you look at the vote.  This barely passed the Senate 51-50, with all Dems and 5 Reps voting against.  In the House the vote was 216-214, with all Dems voting no, and 13 reps voting no.

218881[/snapback]

Not exactly "bloody murder." We have all heard how loud and obnoxious the Dems can be about Bush and republican policies. I haven't heard a word from anyone on this before now.

I am not defending Bush or the republicans on this by any means. But, with the volume (in quantity and decibels) of complaints of the Left over just the last year one would think they could have mentioned this somewhere. After all, according to Jimmy Carter and gang at CSK's funeral, the Bush administration cares noting about the poor. Why didn't they just bring it up then. Lord knows it would have received coverage.

:headshake:

218943[/snapback]

Seriously. I've heard volumes of Democrat freaking out...blame cast regarding Katrina, howls of protest about domestic spying, gnashing of teeth over the way the war is being handled, screams of agony over the tax cuts. But I haven't heard a peep from them about this.

BTW, did he sign it?

Yep, he signed it yesterday.

219058[/snapback]

Pays to know the rules and then use them wisely. Start giving your grandkids or children you stuff early so that you do not have this issue. Like you said it is currently 3 years now it will be five. Sounds to me like if the demons had an issue with this, they would have proposed a way to get rid of it all together. Oh wait, they usually propose nothing worthwhile. They just bitch about everything that other parties are doing. If republicans are now the party of the rich, then demoncrats are the party of the "bitch."

219058[/snapback]

Pays to know the rules and then use them wisely. Start giving your grandkids or children you stuff early so that you do not have this issue. Like you said it is currently 3 years now it will be five. Sounds to me like if the demons had an issue with this, they would have proposed a way to get rid of it all together. Oh wait, they usually propose nothing worthwhile. They just bitch about everything that other parties are doing. If republicans are now the party of the rich, then demoncrats are the party of the "bitch."

219063[/snapback]

Surprisingly, you did manage some complete sentences in your post.

219058[/snapback]

219063[/snapback]

Surprisingly, you did manage some complete sentences in your post.

219128[/snapback]

Unlike scum of the earth lawyers, I believe in the sword, not the pen. Therefore I waste only a few words at a time. Unlike most folks who love to see their words in print.

"Scum of the Earth lawyers?" 

Hey, I've gotten promoted!  :cheer:

Surely there's a pay raise involved?  :jump:

219352[/snapback]

Always is with you guys......... :rolleyes:

Archived