Eddie Gran

AUesquire

Just got back from church, where we hosted a Men's Night Out with Coach Eddie Gran and I have to report about a truly amazing evening. I have a new found respect for this man and this program after listening to him speak and having the opportunity to ask him several questions. His talk tonight was in two parts.

First, was his personal testimony, which centered around the loss of his daughter, Sydney. It was the first time he has spoken publically about this loss and it was obviously very tough at times for him to continue with his talk. Anyone who was not touched by what he said is either too far gone or they don't have a pulse.

He spoke of the three prayers that God answered at the time of her passing and how He reafirmed in the coming weeks that her death would continue to touch many lives and influence people in a wonderful way. The man is so secure and strong as he shared his faith and I highly recommend that you take advantage of any opportunity you may have to hear his story.

The second part was a question and answer about all things football. Some points that stuck with me:

When asked about our running back recruits, he said Ben Tate is a special young man in every way. Just turned 17, enrolled early, loved AU from the start and took the initiative to contact AU, not the other way around. Impressive athlete who really is 5'11 and 210. He said Mario Fannin was recruited as a RB and is about 215 lbs. He sounded VERY impressed with Fannin.

Carl Stewart is up to 222. McLaughlin is a stud at FB but needs to get better catching it out of the backfield.

Our group of tight ends will give us a much better deep threat than in the past. They can all run big time.

He said Tim Hawthorne has a good chance of contributing early. Called him a special talent. All the other WR recruits are big and fast. The group is a very impressive class.

When asked about our OOC schedule, the answer was surprising. He hollered, "Bring on Buffalo". He said he has no problem at all with some cupcakes on the schedule. "You have no idea how physical this league is. Kenny Irons was absolutely beat to death by the end of the season." He asked if anyone recalled LSU's OOC schedule in 2003. Pretty much the same bunch we played in 2004. he said that if we go 13-0, we WILL be playing for the championship.

He really sang the praises of Brandon Cox. He just beamed when he said this guy has two more years. :thumbsup:

NOW, I ASK EVERYONE TO PAY SPECIAL ATTENTION TO THIS NEXT BIT.

When talking about recruiting and competing with other schools he brought up a very interesting and profound point. He said that technology has advanced so much in recent years and he even text messaged 3 H.S. juniors on his way here. BUT, the worst thing in all of recruiting is the internet and all these web sites. He said the talk and RUMORS that float around on these things is so hard to deal with. You'll get a commitment from a kid, then a rumor will get going on some web site and will spread. Then you have to go back in the kids home and get his commitment firmed up again.

WHY??? Because he says, "Don't think that coaches aren't monitoring these web sites 24/7 and looking for anything to use against you." He said he's on there too. Therefore, think about it before posting about some kid and his uncle talking trash during a recruiting visit....

Just a couple of other notes. CTT hired Wes Yeary at OM as the FIRST full time chaplain at any NCAA D-1 school and had a vision for that type of thing. Now, the NCAA uses Auburn as a springboard for hiring people to do this at other schools. He said Chette Williams has to pay for his office space, plane ticket if he travels with team, all meals etc. because the NCAA rules do not allow it.

Oh, and Tristan Davis? Look for him to be starting at...safety. Sorry for the length but what a night!!!

Guest Tigrinum Major

Awesome post, esquire. Thanks for taking the time to share it.

Some of you that trash kids and teams need to pay attention to the part about who reads these places.

Great read..thanks for posting.. I've always liked this guy...and this story makes me want to hear him speak more than ever. There are some people who just have the ability to reach people.. I'm so glad he's at Auburn...Tuberville needs to give him whatever he wants to keep him at Auburn for a long time.

Great post Esquire. Sounds as if you had quite an evening. It is great to kow that our University is blessed with men of character leading these young men and helping to mold them and their futures.

Again, Thanks for sharing my friend.

God Bless and WDE ! ! ! :au:

This was something our church put on called Men's Night Out. A couple of months ago, Jerimiah Castille spoke and did a great job. They will have an event in August with someone from Bama and Auburn to be the guest speakers. I believe Mark Murphy is lined up on behalf of Auburn.

Another thing he talked about was how the entrance with arms locked got started. Forgive me, but I can't recall what Bible verse he quoted it came from. Anyway, he said the players started getting ticked when they saw Georgia doing it and Chette intervened, telling the players to just look at what they started and to be proud.

Chette was instrumental in getting Coach Gran and his wife to get on their knees together for the first time and lift up their situation with Sydney to God. He stressed how he and his wife were trying to "Lean on our own understanding" instead of letting God handle it. Folks, we have no idea what Chette means to this program.

AUsome post, Esquire. Thanks for sharing it with us.

:au::homer:

Thanks for sharing esquire and thanks to you Coach Gran for everything you mean to this program. It is so great to know what character the coaches have at Auburn.

Some of you that trash kids and teams need to pay attention to the part about who reads these places.

221025[/snapback]

AMEN!

Great post, Esquire. Thanks for passing it along.

That is good stuff!!! BTW, I told Tommy at church about the website, inviting him over here to AUnation.net. It is great to see God as a focus for a coaching staff, knowing God will prosper all things. God bless CTT and the coaching staff, Chette, and Wes as they serve God by setting examples for some young men to follow.

Archived