Finebaum stirs the pot again

WarTiger

Bammers aren't going to like this....

Contenders

Auburn on short list of contenders

Saturday, March 25, 2006

Considering it hasn't happened since 1957, one of the safest bets every football season is to go against Auburn winning the national championship in football. If the Tigers couldn't pull off the championship in 2004 with a perfect 13-0 record and arguably the best team in school history, then why would anyone think it's going to happen in 2006?

It's a fair and legitimate question. However, early indicators suggest that Auburn is at least going to make the national championship race interesting.

Last week in this space, I picked the Tigers to go 11-1 during the regular season, based in part on the schedule (the three best teams on the slate, LSU, Florida and Georgia, all come to Jordan-Hare Stadium) and returning players.

On top of that, the school has one of the league's best head coaches, Tommy Tuberville, and the best combo of coordinators anywhere with Al Borges on offense and new hotshot Will Muschamp on defense.

Since that column appeared, others have chimed in, notably Kirk Herbstreit of ESPN and Dennis Dodd of CBSSportsline.com.

Herbstreit, who is well-respected in football circles as a member of ESPN's Game Day crew, said this week that Auburn will start No. 5 in his preseason poll.

"They have Brandon Cox and Kenny Irons and a friendly schedule, and they have a chance to make a run," Herbstreit said.

On the CBS site, Dodd wrote: "The Tigers are 26-4 in their past 30 games. Tommy Tuberville needs only to tinker with the offensive line to get ready for 2006." Dodd also pointed to Auburn's weak non-conference schedule, which includes Washington State, Buffalo, Arkansas State and Tulane.

In yet another preview, this one on Collegefootballnews.com, Auburn is picked No. 6.

What's interesting is how far the Auburn program has risen in recent years in national perception. In the immediate aftermath of the Tigers' embarrassing bowl loss to Wisconsin, many felt it would cost them dearly in terms of image and buildup for the upcoming season.

In the short term, that appeared to be true, but in the wake of another top-10 recruiting class and the swift move of hiring Muschamp, Tuberville has Auburn flying high again in the court of public opinion.

In years past, even during upswings for Auburn, the Tigers never really received consistent national praise. Perhaps it was because they forever seemed to live in Alabama's shadow.

Even though most consider the Tide on the uptick following a 10-2 season, the consensus seems to be that Tuberville has the upper hand on Mike Shula -- evidenced by four straight wins over Alabama. While the Tide will likely be mentioned in top 25 polls when the preseason magazines come out in a few weeks, very few are breathing Alabama in the same breath as Auburn.

In years past, the Tigers have been unable to handle offseason praise. However, something tells me this year's preseason accolades will roll off the back of Tuberville and his program like water off a duck.

Auburn football is on a major roll at the moment. The program is enjoying prosperity to a degree that has not often happened in its successful but often inconsistent history. Will this be the year the Tigers finally silence the critics and win it all? Hard to say, but at the moment the so-called experts seem to think Auburn will at least get a piece of the action.

Let's stick together and boycott his show.....That's the only thing that will bring results.

For what its worth, and I didn't get through the second paragraph of chrome-dome's article. Auburn does have a legit shot at a NC this year.

Lsu, Florida, UGA are all at home. USC is a road trip and might be a little scare, but not when its all over. Washington state opener is not a gimme, but barring the "notreadyitis" like the GT game last year it will be ok. I'll reserve my default Bama comment of course.

All in all a good shot if the big uglies in the trenches can hold their ground.

For what its worth, and I didn't get through the second paragraph of chrome-dome's article. Auburn does have a legit shot at a NC this year.

Lsu, Florida, UGA are all at home. USC is a road trip and might be a little scare, but not when its all over. Washington state opener is not a gimme, but barring the "notreadyitis" like the GT game last year it will be ok. I'll reserve my default Bama comment of course.

All in all a good shot if the big uglies in the  trenches can hold their ground.

227093[/snapback]

I'm hoping the embarrassment of the Capital One Bowl has shocked us out of "notreadyitis" in the fall. We shall see.

The first and last games were lost primarily due to Cox being off, not even close to being in synch, and both times Borges seemed not to notice and didn't adjust play calling (along with some temporaray breakdowns by the defense). If Borges can adjust quickly to those few games here Cox struggles early, and the defense comes through with Muschamp's agressive schemes, Auburn will contend for the NC...

The first and last games were lost primarily due to Cox being off, not even close to being in synch, and both times Borges seemed not to notice and didn't adjust play calling (along with some temporaray breakdowns by the defense).  If Borges can adjust quickly to those few games here Cox struggles early, and the defense comes through with Muschamp's agressive schemes, Auburn will contend for the NC...

227110[/snapback]

Cox wasn't exactly off...he threw the ball like 50 times in his first start ever, under the lights, in a crazy atmosphere. We ran a terrible offense that day because we didn't have a RB emerge as the starter. We didn't run the ball for some reason. You can blame cox for having some turnovers, but he should be throwing the ball 30 time tops, not 50. The reason we lost that game was Borges.

and you guys cannot take a compliment from finebaum. Maybe he is trying to stir the pot a little bit, but there are a lot of football writers that are picking us to be in contention. Yes he's a douche sometimes, but lighten up. He's praising our team. He did it after the ironbowl 05, and he's still high on our program. He's giving credit where credit is due.

Let's stick together and boycott his show.....That's the only thing that will bring results.

227089[/snapback]

What show? :big:

:au::homer:

I expect Auburn to be in contention every year.

Don't need a hack reporter who makes money off of creating misery, give us his blessing to be in contention, Haven't listened to the show in 3 months and

have not missed a thing except bs. And who needs anymore of that?

Only bammers need the show to reinforce their myths and ancient history.

Finebaum doesnt give compliments, he gives crumbs and kita. He is what he is, the biggest media whore in the state. We should have a pretty good year next year. He s just admitting that and ribbing his true audience, the Tide faithful.

Bammers aren't going to like this....

Contenders

Auburn on short list of contenders

Saturday, March 25, 2006

Considering it hasn't happened since 1957, one of the safest bets every football season is to go against Auburn winning the national championship in football. If the Tigers couldn't pull off the championship in 2004 with a perfect 13-0 record and arguably the best team in school history, then why would anyone think it's going to happen in 2006?

It's a fair and legitimate question. However, early indicators suggest that Auburn is at least going to make the national championship race interesting.

Last week in this space, I picked the Tigers to go 11-1 during the regular season, based in part on the schedule (the three best teams on the slate, LSU, Florida and Georgia, all come to Jordan-Hare Stadium) and returning players.

On top of that, the school has one of the league's best head coaches, Tommy Tuberville, and the best combo of coordinators anywhere with Al Borges on offense and new hotshot Will Muschamp on defense.

Since that column appeared, others have chimed in, notably Kirk Herbstreit of ESPN and Dennis Dodd of CBSSportsline.com.

Herbstreit, who is well-respected in football circles as a member of ESPN's Game Day crew, said this week that Auburn will start No. 5 in his preseason poll.

"They have Brandon Cox and Kenny Irons and a friendly schedule, and they have a chance to make a run," Herbstreit said.

On the CBS site, Dodd wrote: "The Tigers are 26-4 in their past 30 games. Tommy Tuberville needs only to tinker with the offensive line to get ready for 2006." Dodd also pointed to Auburn's weak non-conference schedule, which includes Washington State, Buffalo, Arkansas State and Tulane.

In yet another preview, this one on Collegefootballnews.com, Auburn is picked No. 6.

What's interesting is how far the Auburn program has risen in recent years in national perception. In the immediate aftermath of the Tigers' embarrassing bowl loss to Wisconsin, many felt it would cost them dearly in terms of image and buildup for the upcoming season.

In the short term, that appeared to be true, but in the wake of another top-10 recruiting class and the swift move of hiring Muschamp, Tuberville has Auburn flying high again in the court of public opinion.

In years past, even during upswings for Auburn, the Tigers never really received consistent national praise. Perhaps it was because they forever seemed to live in Alabama's shadow.

Even though most consider the Tide on the uptick following a 10-2 season, the consensus seems to be that Tuberville has the upper hand on Mike Shula -- evidenced by four straight wins over Alabama. While the Tide will likely be mentioned in top 25 polls when the preseason magazines come out in a few weeks, very few are breathing Alabama in the same breath as Auburn.

In years past, the Tigers have been unable to handle offseason praise. However, something tells me this year's preseason accolades will roll off the back of Tuberville and his program like water off a duck.

Auburn football is on a major roll at the moment. The program is enjoying prosperity to a degree that has not often happened in its successful but often inconsistent history. Will this be the year the Tigers finally silence the critics and win it all? Hard to say, but at the moment the so-called experts seem to think Auburn will at least get a piece of the action.

227062[/snapback]

There is no question that AU has a shot at the NC. AU and LSU both have really good teams. Its going to get very intresting to see who is still standing at the end. Also, I didnt think about all those home games AU has. They have a very tough schedule, but alot of the tough ones are at home. IT wouldnt surprise me at all to see AU in the SEC championship without a loss.

Also, I didnt think about all those home games AU has. They have a very tough schedule, but alot of the tough ones are at home. IT wouldnt surprise me at all to see AU in the SEC championship without a loss.

227504[/snapback]

Yeah, five of the six toughest conference games are at home.............

Archived