If and when we beat Bama this year...

KunzelTiger

If and when we beat Bama this year, what should the T-shirts say?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. If and when we beat Bama this year, what should the T-shirts say?

• Thumbs Up
    • High Five
    • Fear the Left Hand
    • Fear the Other Thumb (this time we're International)
    • Other
    • Way too presumptuous for me...

I am the most superstitious person on this board when it comes to angering the football gods through presumptuous behavior. 

232679[/snapback]

Not so sure about that... I got a long list of superstitions.

Televised games:

1) I have to take a shower within two hours of kickoff. My daughter has to come into the den where the TV is with her hair still wet from her shower -- and she can't enter until the pre-game starts.

2) During a game I will not drink anything unless it is in a blue pastic cup and I won't use my left hand to drink.

3) I have to wear my vintage Bo Jackson jersey, but I can't put it on until there are 15 minutes or left until kickoff.

4) If AU is playing well, I will maintain the same physical position -- feet up or down, hand in the same position, whatever -- until something changes.

5) The shoes I wear during the game must have orange or blue trim. And I won't watch a game unless I have shoes on.

6) Before the first game of every season, I buy a hat. It has to be purchased from Anders. That hat remains on my head during every game of the season. Once the season is over, I take it off and don't wear it again. I've violated that rule once. My 2004 hat was worn to the GA Tech game this season. My bad. I thought I could carry over some of the mojo.

I got maybe two dozen of these things. And there's a whole different set for radio games and games attended in person. There are also variances for road games.

232683[/snapback]

You scare me, man.

I have to go to a game with you at least once.

232721[/snapback]

Strangely, my game-day superstitions are fewer.

1) Right hat, of course, but not worn until an hour before kickoff (or thereabouts). Don't put it on in the morning.

2) Shirt for the season. I usually pick out one I already own that hasn't been a "season" shirt.

3) Avoid TigerRags but visit J&M and Anders. Purchases are optional.

4) Coke in a gameday cup. Have to have it by kickoff.

5) Can only take my old cell phone, have to take the SIM card out of my current one and put it in there.

6) Check the score of other games on that phone during the third quarter, but never during the fourth.

7) Cry when the eagle flies no matter how hard I try not to. Then try not to cry when the video comes on. ("Rise" broke me down every time).

8) Never leave. No matter what. No matter how far ahead or how far behind, NEVER leave until the band leaves the field.

Oh, crap, I guess there are a lot of them. And there are changes to that list for the games I have sideline passes.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've voted for fear the other hand,but after thinking on it,I think it would be cool for something like.."5 in a row!!" ummm.. :P wow youse guys sux.

well its a good thing that we(fans)dont have to play the game! it doesnt matter one bit what we say we have no control either way of if Auburn wins or loses so just vote and get over it!

232588[/snapback]

I wouldn't say we have NO control. Fans can have a significant psychological effect and I for one don't care to give the Bama locker room any bulletin board material. No vote from me!

232657[/snapback]

i disagree, bammer already has the billboard material without us saying a word with the fear the thumb t-shirts, the point that i am making is that I havent blocked or tackled anyone in over 10 years! nothing we say is going to impact the game, dont get me wrong it fires up the players to play in front of a packed house but all the hype and nerves are over as soon as you hit somebody on the first play :big:

I agree about the Tiger Rags shirts, I wouldn't buy one unless we won the game, then I'd buy it with the final score added. I remember seeing someone a couple years back with a "Tide-tanic" shirt from the '98 Iron Bowl. It just made me wince.

The really scary thing to me is that I could answer yes to most of your first list GG. I have always gone to the Haley Center bookstore and bought a new hat the first game I made it to, dating back about 20 years now. My wife cusses under her breath at me every time she looks at the top shelf of the closet where they go for retirement.

For whatever reason, for the '00 Iron Bowl in Tuscaloosa I wore an old hat. Maybe it was the sleet at gametime...I don't know. Needless to say, I wore the same hat there in '02 and '04. It will also make an appearance this year barring some natural disaster or something.

However, I have decided earlier this year that I need to stop all the incessant worrying about my superstitions. That is why I was so confident about my Cubbies going into the season. Now that D-Lee is out for 2 months, I think the superstitions are slowly coming back. Should I seek immediate psychological attention?

The really scary thing to me is that I could answer yes to most of your first list GG.  I have always gone to the Haley Center bookstore and bought a new hat the first game I made it to, dating back about 20 years now.  My wife cusses under her breath at me every time she looks at the top shelf of the closet where they go for retirement.

For whatever reason, for the '00 Iron Bowl in Tuscaloosa I wore an old hat.  Maybe it was the sleet at gametime...I don't know.  Needless to say, I wore the same hat there in '02 and '04.  It will also make an appearance this year barring some natural disaster or something.

However, I have decided earlier this year that I need to stop all the incessant worrying about my superstitions.  That is why I was so confident about my Cubbies going into the season.  Now that D-Lee is out for 2 months, I think the superstitions are slowly coming back.  Should I seek immediate psychological attention?

232779[/snapback]

No, you should not seek medical or psychological attention. You are sane.

My hat purchase ritual dates back to Pat Dye's first year. As long as he was there, I bought the same hat he wore. After Bowden, I have chosen my own each season.

My wife tells me to quit with the superstitions, too. But she knows it's her fault we lost to Florida in 2002. She just HAD to move the AU throw from the corner of the bed where it had been keeping AU in the game.

I claim to be completely without superstition, but I must confess one thing: Friends gave me a new Auburn hat just before the 2003 season. After the losses to USC and Ga Tech to open the season, that hat got permanently retired.

Oh, and it always irks me when people around me start celebrating a win if there's time on the clock regardless of our lead--maybe I'm not superstitious, but I see no point in slapping the football gods in the face!

I have to have my shower and shave my legs prior to kickoff. We almost blew our undefeated season to Ole Miss because I was doing something around the house, and didn't take a shower until halftime. We went to the locker room without a lead for the first time all season. But I showered, got my legs shaved, and we kicked ass the second half.

I am with you, GG - I will NOT NOT NOT buy a Tiger Rags shirt until after the game is over. I literally have some very expensive paint rags that look suspiciously like their t-shirts because they were purchased pre-game and did not have the desired effect. I have NEVER had that work. NEVER.

I also try like the dickens not to cry during the pre-game video and the eagle flight. Yeah, good luck with THAT. I get goosebumps so bad that I shiver.

I used to make my ex-husband leave the house during games, or at least leave the room. He was an Auburn man, but DID NOT LIKE FOOTBALL. He went to his first football game the FIFTH year he was on campus because I made him go with me. If that ain't a jinx I don't know what is. He could walk in a room and make Auburn fumble by sheer virtue of his weirdness. The 1994 LSU game with the 4 interceptions occurred only because he left home to run errands at half time and didn't come back until the game was nearly over. There were 35 seconds or so left and I screamed at him "GET OUT!! GET OUT!!!" :big:

I have to have my shower and shave my legs prior to kickoff.  We almost blew our undefeated season to Ole Miss because I was doing something around the house, and didn't take a shower until halftime.  We went to the locker room without a lead for the first time all season.  But I showered, got my legs shaved, and we kicked ass the second half.

I am with you, GG - I will NOT NOT NOT buy a Tiger Rags shirt until after the game is over.  I literally have some very expensive paint rags that look suspiciously like their t-shirts because they were purchased pre-game and did not have the desired effect.  I have NEVER had that work.  NEVER.

I also try like the dickens not to cry during the pre-game video and the eagle flight.  Yeah, good luck with THAT.  I get goosebumps so bad that I shiver.

I used to make my ex-husband leave the house during games, or at least leave the room.  He was an Auburn man, but DID NOT LIKE FOOTBALL.  He went to his first football game the FIFTH year he was on campus because I made him go with me.  If that ain't a jinx I don't know what is.  He could walk in a room and make Auburn fumble by sheer virtue of his weirdness.  The 1994 LSU game with the 4 interceptions occurred only because he left home to run errands at half time and didn't come back until the game was nearly over.  There were 35 seconds or so left and I screamed at him "GET OUT!! GET OUT!!!"  :big:

232810[/snapback]

My superstitions:

1) Never watch a TV game with my DAD. One penalty against Auburn and he's got the "we are gonna lose" mentality.

2.) Never buy a game shirt until the game is over. (if i attend of course)

3.) TV game: Always watch it at home in front of the 60" TV. Never go to a watch party. Always have my coke in an Auburn cup from a previous game attendance(have a ton of them). wouldn't mind HOSTING one, but never attend one elsewhere.

4.) pick a shirt(usually buy a new one for each season) and wear it every game whether at home or in attendance and with my camoflauge (sp?) auburn pants(purchased at auburn)

will add as they come back to me....

Ok, can we say cocky.

No, cause we aren't UAT fans, and this is an AUBURN board.

How about fear the middle finger.

That's in 2008...

Oh the topics of April....

I won't go to watch parties either. Have NEVER been to one where the outcome was as I desired it to be. Never. First one I can actually remember was the year Pat Dye kicked a field goal to tie Tennessee (1990??). The rest have always resulted in a negative outcome. The infamous 1:12 seconds remaining Georgia game. BOTH USC games and BOTH Georgia Tech games. I have to be in my navy blue (naturally) recliner at my house, and when things get tense, I start rocking rapidly, with one foot tucked beneath me, and one foot on the floor.

Also, notice how I never use the "L" word when I mention any outcome of a game which is other than the desired outcome? :big:

I won't go to watch parties either.  Have NEVER been to one where the outcome was as I desired it to be.  Never.  First one I can actually remember was the year Pat Dye kicked a field goal to tie Tennessee (1990??).  The rest have always resulted in a negative outcome.  The infamous 1:12 seconds remaining Georgia game.  BOTH USC games and BOTH Georgia Tech games.  I have to be in my navy blue (naturally) recliner at my house, and when things get tense, I start rocking rapidly, with one foot tucked beneath me, and one foot on the floor.

Also, notice how I never use the "L" word when I mention any outcome of a game which is other than the desired outcome? :big:

232844[/snapback]

I have never seen Auburn beat Alabama in person. I will never go to another Iron Bowl as long as I live.

If, however, I invite an Alabama fan to my house to watch the game, Auburn has won every time. During said game, I say nothing and let them do all the ranting and raving. Once they leave, I go on the back porch and scream WAR EAGLE as loud as I can until I am hoarse.

I have to admit I was worried from the superstitious side about the '05 Iron Bowl. I have almost always gone to that one with my dad. He must be getting early alsheimers, because he signed himself up to work a trade show in Tennessee that weekend (what was he thinking...) So, anyhoo, against my better judgement I asked a Bama fan friend of mine to go, as my wife will no longer go to that game.

Of course, after it was over, I asked him what he was doing that weekend in '06...

I have a few things that I do, only watch the game with one friend(aunation member the prowler) no one else in the house, cell phone off, listen to the AU network until the game starts and then turn the radio off(i used to listen to the radio and watch the game but with the 5 second delay its impossible). I used to go to watching parties with friends until one iron bowl I got into a fist fight with a drunk bammer, not how I like to spend my time so i keep it simple and have plenty of bud light on hand!

I have a few things that I  do, only watch the game with one friend(aunation member the prowler) no one else in the house, cell phone off, listen to the AU network until the game starts and then turn the radio off(i used to listen to the radio and watch the game but with the 5 second delay its impossible). I used to go to watching parties with friends until one iron bowl I got into a fist fight with a drunk bammer, not how I like to spend my time so i keep it simple and have plenty of bud light on hand!

232856[/snapback]

I missed the end of the "Bear 315" game -- his last win over AU -- because I knocked a drunk Bama fan about three rows. They took me to the bowels of Legion field to cool off and then showed me the gate. My girlfriend was none too happy. But he deserved it.

Stupid jerk. When AU was winning he didn't have squat to say and I didn't bother him. But let that other school get a first down and there was a shaker in my face and him bellowing "Rolll TAAAAAAAAAHD" Not at the field, at me behind him. I told him about five times that I was going to stick the shaker somewhere he might like it if he didn't quit. He kept on. So I snatched it out of his hands and broke it. That got me a finger poked in my chest. Can I just tell you that the one thing I cannot tolerate is a finger poked at me? Sent him sprawling. Ushers. Cops. Out. Missed Linnie "I can't spell Linnie" Patrick's game clinching run.

i like the evolution of this thread. i only have a couple of superstitions...

First, I buy an orange polo each offseason and wear it ONLY to games I attend, and don't put it on until just before we walk to the stadium.

I buy a blue hat and an orange hat each August and only wear those 2 hats for the season.

I buy 22 romeo and julietta cigars (24 this year). smoke one on the way to the stadium (or 30 min prior to kickoff) and one on the way out if we win.

The only alcoholic beverage i drink at the games is whiskey, no beer.

If I'm at home watching on TV, I have to hold an old football I've had for 15+ years for the entire game.

232927[/snapback]

You should not drink in the stands. It's inappropriate and illegal. It also makes it more difficult for people like me who don't want their kids exposed to that kind of stuff to justify coming to games. Leave that kind of behavior to the Bama and Ole Miss fans. It's what they're known for.

I'm very disappointed to see this.

I bought the orange cap like CTT and the rest of the coaching staff wear, and I wear it faithfully on gameday....from the moment I wake up through the end of the game. I wear my old faithful blue Auburn sweatshirt along with it.

I watch the game alone, sitting in my recliner and never fully reclined. As a matter of fact, I am always leaning forward when the defense is on the field. I also have a football in hand.

Like Bammanmr, I have a pregame cigar (for the BIG games) and scotch, followed by a victory cigar after each win (usually a Romeo & Juiletta #3).

232927[/snapback]

You should not drink in the stands. It's inappropriate and illegal. It also makes it more difficult for people like me who don't want their kids exposed to that kind of stuff to justify coming to games. Leave that kind of behavior to the Bama and Ole Miss fans. It's what they're known for.

I'm very disappointed to see this.

232956[/snapback]

had season tickets in 2003, and there were some students sitting next to us in the upper deck(Tennessee game, I believe) that I saw with those little bottles of whatever they are. I'm not a drinker at all, so have no idea what was in them. However, one of them was so obviously drunk, I don't know how he even got up to the seat. Anyway, there was a family behind us with smaller children(probably around 7& 5) and they were extremely upset over this person. He was shouting profanities and all kinds of stuff. Fortunately they left middle of the first quarter and never came back. I think the other guy knew what an embarrassment it was and took him out. I hate seeing things like this too. There is no place for it in college stadiums(whether its ILLEGAL or not, which it is). I even have a problem with it at tailgating sites, mainly because I have passed numerous locations (even before a game, but mainly after) where beer cans and bottles are all over the lawns. We need to have more respect for our university than that, and if you are going to drink, at least have something to put the empties in, instead of leaving them all over our beautiful campus. *END OF RANT*

We have beatin Bama 3 times in a row. So after this season can we borrow the "Fear the Thumb?"

233043[/snapback]

certainly. No sense in just Auburn hating everything UAT. Feel free to join that parade anytime... :big:

We have beatin Bama 3 times in a row. So after this season can we borrow the "Fear the Thumb?"

233043[/snapback]

Wonderful idea, but so there are no copyright infringements, how about

"Feah the Thumb"?

i agree... way too presumptuous for me.

232556[/snapback]

Ditto!

Archived