abrnfanatc

Not Funk & Wagnalls, but...

Corndoggies

Corn dog

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(Redirected from Corndog)

Jump to: navigation, search

Corn dog (exterior view)

Corn dog (horizontal cross section)A corn dog is a hot dog coated in cornbread batter and deep fried in hot oil, although there are baked variations. Originally made without sticks, almost all corn dogs are now on sticks. Canadians call these pogos (see below). They are known in Australia as "Dagwood dogs", "Pluto pups" or "dippy dogs". In Japan they are referred to as amerikan doggu ("American dogs"), and they are very popular. In South Korea, they are known as hotdogs and actual hotdogs are scarce.

The corn dog was popularized in 1942 at the Texas State Fair when it was introduced by Neil Fletcher, although the Pronto Pup vendors at the Minnesota State Fair claim to have invented the corn dog in 1941.

There is an article from the Port Arthur (Texas) News on newspaperarchive.com from 1940. The story is about the first corn dog (not on a stick) stand opening in Port Arthur. The article states that the "Debut of the corn dog came some time ago at the Louisiana state fair". Unfortunately, newspaperarchive.com is a pay site. Here is "corn+dogs"+AND+date:1940-10-29 the search link that yields this article. Oddly enough, corndogs are closely associated with fans of Louisiana State University (LSU) football.

The first corn dog on a stick was the "cozy dog," and it is still served in the "Cozy Dog Drive In" restaurant in Springfield, Illinois. In 1946, Ed Waldmire Jr. used a batter supplied by his friend Don Strand and used cocktail forks as sticks. He called his new hot dog a "crusty cur". However, Ed's wife Virginia is credited with naming them "cozy dogs" because she felt naming a food product "crusty" didn't sound very appealing. To go with the Cozy Dog name, the Waldmires created a logo of two cartoon hot dogs embracing (being 'cozy'). Later he patented a device that clipped the sticks and allowed multiple dogs to be dipped in batter and then in hot oil. The sticks which used to be made exclusively of oak in the early days are now made almost exclusively of pine wood.

Corn dogs are served as street food, as well as at malls, local delis, and gas stations. It is also sold at events such as state and county fairs, art festivals and Renaissance Fairs.

While some places dip and fry their dogs just before serving, other places use premade frozen corndogs that are thawed and then fried again or browned in an oven. Premade frozen corndogs can also be microwaved, but the corn bread coating will lack texture.

They are eaten plain or served with ketchup, mustard, relish, or mayonnaise.

"Pogo", mentioned above as the Canadian term, is a brand of corn dog; having become ubiquitous, the name transferred from the specific to the generic. (cf. Kleenex, Band-Aid, Aspirin)

In 1946, Dave Barham opened the first location of Hot Dog on a Stick at Muscle Beach, Santa Monica, California. It is the only chain restaurant to offer corn dogs as its main menu item. The company is currently 100% employee-owned (the only fast-food restaurant of which this is true) and operates 115 stores in 17 states, mostly in shopping malls. Franchises have been issued for several other nations, but all stores in the USA are company-owned. The restaurant is known for the multi-colored smocks and hats (first introduced in the 1960s) worn by the employees, who are mostly young women.

Finally!!! Irrefutable evidence of what we have always known! What are the fighting Corndogs going to say about this?

It may have something to do with the fact that the founder wikipedia is an Auburn graduate.
Notable Graduates Jimmy Wales (1989); founder of the Wikipedia
It's still funny though.

wikipedia Auburn University

236069[/snapback]

Wow, that's even more awesome. I did not know that.

And I just updated Wikipedia by adding Man Or Astroman? to notable alumni.

Man Or Astroman?

What a great band. We had them at my fraternity house. Did you ever see the Labrea Stompers|?

Brilliant!!!

Wikipedia is supposedly a user-edited encyclopedia. Therefore, you can edit it to say anti-LSU stuff if you really want to. (I've never tried it though).

Well many LSU fans don't even know that people call us corn dogs or why. So basically we just look at it as a silly nickname that fans give each other. It's not really a big deal. It's just like calling Auburn fans barners or South Carolina fans coots.

Well many LSU fans don't even know that people call us corn dogs or why.

I would say the majority if not more know that LSU is put together with corndogs these days.

Now, I would admit that not anyone really knows why but it has spread.

The corndog/LSU connection is pretty known, imo, in our law school with 90% of LSU fans

Well many LSU fans don't even know that people call us corn dogs or why. So basically we just look at it as a silly nickname that fans give each other. It's not really a big deal. It's just like calling Auburn fans barners or South Carolina fans coots.

236147[/snapback]

LOL. That's a new one on me too...coots. I did not know that...that's wierd, wild stuff.

Man Or Astroman?

What a great band. We had them at my fraternity house. Did you ever see the Labrea Stompers|?

Yeah, I had first heard of Man Or Astroman? in like 7th grade when I bought the School House Rock Tribute Album that featured Blind Melon, Better Than Ezra, Pavement, Ween, The Lemonheads, Biz Markie, Moby, and Skee-Lo amongst others.

I later started downloading their other songs, and did some yahoo searches (pre-Google days) to find that they were from Auburn.

Also, it should be noted that the cofounder of Wikipedia was an undergrad at Auburn but got his masters at UAT.

Also, it should be noted that the cofounder of Wikipedia was an undergrad at Auburn but got his masters at UAT.

I discovered that after I posted he was an Auburn grad.

It's encouraging to know that calling someone a corndog passes for wit over at Auburn. It's almost as fiendishly clever as "fear the thumb."

How about the old "pull my finger" gag? That had to have been an Auburn fan.

Seriously people, if you're gonna rip on opposing fans, at least put some effort into it.

It's encouraging to know that calling someone a corndog passes for wit over at Auburn. It's almost as fiendishly clever as "fear the thumb."

How about the old "pull my finger" gag? That had to have been an Auburn fan.

Seriously people, if you're gonna rip on opposing fans, at least put some effort into it.

236476[/snapback]

WOW. Let's examine this.....

You said that there needed to be some effort put into ripping on corndogs...I mean LSU fans. So that is infact saying that calling LSU fans corndogs is effortLESS to do, which really means that it is very easy to draw that parallel.

So why get all bent out of shape about a nickname that you yourself have proven to be a synonym?

WOW.  Let's examine this.....

You said that there needed to be some effort put into ripping on corndogs...I mean LSU fans.  So that is infact saying that calling LSU fans corndogs is effortLESS to do, which really means that it is very easy to draw that parallel. 

So why get all bent out of shape about a nickname that you yourself have proven to be a synonym?

236489[/snapback]

I have to give you credit for creative interpretation. For the record, however, the lack of effort I was refering to is in the complete absence of humor, wit, or even logic in the nickname - not its ease of association with LSU fans.

I'll try to rephrase: jokes about LSU fans should include an actual joke.

WOW.  Let's examine this.....

You said that there needed to be some effort put into ripping on corndogs...I mean LSU fans.  So that is infact saying that calling LSU fans corndogs is effortLESS to do, which really means that it is very easy to draw that parallel. 

236489[/snapback]

I have to give you credit for creative interpretation. For the record, however, the lack of effort I was refering to is in the complete absence of humor, wit, or even logic in the nickname - not its ease of association with LSU fans.

I'll try to rephrase: jokes about LSU fans should include an actual joke.

236498[/snapback]

Yea I think I missed my calling.

Actually, the lameness of the 'Corndog' moniker was discussed a few months back...

Right Here.

It may be a debate worthwhile of reviving. I'm still for the "Fighting Nutria" myself.

GEAUX nutria.jpg

Actually, the lameness of the 'Corndog' moniker was discussed a few months back...

Right Here.

It may be a debate worthwhile of reviving.  I'm still for the "Fighting Nutria" myself.

GEAUX nutria.jpg

236501[/snapback]

Wouldn't "Chasing Nutria" actually be more technically correct?

Archived