SEC predictions for next year in Birmingham News

The Birmingham News gave their predictions on how the SEC will turn out next year. Do you agree with their predictions? What are your predictions for the SEC next year?

Here is the link

http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/in...0210.xml&coll=2

AU players get talk on the hype

Sunday, June 04, 2006

CHARLES HOLLIS

News staff writer

Nothing like a lot of Auburn hype entering the 2006 college football season to better remind Tommy Tuberville he better nip it in the bud.

Auburn fans thinking about the holy grail is one thing, but the Tigers' head football coach says he doesn't want his players getting caught up "in all those media projections."

So Tuberville reminded them in a team meeting last month "to be proud of where you're ranked, be proud of what people are saying about you, but just remember all that talk is just projections."

Advertisement

The talk is how Auburn can win the Southeastern Conference, and maybe even play for a national title.

In The Birmingham News' 60th annual spring SEC Football Preview, Auburn and LSU tied as the pick of Western Division sports information directors to win the division. It's the first tie since the league split into two divisions in 1992.

The Eastern Division SIDs voted Florida as that division's champion.

In the overall poll of all SIDs, they rated LSU and Florida as the top teams - the teams most likely to play in the SEC Championship Game in Atlanta on Dec. 2. An SID could not vote for his school.

In the West poll, Auburn and LSU each received three first-place votes and two seconds for a total of 23 points to beat out third-place Alabama, which had 16 points.

In the East poll, Florida topped the pack with five first-place votes and 25 points. Georgia was second with one first-place vote and four seconds and 21 points. Tennessee finished third with 17.

Following LSU and Florida in the league's overall poll was Auburn, Georgia and Alabama. LSU edged the Gators by one point, 109 to 108. Auburn was close behind with 106 points.

"We've got some talent on this team," said Tuberville. "But I've had talent before and we didn't play as well as we'd hoped."

In 2003, his Tigers began the year with the greatest of expectations - preseason SEC favorite and a No. 1 national ranking in The Sporting News. That team finished 8-5 with a trip to the Music City Bowl.

Last season the Tigers finished 9-3, including 7-1 in the SEC. They were on their way to a remarkable finish - after losing quarterback Jason Campbell and runners Carnell Williams and Ronnie Brown in the NFL's first round - until Wisconsin stunned Auburn 24-10 in the Capital One Bowl.

Advertisement

"We didn't have the greatest team last year, but at times we played pretty good," said Tuberville. "We have a similar team this time, but with probably more question marks on defense than we've had in a while."

With quarterback Brandon Cox, running back Kenny Irons and a healthy Courtney Taylor at receiver, the Tigers could produce one of the league's top offenses. "The biggest concern I have is replacing Marcus McNeill and Troy Reddick at tackle," said Tuberville.

On defense, just one starter returns on the line, end Marquies Gunn, and senior Will Herring, a preseason All-SEC safety, has moved to linebacker, though he might eventually move back. Gunn and All-SEC cornerback David Irons anchor a young defense.

"It's a little bit scary," said Tuberville. "But we've got some good talent. I think we have a chance to have a pretty good defense."

Fundamentally horrible:

Urban Meyer, coming off a 9-3 season in which he became the only first-year coach at Florida to beat heated rivals Tennessee, Georgia and Florida State, handles the fan expectations in a no-nonsense style that they seem to like.

"We're still not a tough team, we're fundamentally a joke," said Meyer. "I felt like fundamentally we were horrible last year. "...We also have to become tougher. With the speed I saw on defense in the SEC last year, we have no choice."

With the return of veteran quarterback Chris Leak and playmakers galore at receiver, even with Hoover's Chad Jackson leaving early for the NFL, offense isn't expected to be an issue.

Well, there may be one issue, if Leak struggles early and the backup is Tim Tebow, the much-heralded freshman who had moments of early stardom in the spring.

Advertisement

"There is no quarterback controversy," said Meyer. "The job belongs to Chris Leak."

Defensively, the Gators are solid in the line and return linebackers Brandon Siler and Earl Everett, but the secondary, headed by cornerback Reggie Lewis and safety Reggie Nelson, is young and thin.

The biggest obstacle in 2006 is the schedule. The Gators play Tennessee, Auburn and Florida State on the road, Georgia in Jacksonville and have Alabama, LSU and South Carolina in Gainesville.

"Yeah, fans want 13-0," said Meyer. "But we don't worry about that ... Look at our schedule. We're playing nine bowl teams. It will probably be the hardest schedule in Division I-A."

Plenty of playmakers:

LSU coach Les Miles replaced the popular Nick Saban as head coach and won over the Tiger faithful with a dominating Peach Bowl victory over Miami. His 2006 team will bring more expectations. "I am definitely more comfortable with my surroundings and this team and who we are, what we expect of them," said Miles. "I hope that will bring more success."

Playmakers won't be a problem for the offense with running backs Alley Broussard and Justin Vincent, quarterback JaMarcus Russell and wideouts Early Doucet and Dwayne Bowe.

Russell, who missed the Peach Bowl game, is not a lock as the starter. Junior Matt Flynn, the Peach star, and redshirt freshman Ryan Perrilloux give Miles two options if Russell isn't the answer.

Im so sick of hearing about Florida. I hope they get creamed next year.

How a team can lose to south carolina, get creamed by bama 31-3, take vandy to OT...and be preseason all world is beyond me.

I agree with BG...Florida stinks, Chris Leak Stinks and that assessment on Auburn seems pretty accurate...Could be great but if we get ahead of ourselves we'll be 8-5...

I agree with the comments on Florida, however, who will replace them in the SEC championship game? Florida will have to lose 3 SEC games not to be there, and I just doubt that will happen. I am glad to hear coach Tubb's getting on the players, I just hope it gets through to guys like Trey Blackman :no:

We need to start the season with everyone on the field and no injuries. I hope this year the coaches let the best player play, and if they aren't playing well, they will be willing to pull them quick. I like that the coaches trust the players, but when you are trying to win every game, you can't leave a weak link in the game.

3 games that scare me:

At South Carolina (they have a receiver-Rice- who can win any game by himself)

LSU (whoever wins this should win the West)

Arkansas (if we don't tackle McFadden we will lose. He has a chance for SEC Offensive Player of the Year)

The Florida and Georgia games don't concern me. As long as we win 1 we will be in SEC championship game. The Second place finisher in the west will have 2 losses.

LOL there's no way Auburn finishes 8-5

More than 2 losses would be a dissapointment. Y'all are stacked. :(

Im so sick of hearing about Florida. I hope they get creamed next year.

How a team can lose to south carolina, get creamed by bama 31-3, take vandy to OT...and be preseason all world is beyond me.

238443[/snapback]

I totally agree! I am pumping Arkansas to beat USC in week 1. In my mind that is WAY more justified than all this Florida talk.

LOL there's no way Auburn finishes 8-5

More than 2 losses would be a dissapointment. Y'all are stacked. :(

238466[/snapback]

Please see 2003...Three first round picks in the backfield....we were 8-5...I know it has a lot to do with our OC but still...

I personally Think Chris Leak is a good Quarterback, How could you expect a Pocket QB to conform to Urban's offense in one year?

I have gotten used to UF being the pre-season favorite

Same old, Same old

238511[/snapback]

Don't count out the 'dawgs in the East. Way too much talent over there to write them off, particularly given the current strength (or lack thereof) in that division. UF's got to show me something before I put them first . . .

In the West, both LSU and AU have plenty of talent, but more than a few questions (AU on defense; LSU on both lines and (health-wise, at least) at QB and RB). Give AU the edge based on schedule - in addition to LSU, AU gets UF, UGA and Ark at home. (CAVEAT: Thurs night, national TV in Columbia is scary, especially if USC can upset UGA (also in Columbia) and build some momentum.) LSU, on the other hand, is at (in addition to Auburn) UF, UT and (watch out) Ark.

Why is the world so scared of a 4-7 Arkansas team?

They looked really good against SMS, ULM, Ole Miss, and MSU last season?!?!

I have gotten used to UF being the pre-season favorite

Same old, Same old

238511[/snapback]

Don't count out the 'dawgs in the East. Way too much talent over there to write them off, particularly given the current strength (or lack thereof) in that division. UF's got to show me something before I put them first . . .

In the West, both LSU and AU have plenty of talent, but more than a few questions (AU on defense; LSU on both lines and (health-wise, at least) at QB and RB). Give AU the edge based on schedule - in addition to LSU, AU gets UF, UGA and Ark at home. (CAVEAT: Thurs night, national TV in Columbia is scary, especially if USC can upset UGA (also in Columbia) and build some momentum.) LSU, on the other hand, is at (in addition to Auburn) UF, UT and (watch out) Ark.

238607[/snapback]

Regarding the East, I'd also point, again, to schedule. Georgia gets UT at home; UF goes to Rocky Top. From the West, both play at Auburn, but UGA plays Ole Miss and Miss St, while UF gets LSU and uat (albeit at home). Good luck, Urban!

Why is the world so scared of a 4-7 Arkansas team?

They looked really good against SMS, ULM, Ole Miss, and MSU last season?!?!

238627[/snapback]

Darren McFadden

Also we were losing to them at halftime.. and they took LSU down to the wire. Those are some other reasons to be scared. Also, Arkansas likes to play Auburn well.. and they return a lot.

Don't count out the 'dawgs in the East.  Way too much talent over there to write them off, particularly given the current strength (or lack thereof) in that division.  UF's got to show me something before I put them first . . .

In the West, both LSU and AU have plenty of talent, but more than a few questions (AU on defense; LSU on both lines and (health-wise, at least) at QB and RB).  Give AU the edge based on schedule - in addition to LSU, AU gets UF, UGA and Ark at home.  (CAVEAT: Thurs night, national TV in Columbia is scary, especially if USC can upset UGA (also in Columbia) and build some momentum.)  LSU, on the other hand, is at (in addition to Auburn) UF, UT and (watch out) Ark.

238607[/snapback]

I don't discount us at all.

UF is bar none the most athletic team with the most talent for the 6th consecutive year.

But, they do have the toughest schedule in the SEC if not country, imo

I personally don't understand all the hype around Florida. They have yet to prove they can run Urban's offense, their defense got burned on several occasions last year and has anyone taken a long, hard look at their schedule? It opens up with a Southern Miss team that was a miracle away from beating the "great" Crimson Tide. They then have a gimme against UCF before taking on Tennessee in Knoxville. They host Kentucky and Bama before the hellish part comes in. The following 3 games could be 3 losses for them LSU, @ Auburn and Georgia. They get a break against Vanderbilt before taking on a much improved South Carolina team at home. A South Carolina team that beat them last year and has the ole ball coach. After a laugher vs Western Carolina they play their arch rivals FSU at the Doak. I can see Florida losing to Tennessee, Bama, LSU, Auburn, Georgia, South Carolina AND FSU. That is 7 games with a great shot at them losing. Now I doubt they will lose all 7, but still that is pretty brutal. I personally believe LSU, Auburn and Georgia are better than Florida with South Carolina and Alabama not far behind. Tennessee is still a question mark.

AU has the talent and should be the WEST favorite. Fla will NOT win the EAST.

Just my 2 cents.

Don't count out the 'dawgs in the East.  Way too much talent over there to write them off, particularly given the current strength (or lack thereof) in that division.  UF's got to show me something before I put them first . . .

In the West, both LSU and AU have plenty of talent, but more than a few questions (AU on defense; LSU on both lines and (health-wise, at least) at QB and RB).  Give AU the edge based on schedule - in addition to LSU, AU gets UF, UGA and Ark at home.  (CAVEAT: Thurs night, national TV in Columbia is scary, especially if USC can upset UGA (also in Columbia) and build some momentum.)  LSU, on the other hand, is at (in addition to Auburn) UF, UT and (watch out) Ark.

238607[/snapback]

I don't discount us at all.

238682[/snapback]

Didn't mean that you were. My post was in support, I guess, of your (prior) post - i.e., same old song, UF looks better than anyone . . . in June.

florida loses at least four maybe five games....LSU, Auburn, Tennessee, South Carolina and FSU. this love affair people are having with florida is nauseating. They've done NOTHING to warrant this kind of attention. When they fail miserably in the "myths" second year, perhaps everybody else will wake up and realize that UF is permanently back in the middle of the pack in the SEC like they were before spurrier and have been since spurrier.

WEST: History repeats itself for the third straight year: Winner of the AU-LSU game goes to Atlanta, and that will be the home team in a very close game.

EAST: May not be decided by the Cocktail Party this year. Given equal schedules, Florida would be a slight favorite based on talent, but Florida's schedule will leave them with two SEC losses outside of the Cocktail Party. Urban's still not ready for the pressure of the SEC, not with the brutal schedule they face.

Auburn beats Georgia in Atlanta. Why? 'cause I'm just an AU :homer: . Probably a toss up, but CTT seems to get the team up for the really big games and we have the best OC/DC team in the country.

I never predict any team to go 12-0 regular season--it just takes too many perfect bounces of the funny shaped ball to expect that. But, if Auburn manages to get through the season and SECCG at 13-0, they won't be left out of the big dance this time. The pollsters still feel embarrassed about 2004 and would see that we make the BCS championship game if we're undefeated this time. (Plus, Washington State looks a lot better on our SOS than the Citadel!)

All of the above, of course, is pretty much conventional wisdom and not particularly clever or unique on my part. :rolleyes:

Going out on a limb with a real prediction: I'll say we go 12-2, including the SECCG and a bowl.

["History repeats itself", "Bounces of the funny shaped ball", "the big dance", "conventional wisdom", etc...I'll also predict that I don't use this many tired old cliches in one post again for several weeks! ...and that includes "tired old cliches" :P ]

Archived