AZ QB Kovalchek to Vandy

DKW 86

http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/index.cf...s&news_id=50117

WTG :vandy: !!!!

Former Arizona QB will transfer to Vanderbilt

By Brett Hait, bhait@nashvillecitypaper.com

May 30, 2006

Former University of Arizona quarterback Richard Kovalcheck will transfer to Vanderbilt and will be eligible to play this fall, The City Paper has learned.

The player’s mother, Ella Kovalcheck, told VandySports.com the scholarship letter was mailed to Vanderbilt last week. A Vanderbilt source told The City Paper Saturday the school expects to complete Kovalcheck’s transfer paperwork this week.

Richard Koval-check, 21, graduated from Arizona in three years, but the school does not offer a graduate program in healthcare administration, Kovalcheck’s desired field of study.

A new NCAA rule permits players to transfer from one Division I school to another without sitting out a year if the original college does not offer the desired post-graduate program.

I watched Kovalcheck play 3 games for Arizona, and I doubt he will have an impact at Vandy. Despite his ranking coming out of high school, Kovalcheck never delivered on the hype. He lost his starting job to a true freshman in the 7th game last season, and Arizona upset previously-undefeated UCLA handily. It was hard to believe the true freshman didn't outplay Kovalcheck in August, and Arizona might have won 3-4 more games had Kovalcheck been replaced sooner.

Archived