How did we develop a middle class in America?

DKW 86

http://www.roadtothemiddleclass.com/takethetest.php

Take the test first before reading below. Take it with an open mind and then consider the points he makes. I only scored a 7-16 BTW. Links are provided with the answers.

Part 1: Religion in America

1. Back in 1776, at the time of the Declaration of Independence, what percentage of colonial North Americans adhered to a church?

17%  39%  62%  86%  Don´t know

Only 17% of Americans were church adherents in 1776.

2. In 1980, the year Ronald Reagan was elected president of the United States, what percentage of US residents adhered to a church?

17%  39%  62%  86%  Don´t know

In 1980, a full 62% of Americans were church adherents.

3. Where was the first Catholic Archbishop of New York born?

Boston  Poland  Italy  Ireland  Don´t know

The first Catholic Archbishop of New York was John Hughes, born in Ireland.

4. How often does a Pentecostal church open in New York City?

one/week  one/month  one/year  one/decade  Don´t know

According to Tony Carnes of the Wall Street Journal, once each week.

Part 2: Education in America

5. Back in 1850, as the common school system was spreading across the United States under the inspiration of Horace Mann, what percentage of Americans were literate?

15%  32%  55%  90%  Don´t know

Americans have always been literate. The literacy rate was already at 90 percent in 1850 when the public school system was getting started.  :blink: Wow, we have spent tons of money and gone backwards. The slaves werent educated though, so this may be total :bs:

6. What was Horace Mann´s most extravagant claim for public education related to?

literacy  economic growth  crime  immigrants  Don´t know

If common schools were adopted Mann claimed that “nine tenths of the crimes in the penal code would become obsolete.” :o Wow did that fail...

7. After 170 years of public schooling in America, what percentage of adult Americans have trouble reading a bus schedule or filling out a job application form?

7%  15%  20%  37%  Don´t know

Studies show that about a fifth of American adults have difficulty in performing basic reading tasks. From 90% literacy to 80%

8. What is the central idea in public education?

skills  creativity  socialization  compulsion  Don´t know

The single thread that runs through the entire narrative of government schooling is control and compulsion—of other peoples´ children. This would explain pols having their kids in private schools and their abhorence of vouchers.

Part 3: Mutual Aid in America

9. Before the New Deal, how many working-class Americans belonged to fraternal associations?

23%  48%  55%  72%  Don´t know

In 1924, it is estimated, about 48 percent of working class men in the United States belonged to a fraternal organization. :huh:

10. Which fraternal assocation uses the symbol of three intertwined loops?

Masons  Elks  Moose  Oddfellows  Don´t know

The Independent Order of Odd Fellows is known as “The Three Link Fraternity” which stands for Friendship, Love and Truth.

11. When was the first Oddfellows lodge founded?

1787  1805  1819  1867  Don´t know

The first lodge that became the Independent Order of Odd Fellows was founded in 1819 in Baltimore. Link here.

12. In the spirit of the times, fraternal associations in the nineteenth century were segregated every which way. In what way were they notably not segregated?

class  gender  race  religion  Don´t know

Rigidly segregated by gender, race, and religion, the boss and the working stiff could and did belong to the same lodge.

Part 4: Living Under Law in America

13. Who was it that wrote: “we may say that the movement of the progressive societies has hitherto been a movement from Status to Contract?”

John Dewey  Abraham Lincoln  Walter Lippmann

Henry Maine  Don´t know

It was Sir Henry Maine in Ancient Law that highlighted the importance of developing horizontal relationship in contract to replace the vertical relationship of status that obtained in face-to-face society. Great take on societal changes.

14. Before the founding of the United States, there was Venice, a commercial republic. By what means was the Doge of Venice chosen?

election  seize power  committee  inherit  Don´t know

For hundreds of years, the Doges of Venice were selected by committee. They ruled for life. Kind of like the College of Electorates here huh?

15. Why did the American farmers and miners get their living law incorporated into federal statute law?

they wrote it down  they were white males  they had guns

they bought Congress  Don´t know

The farmers and miners formed self-governing associations and they wrote down the by-laws that they generated to regulate their transactions in land and in minerals.

16. Why was Tammany Hall so eager to help immigrants? What did Tammany want in return?

contributions  votes  street fighters  respect  Don´t know

Of course, Tammany wanted money, street fighters, and ward heelers. But the one thing the immigrant had that was valuable was his vote. And Tammany was the first to appreciate this fact. How approppriate for today!

In 1980, a full 62% of Americans were church adherents.

Are they really? Its one thing to say you go to church, and another thing to actually go. I bet 62% of the people in Auburn, historical town in the southern Bible belt, don't go to church on a regular basis.

Also, back in 1776, its not like people could hop in a car, drive 10 miles, and be at church. Many "services" were held in homes.

I made 11 out of 16 and was surprised about some of the answers I got wrong. The ones with percentages from the colonial times and 1776 make me suspicious because how did they come up with that number? Not alot of Gallup and CNN polls back then and also the U.S. Census Bureau was not established until 1790 and questions about churc were not added until the middle 1800s. I Looovvveee History. Just too bad there is no money in teaching it.

I do like what they say on this site. I have now added it to my bookmarks.

I am surpised at my ignorance in this area. I need study more and post less.

240525[/snapback]

Kind of hoped you would like this BF.

Archived