Shula speaks

quietfan

Flipper has finally broken his media silence on these Tide players:

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/mobilere...3510.xml&coll=3

TUSCALOOSA -- Alabama coach Mike Shula said Thursday that D.J. Hall will be ready to play football in the fall, and the "disappointing" Juwan Simpson incident has significant disciplinary repercussions.

Hall's situation has stirred up Crimson Tide football fans from coast to coast. The talented junior receiver is at home in Fort Walton Beach, Fla., this summer, and Internet boards are alive with speculation that Hall has been dismissed, failed out of school or is otherwise ineligible.

"He'll be here in the fall," said Shula, who is entering his fourth season as Alabama's head coach.

Shula would not elaborate on what Hall is going through now, or whether he's in the coach's doghouse.

"The best way to put it, he's at home and he's got personal issues to deal with," Shula said.

As for Simpson -- who was recently charged with marijuana possession and carrying a gun without a permit during a recent traffic stop -- Shula said he has already decided on some punishment, and "there's some that's depending on the rest of the outcomes."

Shula didn't reveal his line of thinking on a possible suspension for Simpson.

"I don't know about that," he said. "If he is, it's something that we probably won't announce until later."

Asked whether junior receiver Keith Brown is in imminent danger of losing his academic eligibility, as has been rumored in some circles, Shula obliquely addressed the question.

"He's been here working out, going to school," Shula said.

"You could say (he needs to get his grades up) about every player on our football team. We don't have many 4.0s."  :big:

If this is a discipline issue for Hall, how is this discipline, if you send a kid home for the summer but tell them to show back up in the fall. What is the punishment? All he is missing is summer workouts and thats what they want to miss.

If this is a discipline issue for Hall,  how is this discipline, if you send a kid home for the summer but tell them to show back up in the fall. What is the punishment? All he is missing is summer workouts and thats what they want to miss.

240992[/snapback]

However, if this is indeed a case of family emergency, then there's no reason for punishment.

And while I'm sure all players go through periods when summer workouts seem like nothing but a pain, I think the real competitors know that by missing them, they're negatively affecting their performance and possible playing time in the fall.

Frankly, I'd have no problem with requiring scholarship players to sign a waiver allowing schools/coaches to release any and all information relating to their status, including injury and behavorial problems. Clearly, players in the major D-1 schools are under the media microscope anyway, and by accepting the scholarship they have more or less volunteered to be an ambassador for the school. Why not have them sign such a release? The media is going to report something in any case, and speculation/rumor then runs rampant under the current system. Signing such a release might even be a good way of reminding them that they are under the microscope and should monitor their actions accordingly.

As for Simpson -- who was recently charged with marijuana possession and carrying a gun without a permit during a recent traffic stop -- Shula said he has already decided on some punishment, and "there's some that's depending on the rest of the outcomes."

"I don't know about that," he said. "If he is, it's something that we probably won't announce until later."

What he really said:

"Right now he is working out with the team, then running extra. But if he is convicted, then he will be suspended for the first two games. Unless of course we get behind then it might only be one game or the first quarter of the first game."

"If he gets probation, and the court will allow him to travel out of state with the team, he shouldn't miss too much."

What he really said:

"Right now he is working out with the team, then running extra. But if he is convicted, then he will be suspended for the first two games. Unless of course we get behind then it might only be one game or the first quarter of the first game."

"If he gets probation, and the court will allow him to travel out of state with the team, he shouldn't miss too much."

241142[/snapback]

BINGO ! ! ! :D

p.s. I had no idea that you could speak uat!? B)

Archived