Report: Hundreds of WMDs Found in Iraq

Current military personnel and verterans are mostly conservatives and republicans because they know that the republican party is serious about defending this country,

No, I just think they are the ones the put the most pork into DoD Appropiations.

242920[/snapback]

I don't know what "pork" you're talking about - the military needs / deserves alot more money than it gets.

Maynbe it has do do with the libs constantly downsizing the size of the military, be where sending them to more and more places.

Current military personnel and verterans are mostly conservatives and republicans because they know that the republican party is serious about defending this country,

No, I just think they are the ones the put the most pork into DoD Appropiations.

242920[/snapback]

I don't know what "pork" you're talking about - the military needs / deserves alot more money than it gets.

Maynbe it has do do with the libs constantly downsizing the size of the military, be where sending them to more and more places.

242922[/snapback]

Exactly GoAU!

Channoc, your response just illustrated my point about liberals perfectly. To properly defend the country, the military needs all it can get, which still is usually not enough. Apparently you do not know how hard it is for an enlisted man with a family to live on his salary. They military has never had enough money in it's budget. If liberals had their way, they would get less, so if republicans have to do what they need to do to to make sure the military has what it needs and you want to call it "pork" then so be it. That pork is what keeps you free. Bill Clinton cut the budget and downsized the military. He said that we could rely on the Guard and Reserves if needed. So, whenever liberals complain on how thin the military is spread, I will point them to the 1990s and the attitude that the liberal president had against the military. BTW...veterans are not fighting anymore, so why would the care about "pork" in current military spending? Most veterans are republicans because they know the republican candidate will do the right thing for the defense of the country and not cower to all the pacifists and hippies.

BF, I would be willing to bet any amount of money that 95% of the liberals never served a day in the military.

I would say 90% of Conservatives haven't either

BF, I would be willing to bet any amount of money that 95% of the liberals never served a day in the military.

242930[/snapback]

Take you up on that bet any day pal, any day.

242930[/snapback]

Take you up on that bet any day pal, any day.

242931[/snapback]

Deal

242930[/snapback]

I think it's fair to say that vets would be the minority in either political camp - but there is a much higher representation of vets on the conservative side. And it's not just related to military reasons, issues like personally responsibility for your actions vs. claiming "I'm a victim of my enviroment". As a whole the military is a very conservative culture.

I would agree with that but acting like one side has a lot of Vets and the other doesn't is a bit ridiculous.

Several Military serving men that I know are liberal

I would agree with that but acting like one side has a lot of Vets and the other doesn't is a bit ridiculous.

242942[/snapback]

Were they seperated from service due to "Don't ask, don't tell"??? :D;):cheer::cheer::cheer:

242942[/snapback]

I again disagree with you. Republican veterans heavily outweigh Democratic veterans I would be willing to put any amount of money on it. You claim to know alot of liberal vets, then that is an anamoly I assure you. Again, I am involved in alot of military organizations which have thousands upon thousands of members and you will very, very rarely hear one that sides with the liberals. I don't base this on just a few people I know as you do. Also, it never ceased to amaze me that everytime I met somebody new and they are a conservative, I also learn they were in the military. When I made my 95% comment, I should have worded it better. BF made it sound like liberals were mostly made up of people that served and I had to call him out on that because it was totally bogus. However, I will not stand down from the fact that the overwhelming majority of veterans are conservatives. I have been around way too many veterans and involved in way to many organizations and I have been to DC way to many times on business involving veterans affairs to think otherwise.

Ranger, I base my knowledge off of 4 family member serving in Iraq, a brother currently serving in Iraq, and having attended numerous functions in Belle Chase, LA where many men leave for Iraq.

I, again, have no problem whatsoever saying many men serving are in fact not conservatives.

I am not claiming Democrats have more Vets then Republicans...not at all...but I don't think the Republican base has 10% of people serving. That is downright laughable.

On the one hand, I'd somewhat agree with Ranger that the military probably encourages more conservative opinions and contains/retains more conservatives because of it. However, it would be wrong to assume that liberals don't serve and/or those who serve can't be liberal. On the other hand, I don't know of any scientific study of the statistics one way or another.

Ranger, you can't automatically assume that any of the organizations you are active in is a statistically fair sampling, however. Perhaps liberal vets don't participate in those organizations simply because those groups are mostly conservative and the liberals prefer to spend their time elsewhere. I'm not saying either side is in the wrong, mind you. But just as conservatives might prefer to spend their time doing things other than socializing with Greenpeace folks, liberals might prefer to do things other than hang out with conservatives, even if they are all vets.

In any case, the U.S. has a population of 250-300 million while the all-volunteer armed forces number around only 1 million, more or less, these days. The WWII generation is passing and the U.S. population is becoming more and more dominated by the post-Baby Boom/post-draft generation(s). I'd guess the number of persons of either political persuation with military service represents a very small portion of the U.S. population these days.

How do wish for me to prove I served in Korea and Ft Campbell, Kentucky. I served, did you?

242963[/snapback]

I don't ask you to prove anything - if you did, good for you, and I appreciate your service. But, as a soldier how can you not understand that all of this questioning of the cause can erode the morale of our soldiers while strengthing the resolve of the insurgants? If you served, even during the first Gulf War, surely you can understand that So Damn Insane absolutely needed to be removed?

BTW, yes I served - 14 years and I have a pretty darn good idea of what I'm speaking of.

How do wish for me to prove I served in Korea and Ft Campbell, Kentucky. I served, did you?

242963[/snapback]

I don't ask you to prove anything - if you did, good for you, and I appreciate your service. But, as a soldier how can you not understand that all of this questioning of the cause can erode the morale of our soldiers while strengthing the resolve of the insurgants? If you served, even during the first Gulf War, surely you can understand that So Damn Insane absolutely needed to be removed?

BTW, yes I served - 14 years and I have a pretty darn good idea of what I'm speaking of.

242983[/snapback]

Just curious, why did you get out at 14?

The last few of my years were in the reserves. I basically got promoted to Major in the reserves at the same time as I becam a plant manager. Both those promotions require significantly more time, and I didn't want time with the family to be squeezed out.

Although I was only 6 years from retirement (although really 11 b/c thats a much bigger %) my children are only young once.

The last few of my years were in the reserves.  I basically got promoted to Major in the reserves at the same time as I becam a plant manager.  Both those promotions require significantly more time, and I didn't want time with the family to be squeezed out.

Although I was only 6 years from retirement (although really 11 b/c thats a much bigger %) my children are only young once.

242995[/snapback]

Makes perfectly good sense to me, but Liger says that 95% of those who don't re-up are "dirtbags," so let's keep this just between us. B)

LOL!!! I reupped at least a few times before I became a dirtbag ;)

The unfortunate truth is that too small a % of the population now serves from either party. With my parent's generation all served (WW2 and many if not most also in Korea - my Dad for example). My oldest brother's generation also mostly served in some capacity due to Vietnam and the draft.

I am often struck in large gatherings around Memorial Day or Veteran's Day at church's or sporting events when veterans are asked to stand. You have to look hard to see us. I was in JC convention years ago and the veterans were asked to stand. Out of the 500+ 18 - 32 year olds present, there were less than 10 of us.

I would like to see more service from our young people.

The unfortunate truth is that too small a % of the population now serves from either party.  With my parent's generation all served (WW2 and many if not most also in Korea - my Dad for example).  My oldest brother's generation also mostly served in some capacity due to Vietnam and the draft. 

I am often struck in large gatherings around Memorial Day or Veteran's Day at church's or sporting events when veterans are asked to stand.  You have to look hard to see us.  I was in JC convention years ago and the veterans were asked to stand.  Out of the 500+ 18 - 32 year olds present, there were less than 10 of us.

I would like to see more service from our young people.

243027[/snapback]

There there JT. It is just that at that age range, they are either still serving or really don't go to memorial day, veterans day type of things yet. I have found that young vets kind of shy away from those things until they start getting older. Take me for instance. I have been getting invitations to join the American Legion and 75th RRA for around 10 years before I finally decided to join them. I just had no interest in participating on those things, because the seemed like something for older veterans and I had other things going on. Now I am about to turn 33 and I have been an member of the Legion for only 2 years and 75th RRA for about 4 years. Also, for several years, during celebrations that asked vets to stand up, don't ask me why, but alot of times I did not stand up. I knew I was a vet, but I just did not feel like a vet being so young still. I really did not start calling me self a vet until about four or five years ago. Does that make any sense? Probably not. :lol:

Archived