Honest prediction for UF this year

BamaGrad03

Ive heard nothing short of "UF is setting up to run through the SEC" since the end of last season. And honestly, I just dont get it. I didnt see anything last year that impressed me...and UF didnt have to play AU. Now they play Bama, LSU, AU, UGA all in a row.

I think they go 8-4 this year. That 4 game stretch in the middle is downright brutal.

For now, the media loves Urban Meyer and his teams supposedly improve from year one to year two.

I will give him credit for coming in and posting a 9-3 record in his first year despite the lack of a running game and key injuries to his receivers.

However, I don't season the reasoning of them being so heavily favored in the SEC with so many question marks at running back and on defense. Of course it just might because UT had a down year in 2005 and Georgia is having to replace their starting QB.

UF has been picked to dominate the East/SEC since 2001 outside of 2004.

Say UF doesnt win the East this year, in 2007 it will be the year of "Tebow" and blah blah

UF has been picked to dominate the East/SEC since 2001 outside of 2004.

Say UF doesnt win the East this year, in 2007 it will be the year of "Tebow" and blah blah

245195[/snapback]

Under Mark Richt, he has already proven he can still win when replacing his starting QB, so I'll never count the Bulldogs out while he's the HFC.

I don't understand the love affair with Urban and the Gators either. Florida will win 8-9 games if the running game and defense come along and play SEC caliber ball. BG is right about that 4 game stretch being brutal, but only one is a true road game, at Jordan-Hare. I think the Gators get revenge on Bama, LSU has done well in their last two trips to the Swamp and SLink can fill you in on how well UF does against UGA in Jacksonville.

Lost 3 of 4 starters in the secondary, and now the projected CB Atkins is gone.

Could be trouble when they play a decent offence that can score some points.

Even that offensive power bama lit them up for 30 something last year. :lol:

Even that offensive power bama lit them up for 30 something last year.  :lol:

245255[/snapback]

Bingo! They had some issues on pass defense last season and must replace 75% of their seconday. UF better have a good ball-control offense.

245255[/snapback]

That's it. No secondary results 4 win season. Heck, even Vanderbilt could beat 'em.

245255[/snapback]

That's it. No secondary results 4 win season. Heck, even Vanderbilt could beat 'em.

245311[/snapback]

Vandy did almost beat them, in theSwamp no less if hadn't been for the worst call I have ever seen in any sport.

Florida will never be a great SEC team again until Meyer stops running that spread option BS. SEC defenses are way too fast for it. The stuff that consistantly picked up 6-8 yrds for him in the Mountain West is worth 2-3 at best in the SEC. Urban's a smart man though, I'm sure he's already realized that the Georgia defense moves a little quicker than Wyoming. I bet it still takes him another season or two to tweak his offense to be able to handle that speed. Until then, UF will just keep beating all the teams they're supposed to beat and losing to the teams they're supposed to lose to. And I think by the time Meyer has all that talent firing on all cylinders, CSS may have South Carolina fighting for the East Championship and leaving them behind. But I could be wrong. Its happened before.... (that one time)

That's a good point 05'. I was watching a replay of an interview with Falcons Coach, Jim Mora when he was asked why they don't run the option with such a talented runner like Vick at the helm.

Mora broke it down with a quick explanation of how the DE plays the option and basically remains unblocked on almost every play. The DE can make the decision to crush the QB anytime he wants. Mora ultimately said he didn't run the option because he wanted Vick around longer than the first series of the season.

The defensive speed is far too great in the NFL to run the option. I believe Meyer will find the speed to be too much for his offense in the SEC as well. In addition, I don't think even Florida people are sold on Leak being the type QB to run that offense either. Florida is talented and will win some games, but I think UGA still is the class of the East and will be real dangerous if they find a QB.

I'm not as knowledgable as I'd like to be on this subject, but it seems to me that Meyer's version of the spread offense is pretty much just a modified wishbone.

The formation is a little different to allow for a somewhat expanded passing attack. However, the base package seems to resemble the wishbone more than anything.

How many D1 schools (besides Air Force) run the wishbone anymore?

That's a good point 05'.  I was watching a replay of an interview with Falcons Coach, Jim Mora when he was asked why they don't run the option with such a talented runner like Vick at the helm.

Mora broke it down with a quick explanation of how the DE plays the option and basically remains unblocked on almost every play.  The DE can make the decision to crush the QB anytime he wants.  Mora ultimately said he didn't run the option because he wanted Vick around longer than the first series of the season.

The defensive speed is far too great in the NFL to run the option.  I believe Meyer will find the speed to be too much for his offense in the SEC as well.  In addition, I don't think even Florida people are sold on Leak being the type QB to run that offense either.  Florida is talented and will win some games, but I think UGA still is the class of the East and will be real dangerous if they find a QB.

245364[/snapback]

If you have watched any of Florida's games last year, you would see how many times the QB is getting "crushed." Leak isn't one for getting hit, he is totally out of his element when this starts happening.

I'm not as knowledgable as I'd like to be on this subject, but it seems to me that Meyer's version of the spread offense is pretty much just a modified wishbone.

The formation is a little different to allow for a somewhat expanded passing attack. However, the base package seems to resemble the wishbone more than anything.

How many D1 schools (besides Air Force) run the wishbone anymore?

245410[/snapback]

To UM's credit, the spread option is a lot quicker developing than the wishbone in that it relies on dump passes and shuffle passes to redirect the flow of the play quickly. However it still involves a lot of lateral motion which kills you more and more as the defenses you play get faster. But you are right they are somewhat similar, it's just that the spread offense is.... well.... a lot more spread out, and it sitll involves a pretty complex passing game, unlike the wishbone. It's basically a fusing together of the west coast offense and the option offense. It's a gimmick if you ask me, but a fairly effective one for the time being, but I think in the next couple of years it will be exposed as a gimmick offense and no one will run it anymore.

To answer your question, though: Paul Johnson (who used to be at GA Southern) runs the heck out of the option. But its not really from thh "wishbone" its more of a "flexbone"... like the spread but a lot more run heavy. I think they racked up like 550 yrds of total offense in their bowl game and only threw the ball maybe 10 times (and only completed 1/2 of those)

"How many D1 schools (besides Air Force) run the wishbone anymore?"

Not many because about 30 years ago coaches started figuring out how to stop it, athletes got better and besides, what NFL caliber player wants to play for a college that uses an offense the pros are not interested in? But there's a HUGE difference in preparing for the flexbone vs. the wishbone. I don't believe a team can prepare in one week for a wishbone offense run w/ top claiber Div. 1 players. If a Texas or even a UCLA (instead of Air Force) suddenly showed up today running it well and consistently, opposing coachess wouldn't have TIME to prepare for it. Of course it would also be a career maker or breaker for the coach w/ cahunas enough to try using it again.

I think UF has a chance to win the East by default...due mostly to having an experienced QB, which cannot be overstated. Ainge won't get it done at UT, and UGA is in trouble, at least early, at the position. Leak, and any kind of a running game, is the key. If they they play decent, who will beat them (besides us, of course)?

:au::homer:

I think Bama will beat them again and probably LSU. UF's schedule is way too brutal to come out without AT LEAST 3 losses but maybe 4.

I think Bama will beat them again and probably LSU. UF's schedule is way too brutal to come out without AT LEAST 3 losses but maybe 4.

245923[/snapback]

Even so...the other usual suspects could be right there with them in losses, but lose to UF too...so UF wins the East.

:au::homer:

I think UF has a chance to win the East by default...due mostly to having an experienced QB, which cannot be overstated. Ainge won't get it done at UT, and UGA is in trouble, at least early, at the position. Leak, and any kind of a running game, is the key. If they they play decent, who will beat them (besides us, of course)?

:au:   :homer:

245920[/snapback]

UF has no OL whatsoever.

UF fans rationalize it by saying their older players weren't used to the system and whatnot. I don't buy it.

The better OL's played last year. Their new OL's are going to be in for a shock come SEC play.

Without a running game, Leak is everyone's meat.

Link...wasnt their OL garbage last year too?

I remember in the bama game it was just a bum rush for leak since there was no running game to keep us honest.

I remember in the bama game it was just a bum rush for leak since there was no running game to keep us honest.

246390[/snapback]

They averaged giving up 2.92 sacks/gm..... Minnesota was best averaging 0.25 sacks/gm. UGA was best in SEC at 1.54 spg

UF biggest hurdle is going to be the OL and running game. That is what hurt thme last year. Meyer saw this, thus his comments about scratching the TB position. The toss up b/t UGA, UT and UF is the same as usual. UT by far may have the most returning talent, but new OC and Ainge has yet to prove anything. No Clausen, so now it is Ainge or newbie., since Cooter got kicked off the team. I do think UGa is going to be good again. They ought to have a fantastic running game. Interesting to see how the new QB will do. Replacing big guys on the D will be tough, but UGA has not had problems recruiting so I am sure they have the talent.

since Cooter got kicked off the team.

246400[/snapback]

It's a shame that UT doesn't have him as a backup - since Ainge has shown a tendency to get hurt, they might need him by the Arkansas game. If Mustain is redshirted, then it would be Johnson or Dick going head-to-head with Cooter while the Hogs try to keep Nutt from going bust in F-ville.

246390[/snapback]

Absolutely, and they have less of a running game headed into '06 if that is even possible.

I look for them to have a minimum of 3 losses and most likely 4 this year.

Archived