If Sporting News says it,

Captain Liger

I don't know if this article has been posted but here ya go. There's nothing in it that we don't already know, as :au: people, but it's good to see national press outlets saying things like this. It would do ESPN and the NYT to follow suit. Finescum can go to hell.

AUBURN TIGERS

Story: Matt Hayes, Sporting News

Look, we're not idiots - and neither are you.  Everybody knows Auburn didn't win last year's SEC title.  The Tigers didn't even qualify for the SEC Championship Game.  But is there any doubt which SEC team was playing the best by the end of the season?

Had it not been for some inexplicable special teams blunders - such as five missed field goals in a 20-17 loss to LSU - Auburn could have been playing for its second straight league championship.

The Tigers will make up for it this season.

The schedule is favorable - LSU, Florida and Georgia all come to The Plains - and most of the team's key players return.  All we need now is a little nonconference schedule controversy, and we're set for a repeat of 2004, when Auburn went unbeaten but failed to make the BCS national championship game.

Auburn has become one of the SEC's most consistent powers and finally has taken over the state from bitter rival Alabama, winning four straight Iron Bowl games.  For a long time, Auburn was viewed as a team that played down to its competition and rarely played up to it in big games.  That's no longer the case.  Since '04, Auburn has won 22 of 25 games and 16 of 17 SEC contests.

The victories will continue to pile up this season.  There is a wealth of talent, and new defensive coordinator Will Muschamp is a key addition.

Sporting news said it in 2003...howd that preseason #1 ranking work out?

No offense, but Sporting News has had a PRO AU slant to it for some time. They talk about AU playing the best ball in the SEC at season's end?...didnt AU get hammered in their bowl game?

Dont get me wrong. I think AU will be good this year and has a solid solid program. But TSN has been all mushy over AU for a while.

You MAY have a point. Weren't these the same folks that proclaimed uat as being "back"? (ELEVEN sacks???)

:lol::lol::roflol::roflol::poke:

Had it not been for some inexplicable special teams blunders - such as five missed field goals in a 20-17 loss to LSU - Auburn could have been playing for its second straight league championship

No mention of our Kicker missing a field goal... a dropped TD pass in the 4th quarter... and a dropped TD pass in overtime. And not just typical drops, but wide open receivers hit in the chest.

Of course, no mention either that without a terrible "landing on an opponent" call in '04 Auburn's greatest team/season in history would not exist.

I compare this call with the non bush push call in 05. Of course, with USC, everyone jokes around and says how it's the greatest play in history.

OH well, past is past, i just get upset when I see writers continually refer back to the missed field goals but leave out the 2 dropped TD's.

No offense, but Sporting News has had a PRO AU slant to it for some time. They talk about AU playing the best ball in the SEC at season's end?...didnt AU get hammered in their bowl game?

Dont get me wrong. I think AU will be good this year and has a solid solid program. But TSN has been all mushy over AU for a while.

246725[/snapback]

Towards the end of the regular season, many people were saying Auburn was playing the best ball in the SEC.

Yes, we got hammered in our bowl game, but I think they were referring to the end of season play.

246725[/snapback]

Towards the end of the regular season, many people were saying Auburn was playing the best ball in the SEC.

Yes, we got hammered in our bowl game, but I think they were referring to the end of season play.

246734[/snapback]

Right you are. WE were not the SEC Champs...We just beat 'em ! ! ! :au::cheer:

Had it not been for some inexplicable special teams blunders - such as five missed field goals in a 20-17 loss to LSU - Auburn could have been playing for its second straight league championship

No mention of our Kicker missing a field goal... a dropped TD pass in the 4th quarter... and a dropped TD pass in overtime. And not just typical drops, but wide open receivers hit in the chest.

Of course, no mention either that without a terrible "landing on an opponent" call in '04 Auburn's greatest team/season in history would not exist.

I compare this call with the non bush push call in 05. Of course, with USC, everyone jokes around and says how it's the greatest play in history.

OH well, past is past, i just get upset when I see writers continually refer back to the missed field goals but leave out the 2 dropped TD's.

246730[/snapback]

They also leave out a dropped TD pass for Auburn. Nor do they mention the the multiple drops our recievers had that would have resulted in first downs, no drop pass.. no punt... no LSU TD from Green. I had Daniels, who was a sr reciever in 04 in class, and he said that game was lost cause of Auburns recievers.

Far as 04, the call was a correct call and not a no call... your argument is that it should have been a no call. Ask the kid from Boise or Utah that is paralyzed from the neck down this call was designed around what he thinks. Course LSU fans forget the phantom personal foul away from the ball facemask on a failed 3rd down which moved LSU into field goal range. Or how about Websters push in Mix's back on 4th and goal that should have resulted in another 4 downs.

Easy, turbo... Without that call the game would've only been tied. Remember, PAT's only count for one point when you kick them. I know the math is though.

I'm sure that if the ref would have let that call slide J. Russell would've marched the troops right down the field and scored instead of throwing an interception. Good thing Tubs remembered to pay that guy, we could've been in all kinds of trouble...

PS- LSU has a good team, please stop acting like UAT. There is no need to rationalize your losses, or defend your victories.

please stop acting like UAT. There is no need to rationalize your losses

Really? Because three or four Auburn folks have done that already in this thread.

That is true...up until the bowl games AU was playing solid ball.

246725[/snapback]

Please, please, please, please stop whining.

Just because someone doesn't honk on Bama's bobo doesn't mean that he/she/it has "a PRO AU slant".

246730[/snapback]

Please have some gumbo with that whine. :nopity:

I always wonder how far off they were in 2003 with the talent.

Noone could predict that Nalls offense would be as ineffective and predictable as it was. Imagine if we would have hired Borges then or Petrino had stayed as OC, its quite possible that they would have been right on the money.

I always wonder how far off they were in 2003 with the talent. 

Noone could predict that Nalls offense would be as ineffective and predictable as it was. Imagine if we would have hired Borges then or Petrino had stayed as OC, its quite possible that they would have been right on the money.

246789[/snapback]

Oh the talent was there...very few predicted the Nallsminger blunder though, myself included.

Ya, I agree we had the talent. What I meant is with that talent and a capable OC is what would our record have been, would we have pulled off a undefeated season.

I'm with you, I didn't think that Nallsminger would have been anywhere near as bad as it was either.

246725[/snapback]

Yeah, good thing Wisconsin isn't in the SEC or that wouldn't have been true statement. Fortunately, we got to finish against such weak sisters as :ua: and :uga: .

Just because someone doesn't honk on Bama's bobo doesn't mean that he/she/it has "a PRO AU slant".

You're right...their 2003 Pre Season #1 ranking was dead on.

And putting Will Herring on the pre season all conference team this year was a GREAT call. I mean Juwan Simpson is only a Freshmen all american at his position and a 2 time all sec player. But hey...lets put a guy WHOS NEVER PLAYED THE POSITION on our pre season all sec team over a guy with the hardware.

And putting Will Herring on the pre season all conference team this year was a GREAT call. I mean Juwan Simpson is only a Freshmen all american at his position and a 2 time all sec player. But hey...lets put a guy WHOS NEVER PLAYED THE POSITION on our pre season all sec team over a guy with the hardware.

246802[/snapback]

You can't make all SEC if you are incarcerated.

246802[/snapback]

They're just spreading the accolades - Juwannatoke is already first team All-American in High Times.... :poke:

Yea and Juwan may not even play :P JK we all know he will. And Will was on some all-sec lists as a DB I believe and we all know his FS position was basically just a LB playing further back

Yea..........Juwana's nickname should be "Mean Machine".....Longest Yard. When they put out the '03 Issue at first I was like.....Heck Yea, but then reality set in........and I said as I say now, any time you bring in a New OC or even Two (even if they've been in the system for one or more years) the Offense will lag behind some of If Not Most of the season. It is Always Easier to bring in a New DC and win Ball Games than it is a OC........

I can't wait to Frame that Magazine......Right next to my '03 one, LOL.

I'm not saying that we can't go undefeated, I think it's Very Possible depending on the outcome of the WSU game. If we win that one, we'll have the Momentum going into our next 2-3 games. I'm just saying that I've got the '03 Mag........No wait Jumbo has the '03 Magazine signed by Carnell and framed, Damn him. :P

War "BY GOD" Eagle

Archived