Biggest questions heading into '06

JB33

The biggest issues I see in looking at the upcoming season - i.e., the things that have to go right for Auburn to have a successful (READ: CHAMPIONSHIP) season are:

1. Health of the most critical personnel - namely:

a. Brandon Cox - No offense to Blake Field, but I wouldn't like his chances against the SEC's elite.

b. Kenny Irons - Depth is strong at TB, but KI is SEC battle-tested. Not sure Lester or Tate are ready (yet) to be championship backs.

c. Courtney Taylor - Again, there's talent here (Prechae, Dunn, Trott, etc.), but I doubt any are ready to be the "go-to" receiver if CT goes down.

[All three of the above are also great team leaders, BTW.]

2. I say again . . . For AU to win a championship (or two??), Johnny Vaughn will HAVE to make a clutch FG (or two or three or four).

3. Defensive issues:

a. Must get over the decline during the latter (sp?) part of last season - specifically by being (much) more physical.

b. There's talent and experience, but at least one or more individuals need to step up their games to All-SEC / All-Am level (a la C Rogers, J Rosegreen, etc. in '04).

c. Most / all of this needs to happen on or before September 17 (LSU).

I think CWM will see that a and (if it can be done) c get resolved. As for b, a few specific thoughts:

*J Thompson and C Browder (and T Doolittle, S Marks, et al) may have a tough time matching the physical presence on the interior that TJ Jackson (hugely underrated, IMHO) and W Dickens provided last year - those guys (esp TJ) were basically immovable.

*Q Groves has the stage pretty much to himself now; he needs to be in the backfield wreaking havoc regularly - a la (when healthy) McClover.

*D Irons looks great, J Willhite is underrated (IMHO), and T Davis will be fine, but someone (S Gandy, E Brock, whoever) has got to be a rock at strong safety. (I still say that, of all the great players in the Class of '04, the one we missed most last year was J Rosegreen. Again, got to be more physical.)

*I'm generally optimistic about LB with W Herring, K Dede, T Blackmon, M Johnson (and K Sears?), but, particularly given that CWM's style should give them lots of opportunities, one of them (if not more) needs to become a force.

That's my $.02. Yours?

All good points there JB, but the one area I think even more critical is at OL. I know we have basically 3 returning starters in GRubbs, Cope, and Duckworth. Dunlap, Hart, Daniels, Palmer, and Gonzalez are going to have to step it up. Especially Dunlap, Hart, and Daniels as two of these 3 will be starting OT. I think they are more than capable adn all have game experience. We need them to be the same caliber as McNiel and Reddick have been the past couple of years.

imo, o-line play will be fine by the lsu game. as bad as he was as an OC, nall is a great ol coach, and we have a LOT of talent and depth on the OL.

i have to agree that DCWM will have us being as physical a defense as we've been since the 80s, but I am worried about replacing the rock that was jackson on the interior.

i can't wait to see herring's play as a LB. as a safety, he couldn't cover my bar tab, but he does like to hit.

your first point was the important one. we have had a couple of injuries over the last season or 2 but we've been a pretty healthy team since 2002.

DT is the only thing I'm worried about!

247120[/snapback]

I am not as worried about DT as I am OT. Dunlap is supposed to be very quick on his feet for a gargantuan, but he will have to protect Brandon's backside and if something happens to King, the backups have virtually no experience.

I am not as worried about DT as I am OT. Dunlap is supposed to be very quick on his feet for a gargantuan, but he will have to protect Brandon's backside and if something happens to King, the backups have virtually no experience.

I too am not worried about the defensive side of the ball, and the o-line is my only concern with the offense. However, J. Palmer(projected RT) will be protecting Cox's blind side. Still, I believe I speak for the :au: nation when I say that nothing gets our attention moreso than when Vaughn steps on the field.

My $.02

Other than the lsWHO dissaster, John had a good season in '05. His % rate was higher than the uat kicker and they call him "money". :rolleyes:

Other than the lsWHO dissaster, John had a good season in '05. His % rate was higher than the uat kicker and they call him "money". :rolleyes:

247291[/snapback]

That's only to remind them of what they still owe him from coming to UAT to play.

Other than the lsWHO dissaster, John had a good season in '05. His % rate was higher than the uat kicker and they call him "money".  :rolleyes:

Lets not compare Vaughn to someone that looks like they belong in a bad western.

How does he compare to kickers on consistent teams such as :uga: , or teams with traditionally good PKs such as Ohio St.?

No slam intended, but our players, especially the defense, need to stay away from the alcohol. :(

3 issues -- all starters or projected major contributors -- all on defense.

No slam intended, but our players, especially the defense, need to stay away from the alcohol.  :(

3 issues -- all starters or projected major contributors -- all on defense.

247320[/snapback]

They just need to get a driver and be responsible.

I too am not worried about the defensive side of the ball, and the o-line is my only concern with the offense. However, J. Palmer(projected RT) will be protecting Cox's blind side. Still, I believe I speak for the :au: nation when I say that nothing gets our attention moreso than when Vaughn steps on the field.

My $.02

247286[/snapback]

Fair point re: OL. Personally, even though McNeill and Reddick were big losses, I'm (cautiously :huh: ) optimistic. The coaches have been high on Dunlap since he arrived. Hart, although he's evidently had his share of problems, played well enough in his only career start to be named SEC lineman of the week. And the NFL apparently thinks enough of J Palmer already to draft him, plus he's played well when called upon (particularly UGA last year - coming in at center late in the game and not letting the offense miss a beat) - my feeling is that he's one of those 5th years who's had to wait his turn, and now he'll finally get to show what he can do. And obviously all three have plenty of experience, albeit as back-ups, and Palmer and Hart (sort of) can play multiple positions if the need arises. Hopefully at least two of the three are ready to take over the tackles . . .

As to the defense, b/c of the uat game (specifically the tide's woeful pass protection), a lot of people forgot about how they were basically torched by Wiscy, UGA and ( :o ) UK. That said, hopefully the biggest weakness was remedied when CTT hired CWM . . .

Archived