Academics will be the No. 1 topic @ Media Days

DKW 86

http://www.al.com/sports/huntsvilletimes/j...7870.xml&coll=1

Academics will be the No. 1 topic at SEC Media Days

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Huntsville Times

A week from today, hundreds of sports writers, columnists, straight-news reporters, TV and radio journalists, analysts, commentators, cameramen, photographers and who-knows-who-else will congregate at the posh Wynfrey Hotel in Hoover.

The occasion will be the start of the annual preseason madness called Southeastern Conference Media Days, a three-day two-ring circus that commences on Wednesday and carries on through Friday

According to the format, four SEC schools - represented by the head coaches and two selected players from each team - take turns on successive days, running the gauntlet of print and electronic media, who're conveniently separated into two different ballrooms.

Alabama, Georgia, Kentucky and Vanderbilt have the floor on Wednesday, followed by Arkansas, Ole Miss, South Carolina and Tennessee on Thursday and Auburn, Florida, LSU and Mississippi State on Friday.

Guess what everybody will be talking about all three days?

Yep. You guessed it.

Between now and a week from now, rest assured that administrators and football department personnel from at least 11 of the 12 SEC schools will meet several times to get their stories straight on the two-part Question of the Month: Namely, what's your reaction to The New York Times story about the Auburn sociology professor who squealed on a colleague for passing out easy grades in '04 to athletes and non-athletes? And how does your school handle so-called independent studies courses and other non-traditional classes where athletes are involved?

It goes without saying that Auburn's Tommy Tuberville and his two players, senior linebacker Will Herring and senior wide receiver Courtney Taylor, will bear the brunt of the interrogation.

But Tuberville isn't on stage until the last day. By then, Mike Shula, Mark Richt, Rich Brooks, Bobby Johnson, Houston Nutt, Ed Orgeron, Steve Spurrier and Phillip Fulmer will have already had their say, along with 16 players.

For the record, Herring is majoring in exercise science and Taylor in business marketing.

Of the other 22 SEC players scheduled to attend Media Days, only one - Florida senior quarterback Chris Leak - is majoring in sociology.

The other Gator player in attendance, senior lineman Mark Thomas, majors in anthropology.

Huntsville natives Ken Darby and Ramzee Robinson, Alabama's two representatives, are majoring in communications and management, respectively.

The other players and their fields of study include: Arkansas - Marcus Monk (honors student in education) and Sam Olajubuto (kinesiology); Georgia - Nick Jones (risk management and insurance) and Quentin Moses (recreation and leisure Studies); Kentucky - Keenan Burton (agricultural communications) and Wesley Woodyard (social work); LSU - Dwayne Bowe (general studies) and LaRon Landry (communication studies); Ole Miss - Robert Lane (parks and recreation management) and Patrick Willis (criminal justice); Mississippi State - Michael Henig and Jeramie Johnson (both interdisciplinary studies); South Carolina - Fred Bennett (hotel, restaurant and tourism management) and Mike Davis (criminal justice); Tennessee - Justin Harrell (sports management) and Arron Sears (arts and aciences); and Vanderbilt - Jonathan Goff (mechanical engineering) and Brian Stamper (human and organizational development).

Doubtless this is the first time in the history of SEC Media Days that the field of studies of the participating players have been published in advance.

Call it a sign of the times.

I am not trying to flame or get anything started, but what is (recreation and leisure Studies) just an honest question not a negative reflection on Quentin Moses.

I am not trying to flame or get anything started, but what is  (recreation and leisure Studies) just an honest question not a negative reflection on Quentin Moses.

249799[/snapback]

Not sure what it involves, but those are the people that work for like say Auburn Parks and Recreation. Probably YMCA's and stuff that do alot of after school programs for kids.

I am not trying to flame or get anything started, but what is  (recreation and leisure Studies) just an honest question not a negative reflection on Quentin Moses.

249799[/snapback]

It is a very common major among schloraship student-athletes. Same for "exercise science," "communication studies" & "recreation managment."

With "majors" like these, I think it's hypocritical for anyone to be claiming academic integrity is in jeopardy at AU because of the actions within the Sociology Dept.

249799[/snapback]

It is a very common major among schloraship student-athletes. Same for "exercise science," "communication studies" & "recreation managment."

With "majors" like these, I think it's hypocritical for anyone to be claiming academic integrity is in jeopardy at AU because of the actions within the Sociology Dept.

249803[/snapback]

Ouch, I'm exercise science.

249799[/snapback]

249803[/snapback]

249805[/snapback]

Sorry. My observation is from noting the majors of many a football player over the years and that one seems to pop up quite a bit. How close are you to graduating and are there many student-athletes in your classes at AU?

249799[/snapback]

Not sure what it involves, but those are the people that work for like say Auburn Parks and Recreation. Probably YMCA's and stuff that do alot of after school programs for kids.

249801[/snapback]

Ok so its something akin to social work, that’s cool I had just never heard of it before kind of surprising to me at least, I was a duel major (History and Psychology) and never ran into anyone with this major. Oh well thanks for the info.

249799[/snapback]

249803[/snapback]

249805[/snapback]

Sorry. My observation is from noting the majors of many a football player over the years and that one seems to pop up quite a bit. How close are you to graduating and are there many student-athletes in your classes at AU?

249807[/snapback]

Two classes, would have graduated this summer if grandmother didn't have stroke :( .

I have never had a football player or basketball player, with the exception of the Wellness class, in one of my major classes. If I did, then it was one that noone knew. Usually if I had a athlete they were from swimming and I can remember two softball girls. You didn't go into class and half of it athletes, was one or two usually at the most.

Did have a guy that came back to finish his degree that played 90-94, Osbourne I think was his last name.... lineman. Was in my exercise science research class with Gladden. Required a 18-20 page research proposal paper that was designed with the requirements they use for graduate students.

Some of the health promotion classes I took as elective had baseball players, and had couple equestrian girls. No idea on the baseball guys, but the equestrian girls were smart.

The order of difficulty in that department goes exercise science, health promotion, and then physical education majors and you see those in one class.

Two classes, would have graduated this summer if grandmother didn't have stroke :( .

I have never had a football player or basketball player, with the exception of the Wellness class, in one of my major classes.  If I did, then it was one that noone knew. Usually if I had a athlete they were from swimming and I can remember two softball girls. You didn't go into class and half of it athletes, was one or two usually at the most.

Did have a guy that came back to finish his degree that played 90-94, Osbourne I think was his last name.... lineman. Was in my exercise science research class with Gladden. Required a 18-20 page research proposal paper that was designed with the requirements they use for graduate students.

Some of the health promotion classes I took as elective had baseball players, and had couple equestrian girls. No idea on the baseball guys, but the equestrian girls were smart.

The order of difficulty in that department goes exercise science, health promotion, and then physical education majors and you see those in one class.

249834[/snapback]

Thanks for educating me on Exercise Science. Does the kinesiology major factor into this same department as well?

I hope you get around to finishing your degree, btw. War Eagle.

This is the major, its not engineering or chemistry, but not a gimmie

Exercise Science. A non-teaching program to prepare students for

graduate study in the exercise science sub-disciplines (biomechanics,

exercise physiology, and motor behavior) and entry into professional

programs such as medicine, physical therapy, and occupational therapy.

This program does not require admission to Teacher Education.

Curriculum in Exercise Science

BIOL 1020 Principles of Biology and Lab (1021) ............. 4 **

BIOL 1030 Organismal Biology and Lab (1031) ...............** 4

ENGL 1100 1120 English Composition I & II .............................. 3 3

MATH 1150 Pre Cal Alg & Trig ...........................................** 4

Core History ................................................... 3 3

Core Social Science ....................................... 3 **

PHED 1100 Wellness ........................................................ **

PHED Elective ......................................................... **

ENGL 2200 2210 World Literature I & II ...................................... 3 3

MATH 1610 Calculus I ........................................................ 4 **

Core Fine Arts ................................................ 3 **

Core Philosophy .............................................** 3

Core Social Science ....................................... 3 **

BIOL 2500 2510 Human A & P I & II ......................................... 4 4

Elective ...........................................................** 3

CHEM 1030 Fundamentals of Chemistry I ......................... 3 **

CHEM 1031 Fundamentals of Chemistry I LAB ................. 1 **

PHYS 1500 General Physics I ........................................... 4 **

HLHP 010 Ins Tch Hum Per ........................................... **

HLHP 0 0 Sci Foun HLHP .............................................. **

HLHP 0 Biomech Analysis ........................................ **

HLHP 50 Motor Lrng & Perf........................................ **

HLHP 80 Physiology Ex ............................................... **

Elective ...........................................................** 4

HLHP 0 Introduction to Exercise Sci Res ................ **

HLHP 80 Exercise Science Research ........................ **

Exercise Science Electives ..........................

PHED Elective ............................................... **

Exercise Science Elective ........................... **

Electives ......................................................... 6 6

My electives were Nutrition, Sport Psychology, Exercise Tech I&II, Exercise Prescription and I dipped some sub 3000 lvl Psych classes that didn't count toward my Psychology degree (drugs and sex lol). Had a computer science class that sub'd for that Ins Tch class, its some computer class.

Thanks for the kind words about finishing it will be done, least I get another football season right lol.

And ya, kinesiology is this major. We just got a different name for it. If you look at LSU's classes for kinesiology they are almost all the same (school I could think of that called it that). Some people call it Exercise Physiology.

They are usually structured the same, have one designed with idea of research and graduate school (ex science), have one that is designed for wellness center settings for hospitals and they drop the sciences and take business classes (principals finance, management, marketing etc) which is our health promotion, then you have the physical edcation majors who take I think the intro class and that computer class.

GREAT news ! ! !

After all, Auburn is the #1 School in the SEC as relates to academics/football!

Quentin Moses (recreation and leisure Studies)

Wow, where's the NYT article smearing UGA for letting this kid major in Recreation and Leisure Studies? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Moses is actually a very educated speaking person.

249952[/snapback]

I am sure he is, I was not trying to imply otherwise. I was just curious about what the major involved b/c I had never heard of it.

Slink, it doesnt feel good does it? Having a guy you know better about slammed by someone that doesnt know a thing about them. Well, crank it up to the NYT level and imagine how we feel.

Good thing to look at for :au:

At least we are not Duke!

IS course smear...

Rape case smear...

QB plagiarism....

etc.

Things could be worse...

Slink, it doesnt feel good does it? Having a guy you know better about slammed by someone that doesnt know a thing about them. Well, crank it up to the NYT level and imagine how we feel.

DKW, I think UGA had it much worse in the Harrick scandal.

Now, let me say I am talking about the amount UGA got screwed in comparison to how much AU is getting screwed. I know that UGA did cheat while AU didn't in the articles.

ESPN Shows, Interviews, Articles on front page of ESPN.COM were all parts of the UGA thing yet in the end 1/10th of the allegations came true....no mass payments, no massive grade cheating, ext....

We took our team (who could have been a Sweet 16 team) out of the NCAA tournament for no reason at the end of the investigation

Archived