DKW 86

http://greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...=73251348714878

USC denies Gray admission

Star forward attended one of 22 high schools under NCAA]

Published: Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 6:00 am

By Rick Scoppe

COLUMBIA BUREAU

rscoppe@greenvillenews.com

COLUMBIA -- The University of South Carolina has denied admission to basketball recruit Chad Gray of Florida Preparatory Academy, one of 22 schools cleared academically by the NCAA for players entering college this fall but subject to further review.

USC President Andrew Sorensen said Wednesday he made the decision after talking with Athletic Director Eric Hyman, who said "a lot of research" went into the matter, although he declined to say what he recommended to Sorensen.

"He and I have discussed this student from Florida Prep," Sorensen said, "and we have decided not to admit him. I made a recommendation we not recruit this individual."

Gray, a 6-foot-7 forward from Kingstree, said he had been cleared by the NCAA Clearinghouse with a 2.5 grade point average and an 820 on the SAT he earned before he left Kingstree two years ago.

Advertisement

"When coach Odom called me with the news explaining I would not be able to attend USC on a basketball scholarship it seemed as if my world was coming to an end," Gray said, reading from a prepared statement. "I took a deep breath, said a prayer, gathered my thoughts and I sat down with my family to discuss the matter.

"What I don't understand is how the president of the university has made a decision not let me attend without making an attempt to even meet me. I have met all academic requirements.

"I am a fully qualified. I have been cleared by NCAA Clearinghouse. Other players that went to Florida Prep this year are enrolled in other SEC schools and universities. This is not right."

Sorensen said he wasn't aware the NCAA had cleared Gray academically.

"But the NCAA has what I regard as absolutely minimal requirements," he said. "So the fact that the NCAA has cleared him doesn't mean he's eligible for admission to the University of South Carolina because our standards of admission are higher than the NCAA minimum."

Coach Dave Odom declined to discuss the details surrounding the decision, saying only that "Chad's application for admission has been denied. We have exhausted every avenue to get him admitted. We have not been successful. I feel bad for the kid and I feel bad for our team."

"I feel really bad for Chad personally because I've gotten to know him. It's my belief that he worked extremely hard and did everything he did over the past two years because he wanted to be a Gamecock."

Three other Southeastern Conference schools admitted players who graduated from schools on the list of 22 announced earlier this month by the NCAA as part of that organization's investigation into the academic standards of certain high schools.

Alabama and Arkansas admitted players from Genesis One Christian Academy in Mendenhall, Mass., while Georgia accepted a player from Oak Hill Academy in the Mouth of Wilson, Va., according to school officials.

"I was not aware of that," Sorensen said. I really can't be responsible for what the other schools do. But I certainly will make sure when the presidents meet in October - as you know I'm the president of the SEC now --we will revisit this issue."

Hyman said USC investigated the case thoroughly, adding that you can't paint that list (of 22) with a broad brush, saying they're all the same. I've done research. There are some institutions that have a lot of red flags. There's a lot of institutions that have hardly anything."

"That's why I said to you the evaluation is done based on the merits of every situation."

Gray originally committed to Florida State in football as a junior but later decided he wanted to play basketball for USC. After discussions with Odom, Gray decided to go to IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla., but after a semester transferred to Florida Prep in Port Charlotte, Fla., because he said he wasn't "comfortable" at the elite IMG.

Sorensen? Now where have I heard THAT name before?...hmmm.....

I have to admit, I feel sorry for the kid. His grades and scores may not be up there with the best, but he did do the work he needed to do to get cleared. I do understand there is

some credbility issues with some of these prep schools, but this one has been cleared. Hey, I mean the boy has qualified and USC's president is trying to act like they are MIT with his "our standards are higher then the NCAA's standards" remark. Give me a break! I think it shows how much the president researched this when he was told how other schools accepted these guys and he did not know that and also the fact that he did not even know the kid passed the NCCA clearinghouse.

I don't see what this has to do with UAT...but thats just as well, I don't care to read another article about what they are doing.

It sucks for this kid, but people get turned down from schools everyday, so lots of people go through it.

Archived